Author Topic: Different pizza today from the same dough  (Read 3882 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Different pizza today from the same dough
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
Well, tomorrow we have some burger fixings, then tomorrow night I'm going to make about 5 pounds of meatballs and a gallon of sauce, and then we might eat that for the next two days and never go outside for more than five minutes.  I have some other stuff laying around to get to Tuesday, though I do need to work a little.  Many layers to keep warm I guess.

My low hydration dough balls made pretty good thin American style pizzas, but pretty bad thin Sicilian style. lol The one I made in the cutter didn't spring much.  I rolled the other two out and cooked them on a stone. 

I'll have to give this a try again soon and pay closer attention to the print out from the dough calculator.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for telling me what you do when it is so cold in your area.

Thanks for also telling me about your lower hydration dough balls and what you did with them.  Did you let your lower hydration dough in the cutter pan temper until it looked like it rose as much as it could?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Musky

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
I did leave it in the pan for about an hour.  By the time I baked it it just looked thirsty.  And sad.  Definitely sad.

Kevin

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »
I did leave it in the pan for about an hour.  By the time I baked it it just looked thirsty.  And sad.  Definitely sad.

Kevin

Kevin,

Sorry to be asking another question, but did you cover your pan while it was tempering?  I have seen Greek style doughs that were lower in hydration rise very well when covered.  They were tempered in different kind of pan other than a cutter pan.

Norma

Offline Musky

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »
I did, Norma, but to be honest, I think that dough was running out of gas by the time I baked it.  When I realized I had screwed up the hydration I sort of lost interest.  It made decent pizzas, and filled the bellies of my daughter and her two friends.  I'll get back to this soon and do it right.

Right now I have a 95% hydration Ciabatta dough rising up like a Phoenix out of Arizona.  I'm going to bake that in a few hours.  First try at that.

Kevin

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
I had planned to bake the last dough ball in the Blackstone oven this afternoon but my plans changed.  I went away and then out to dinner. 

This is how the dough ball looked a little while ago.  If the dough ball is okay until tomorrow I will use it then.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »
I had planned to baked the dough in the cutter pan today in the BS, but since there is a winter weather advisory for freezing rain (since it is still cold in our area) I decided to bake in my home oven at about 500 degrees F.  I moved the pizza stone down a rack to see what would happen.

The dough ball looked highly fermented, but this is one style of pizza that it does not hurt too much if the dough is a little overfermented, since it would be baked in the cutter pan.  I did not pinch shut the bubbles that formed yesterday on the top of the dough ball.  They just fell by themselves until today.

I wanted to try another dressing pizza.  This one was a Chicken Fajita Pizza.  Well, slap a sombrero on me and call me señorita!  I used my regular cheese with a blend of a supermarket mozzarella this time, and used different Chicken Fajita toppings.  The refried beans even went well instead of meat in my opinion.  The supermarket mozzarella along with the mild white cheddar was also good.

There was a good caramelized rim crust.

I think this dough was good to use from almost an emergency dough until a couple of days later with the 0.80% of IDY added.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »
Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
Señorita!,
You make a most beautiful pizza pie....I think maybe I am in Love!  :-[
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Señorita!,
You make a most beautiful pizza pie....I think maybe I am in Love!  :-[

Lol Bob!  Thanks

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
Norma,

I LOVE the look of that pie! Maybe I missed it but what kind of pan are you cooking that on? It looks like its cast iron, with rounded edges curving upwards?

Anyway, GREAT looking pie, esp the cheese to the edge!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
Norma,

I LOVE the look of that pie! Maybe I missed it but what kind of pan are you cooking that on? It looks like its cast iron, with rounded edges curving upwards?

Anyway, GREAT looking pie, esp the cheese to the edge!

John K

John,

I am glad you love the look of that pie!  That is my regular Detroit style dough and using a lower TF.  The edges do get caramelized if enough cheese is spread to the edges.

The pan I used was a 10” Anodized PSTK cutter pan that I purchased from PizzaTools http://www.pizzatools.com/Cutter_Pans/30870/subgrouping.htm  I purchased 3 more 16” Anodized PSTK cutter pans from PizzaTools and they are supposed to arrive tommorrow, but not in time for me to try them.  I usually used the 10” cutter pan for Chicago thin crust pizzas.  I am also going to try my other pan tomorrow that is pictured below in the third photo to see how that compares to the Anodized PSTK cutter pan.  I did not think about trying that other pan until I was at market today so I just guessed on the weight of a dough ball to use. 

In Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29378.msg294856.html#msg294856 is where I posted the link to when I purchased the cutter pan. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Photos of the first pizza made today in the 10” cutter pan.  The first photo is after the dough was tempered.  The first pizza turned out light and airy. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »
Second pizza made with the same dough in the same size cutter pan.  This dough was also tempered about the same amount of time, but one different dressing was used.  The different dressing was Brad's Raw Leafy Kale.  The flavor was “Vampire Killer” garlic and vegan cheese.  The Raw Leafy Kale was on sale at one fruit vendors stand today for 1.00 a package.  Another standholder gave Steve and me a taste of the Raw Leafy Kale and it was very crunchy and good tasting eaten plain.  I then decided to purchase some packages of that product to take home and also try some on the second pizza.  The Raw Leafy Kale was crumbled under the cheese.

I sure don't know why but the second pizza did not rise the same in the oven, but was still good tasting.  The only difference I can think of is that a different top was put on the cutter pan to temper the dough.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:49:06 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
The pizza made in the Blackbuster steel pan had problems with the cold dough ball wanting to spread using the same oil when using fingers to try and spread the dough.  I don't know if that was from the surface of the steel pan or if I did not use enough dough.  I did not take photos of that process but even after the cold dough rested and tempered for a little it did not want to spread the whole way to the edges of the Blackbuster steel pan.  The dough was then very sticky when it became warmer.  Steve suggested to me to wet my fingers and try to spread the dough.  That worked but was a process and I tried to dimple the dough.  The dough did finally rise evenly in the Blackbuster steel pan.  This dough tempered a lot longer than the other two doughs and was the end pizza made at the end of the day.  The Blackbuster steel pan was 12". 

The baked pizza was tasty and there was a nice crumb, but that also was a gum line right under the cheese as can be seen in the photo before the cutter pans.

I received the three 16” cutter pans yesterday when I returned home from market.  Now to see if they can bake about the same pizza.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:18:56 AM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Lookin great Norma!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
Lookin great Norma!

John K

Thanks John!

Norma