Author Topic: Different pizza today from the same dough  (Read 4002 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Different pizza today from the same dough
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Musky

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
No stretch and fold, Norma?  Just that vigorous mixing?

Kevin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
No stretch and fold, Norma?  Just that vigorous mixing?

Kevin

Kevin,

That is the way I mix the Detroit style of dough at market, so there are no stretch and folds at home, or at market.  Stretch and folds at market would take me too long when I am also making other kinds of doughs.

I really should have added more IDY to the formulation but I wanted the other two dough balls to be good for tomorrow. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
In my opinion the short time dough worked out well, which was a little surprising to me.  The bottom was crunchy again and all of the edges were caramelized because I added a little more of the mild white cheddar.  The dough that was tempering in the cutter pan in the oven was put on top of the stove while the pizza stone warmed up.  That took care of the fermentation.  It was less than 45 minutes that it took for the pizza stone to heat up.

The dressings were the same as the last time.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
Norma

Offline Musky

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
Boom!  You have this one down.  Looks great.

Kevin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Boom!  You have this one down.  Looks great.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!  I have to try some more though so I will get faster.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Wow, that very last pick, with the side view of the crust/rim shot looks to be about half dough and half cheese caramelized goodness, no?  :chef:
That is fab pizza man.  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
Wow, that very last pick, with the side view of the crust/rim shot looks to be about half dough and half cheese caramelized goodness, no?  :chef:
That is fab pizza man.  :drool:

The rim crust did have caramelized goodness.  I always liked a cheese caramelized rim.

Norma

Offline Musky

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
Well, I was going to try this tomorrow Norma, but when I made some dough it came out too dry.  I included 30% semolina as an "other" ingredient, but then it only calculated the hydration level based on 70% of the flour.  I never noticed this before, but may have done the calculations by hand.

Anyway, I have three dough balls that I wanted to have 80% hydration, that actually have about 60%.  That's going to change my plans a bit.  lol.

Kevin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 06:45:14 AM »
Well, I was going to try this tomorrow Norma, but when I made some dough it came out too dry.  I included 30% semolina as an "other" ingredient, but then it only calculated the hydration level based on 70% of the flour.  I never noticed this before, but may have done the calculations by hand.

Anyway, I have three dough balls that I wanted to have 80% hydration, that actually have about 60%.  That's going to change my plans a bit.  lol.

Kevin

Sorry your dough turned out drier than you wanted.  Semolina when added with another flour usually does need a higher hydration because it absorbs more water.  It also might help to use a soaker. 

Maybe you really don't have to change your plans if you don't want to.  I made a Greek style pizza in my Blackstone oven unit using the formulation set forth by Peter at Reply 242 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176  You can see that is a low hydration dough.  The photos of the Greek style pizza I made with that formulation are at Reply 352 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg293539.html#msg293539 and the next few replies.  I think you will be able to see that the Greek style pizza turned out about the same as the pizzas I made on this thread, except the Greek style pizza wasn't as moist in the crumb, or as crisp on the bottom crust.  The rim edges did caramelize.  I have made many Greek style pizzas and so has my friend Steve (Ev).  They kind of remind me of what I did on this thread.  The Greek style pizzas are very tasty in my opinion.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:47:16 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
I was thinking about trying one, or two dough balls out in the cutter pan in the BS oven today, but since it was so cold outside and both dough balls looked okay, I decided to only try one dough ball out today in my home oven. 

I have always wanted to offer a breakfast pizza at market but never did.  I was trying to figure out decent toppings for a breakfast pizza.  This white pizza had a fried egg along with the other ingredients on the photos.  The cheese was mild white cheddar with Romano cheese sprinkled on after the bake. In my opinion the ingredients went well on this pizza.  I ended up eating four slices and might eat more.

My oven was turned up a little this time and the pizza in the cutter pan was baked at about 500 degrees F for 10 minutes.

I will use the other dough ball tomorrow either in the BS or my home oven.

This is how I had to dress up this morning to shovel snow.  It is darn cold outside.   :-D  Only the eyes were showing.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 04:34:19 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
Norma

Offline Musky

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
Those look so good. 

Be careful outside.  This cold is getting serious.  Here in Cheeseland it's going to -50* wind chill on Monday and Tuesday.  -25* wind chill for the Packers and 49ers in Green Bay Sunday.

Kevin

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »
You sure pulled that off....looks like it would be a great breakfast pizza for Market.
You've got this new cutter pan style nailed Norma and it looks like you're having a lot of fun with it....have you thought of a name for the style?  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
Those look so good. 

Be careful outside.  This cold is getting serious.  Here in Cheeseland it's going to -50* wind chill on Monday and Tuesday.  -25* wind chill for the Packers and 49ers in Green Bay Sunday.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks!  Wow, I thought it was cold in our area, but your area sure is colder than my area.  :o How do you handle those minus 0 degree temperatures?  It is 14 degrees F right now and is supposed to go to around 4 degrees F until morning.  The wind stopped now but sure was drifting the snow today.  All the side roads were bad.  I usually go to market on a Friday to clean and stock stuff and usually pick up supplies then too, but am glad I did that yesterday so I did not have to drive on those side roads today.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:59 PM »
You sure pulled that off....looks like it would be a great breakfast pizza for Market.
You've got this new cutter pan style nailed Norma and it looks like you're having a lot of fun with it....have you thought of a name for the style?  :chef:

Bob

Thanks Bob!  I am not sure if I have the cutter pan style pizza nailed for market but I am having fun with it.  I have not thought of a name for this style of pizza if it works out for market.  I am wondering if it will work out as well in a bigger cutter pan.  I am already making the same dough so that part is okay, but I also wonder if I will have enough space in the heating cabinet to temper doughs in cutter pans in addition to warming up some of my boardwalk style dough balls and tempering Detroit style doughs in the steel pans.  Any ideas for a name for the cutter style if it works out okay?  :-\  I think I will only order a few bigger cutter pans until I find out what happens with bigger cutter pans.

I really do like the idea of the cutter pans can be washed easily.  The steel pans for the Detroit style pizzas are a pain in seasoning them all the time and having to wipe the oil out of them out after each pizza.  I also have some flaking problems with the steel pans.  It then takes time to season them again.

Norma

Offline Musky

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:22 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks!  Wow, I thought it was cold in our area, but your area sure is colder than my area.  :o How do you handle those minus 0 degree temperatures?  It is 14 degrees F right now and is supposed to go to around 4 degrees F until morning.  The wind stopped now but sure was drifting the snow today.  All the side roads were bad.  I usually go to market on a Friday to clean and stock stuff and usually pick up supplies then too, but am glad I did that yesterday so I did not have to drive on those side roads today.

Norma

Well, tomorrow we have some burger fixings, then tomorrow night I'm going to make about 5 pounds of meatballs and a gallon of sauce, and then we might eat that for the next two days and never go outside for more than five minutes.  I have some other stuff laying around to get to Tuesday, though I do need to work a little.  Many layers to keep warm I guess.

My low hydration dough balls made pretty good thin American style pizzas, but pretty bad thin Sicilian style. lol The one I made in the cutter didn't spring much.  I rolled the other two out and cooked them on a stone. 

I'll have to give this a try again soon and pay closer attention to the print out from the dough calculator.

Kevin

pizzapan