Author Topic: Dough, the old man's ghost is watching  (Read 1139 times)

Offline expieguy

• I Love Pizza!
Dough, the old man's ghost is watching
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:09:31 AM »
Okay, so I used to work at a New York style pizza parlour in Seattle. One of the most popular in the University District of Seattle, this would be the are around the University of Washington. People would come from the far corners of western Washington for a slice or two of our distinct pies. Our shop catered mostly to students but also to the various business types, University administrators, other U-district wage earners and the street rats.

The Old Man was Russian by way of New York and had developed his recipes from a small corner pie joint from The City.

I haven't worked there for almost seven years. I've been trying to replicate the dough almost as long.

Thank god (or Bog) for this forum.

This recipe-

2 7/8 C of KA Bread flour (can't get high gluten)
11/8 C warm water 105 degree
1 pkg ADY
3/4 t Mediterranian Sea Salt

was close but the water was too warm and there was too much yeast used.

This-

3 C of KA Bread flour (can't get high gluten)
11/8 C room temp
1/2 tsp yeast
3/4 t French Sea Salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

was closer to what the old man made but still wasn't quite close. Too bready. Didn't brown up like it should- yes, I am using a Daltek #40 red clay stone.

I work at Whole Foods here in Seattle and just noticed that the bulk grocery section carries gluten flour. Of course, I didn't ask if it was high gluten and just bought some.

Now, here's the deal. I made the above recipe but the dough, after mixing, comes out brown and stringy. Like it's oxidizing. But it shouldn't, it's dough not a stone fruit.

From the mixer I work it and it feels right but looks like %$#. Literally, brown and dirty.

The second batch is in the fridge but it still doesn't look right.

So, here's how it was made-

Three cups gluten flour into the mixer along with one cup water. One quarter cup water and yeast mixed and set aside for fifteen minutes. All other dry ingridients added to flour.

After fifteen minutes yeast/water thrown into mixer and mixing started. Anotherr fifteen minutes a stringy dough ball is extracted and worked over (you know, worked into a ball).

A brown ball of pizza dough.

It's now in the fridge and I guess we'll see how it works out but I'm wondering if this gluten flour is not the flour one should use.

We'll see.

Later,

Expieguy John

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough, the old man's ghost is watching
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:41:45 PM »
You sure it's flour, not vital wheat gluten?

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:24:59 AM »
gottabedpan - that's what I thought too when I read it.  Here is a link that may help what VWG (Vital Wheat Gluten) is. 

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=222

It's used at 3~5% to help lower gluten (protien) flours obtain the characteristics of high gluten flour. 

I would check the label on the gluten flour you purchased to see what you have.  If it is VWG, the batch in the fridge is probably no good.  Do not throw the remainder of the flour away as it can be used to make pizza's with the correct ratio with plain flour.

Regards,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »
I agree. What you used is an additive and should not be used for the whole dough.

pizzapan