Author Topic: Different pizza today from the same dough  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Different pizza today from the same dough
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »
Norma,

I enjoy looking at your pizzas!  :drool:   I lived in Lititz (2005 to 20090) prior to Minnesota as an active duty Air Force recruiter.  I Although I did not get to Root's, my wife did a few times.  Sure wish I could have eaten as few pieces of your pizza.  I would have enjoyed talking with you, haven't found anyone here willing to get together and share pizza ideas. 

The next time I'm in Lancaster county...I'm coming over!

Tom

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
Norma,

I enjoy looking at your pizzas!  :drool:   I lived in Lititz (2005 to 20090) prior to Minnesota as an active duty Air Force recruiter.  I Although I did not get to Root's, my wife did a few times.  Sure wish I could have eaten as few pieces of your pizza.  I would have enjoyed talking with you, haven't found anyone here willing to get together and share pizza ideas. 

The next time I'm in Lancaster county...I'm coming over!

Tom

Tom,

I am glad you enjoy looking at my pizzas! 

I started the pizza stand at Root's in April of 2009.  I would enjoy meeting you and sharing pizza ideas anytime you are in Lancaster county again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »

I started the pizza stand at Root's in April of 2009.

That is when I left Lancaster county for Minnesota!  I pulled out 3 April.  Funny!  I'll be in some time.

Tom 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
I made three extra Detroit style dough balls, along with my regular Detroit batch of dough, using the same TF as before.  I wanted to test how the 16” cutter pans would bake and if the dough would press out okay in a bigger cutter pan.

I don't think I liked the results of the dough in the cutter pans, especially on the third pizza.  Two of the dough balls were pressed out in the oiled 16” cutter pans.  It is fairly hard to press out that amount of dough in the cutter pans with some oil being on the cutter pans.  The doughs wanted to shrink back.  I did get them pressed out, but that would be too much work all the time when there are other things to do.  I left the two doughs temper on top of the oven with hats on.  They tempered okay, but were tempered a little too long.  The bottom crust did get a crispy after a short reheat.

The second pizza was baked too long, so there are no photos of that pizza.

Since I had problems with pressing out the dough, with the shrink back in the first two doughs I decided to flour the third dough ball and open it normally by stretching it like a NY style pizzas.  That worked well as long as the dough ball is cold.  The third dough was only tempered a little over an hour on top of the oven.  It did not rise, or at least did not appear to.  I don't know if that was from the shorter temper time, or if the way I opened the dough ball and the flour had something to do with the dough not rising in the cutter pan.  I can not put the 16” cutter pans in my heating cabinet that I normally use for the Detroit style doughs because the 16” cutter pans are too big.

I have to think about an alternate way to go about making this style of pizza if I want to make it available at market.  Right now I am not sure of what to do.  The first pizza was much more desirable in the bottom crust and the whole pizza.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
Two more tests were done with the Detroit style dough in the cutter pans.  For the first test the cutter pan was oiled with the regular oil I use.  For the second test the oil used was MFB shortening.  Both dough balls were opened cold with no warm up time.  Either the oil or the shortening worked okay in making the cutter pan pizzas. 

We thought these pizzas were good and so did the taste testers.  If I decide to offer the cutter pan pizzas at market I don't think I would temper the dough at all in the cutter pan because my results were not consistent when using the 16” cutter pans and tempering the doughs. 

I ran out of grated cheese yesterday and purchased a cheese grater at market because I left my box grater at home.  The thicker, shorter cheese pieces seemed to work well.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
I didn't have a lot of time to fool around with trying different ways to make pizzas out of the same dough today because I did not have Steve to help me today.  I did try a version of cheesesticks, but cut into a pizza slice shape with the garlic sauce I was working on before.  I did not know how much garlic sauce to apply to the 16” pizza made in the cutter pan.  I think I added too much garlic sauce, but my taste testers and a couple of customers did like the pizza cut slices of cheesesticks.  Now to figure out how much garlic sauce to add. 

Norma 

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Hi Norma,

What combination of cheeses are you using here (in post #65) aside from low moisture mozzarella?  The coloration and melt look like something I should strive for.

Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
Hi Norma,

What combination of cheeses are you using here (in post #65) aside from low moisture mozzarella?  The coloration and melt look like something I should strive for.

Thanks!

Pete,

The only cheese I used for the pizza at Reply 65 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29378.msg301393#msg301393 was the same mild white cheddar I use for my Detroit style pizzas and my boardwalk style pizzas.

Norma

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »
Oops, completely missed the boat. Cheddar won't be missed next time. Thanks.... again!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
Oops, completely missed the boat. Cheddar won't be missed next time. Thanks.... again!

Peter,

Thanks okay because I did not post what kind of cheese I used.  The mild white cheddar I use does melt, look like and string like mozzarella.  I purchase that mild white cheddar in over 40 lb. blocks.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
I had one dough ball left over from last week that was frozen.  I tried it yesterday after it defrosted to see what would happen.  I placed the frozen dough ball in the deli case on Monday to defrost it.  As can been seen the pizza in the cutter pan did not turn out well.  It was okay in flavor but nothing special.  I guess that is no way I am going to be able to use the Detroit style dough in the larger cutter pans to make a decent pizza.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
This Detroit style dough ball must have fallen to the bottom of the deli case.  I found it there yesteday when I was cleaning the bottom shelf.  The dough ball was made the Monday before yesterday.  The dough ball looked like a mess and was hardly fermenting any more.  It was almost lifeless and made a lot of water in the plastic bag.  I decided to try and see if I could save this Detroit style dough ball for another pizza.  I just balled it on a little flour and put it into a plastic bag until today.  Steve pressed the cold dough ball into a cutter pan.  He then put it into the heating cabinet to proof.  The dough did rise during tempering, which surpised me because it originally had .70% IDY in the formulation.  I will call this pizza “the peace pizza”, because you never really know when a dough ball might be useable, even after looking almost dead. 

The “peace pizza” was dressed with the regular cheese I use, the regular sauce I use which was applied in a spiral pattern, and then some Greek oregano was sprinkled on the pizza.  After the bake the “peace pizza” had basil leaves applied and some romano cheese. 

This piece of “peace pizza” was very good.  It had a complex flavor in the crust and the whole pizza was delicious.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
Yum yum...man that looks tasty Norma. Nice work.   8)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
Yum yum...man that looks tasty Norma. Nice work.   8)

CB

Thanks Bob!

I think I was lucky on this experiment.   The reball probably helped.  I would have thought the enzymes and acid created during the long fermentation (coupled with the high amount of IDY) would have attacked the gluten structure too much.  The dough ball from the looks of it had the water bonds broken because it was so wet and watery.  Probably baking in a pan helped too.

I guess it is a slippery slope in making an old dough ball work when trying to make a decent pizza from it. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
Yep....you know the old saying Norma, "A long lost dough ball can be your new best friend".   ;D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
Yep....you know the old saying Norma, "A long lost dough ball can be your new best friend".   ;D

CB

Lol, I never heard that old saying Bob, but that might be true.  I had one dough ball yesterday that ripped in the skin (several places) for no reason when opening it.  I quickly reballed it and left it sit out for about 7 hrs.  That turned into a gigantic dough ball (from fermenting so long at the ambient temperature it was at market), but that one was so hard to open that it never made it to being a pizza.  I took photos of that one, but deleted them.  I knew that would have put me on the “thread of shame” too many times.  :-D

Norma