Author Topic: New Pizza Dreams from Adam Kuban  (Read 1514 times)

Offline scott123

New Pizza Dreams from Adam Kuban
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
For anyone who's been following Adam's incredibly read-worthy yearly 'Pizzas That Haunt My Dreams' lists on Slice:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/adam-kubans-8-best-pizzas-of-2012.html?ref=search

the newest list is now on his blog, Famous Original A's:

http://www.famousoriginala.com/8-pizzas-that-haunt-my-dreams-adam-kubans-best-pizzas-of-2013/

Williamsburg, FTW!!!!  :-D

Seriously, though, regarding Adam's plans on opening a Paulie Gee's in Portland, as I mentioned on Slice, I'm incredibly happy for both Adam and Paulie, but I am a little sad to see Adam leave NY.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: New Pizza Dreams from Adam Kuban
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:27:56 AM »
Thx for posting Scott.  I really like the mix of pies, even more on the second link.  At this point, I've eaten a lot of char points so "pockmarked cheese", Detroit, and whatever that thing was that ChicagoBob made, look good.
Dave

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
Thanks for posting, Scott, and for the kind words—here and about the PG venture in general. I was quite nervous for the news to come out. I know it probably seems crazy to jump into something like this without a ton of experience. (I've got a while before we open/relocate, and plenty of shifts at PG's to train/learn the rest of the ropes. Hopefully that will do the trick.)

The 8 Pizzas That Haunt My Dreams posts are always more sentimental/reminiscences than they are "THE 8 BEST PIZZAS, PERIOD." Sometimes it lines up that way and they are 8 outstanding pizzas, but more often personal considerations and the experience influence the list. This year's was more sentimental than most, and I felt a little melancholy compiling it. As much as I love Portland and look forward to moving there, I'm starting to preemptively miss NYC.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Good tidings of pizzas to all!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:50:02 AM by akuban »
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »
Congragulations Adam!  It is wonderful you are following your dreams.   It inspires me to keep following mine.  Portland might grow on you.  It is a great city and as long as you are doing what is in your heart it will be the best place on earth.  Happy new year!  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
Congrats and good luck with your adventure to Portland Adam! I have to agree with Walter in following your dreams. That's awesome.
Chaz

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
Thanks for posting, Scott, and for the kind words—here and about the PG venture in general. I was quite nervous for the news to come out. I know it probably seems crazy to jump into something like this without a ton of experience. (I've got a while before we open/relocate, and plenty of shifts at PG's to train/learn the rest of the ropes. Hopefully that will do the trick.)

The 8 Pizzas That Haunt My Dreams posts are always more sentimental/reminiscences than they are "THE 8 BEST PIZZAS, PERIOD." Sometimes it lines up that way and they are 8 outstanding pizzas, but more often personal considerations and the experience influence the list. This year's was more sentimental than most, and I felt a little melancholy compiling it. As much as I love Portland and look forward to moving there, I'm starting to preemptively miss NYC.

Adam,
Good luck with the move and new venture In PDX.  I think you will like the people - genuinely warm and welcoming.  I spent a lot of years in the NW and still visit often.  Be sure to keep us updated when the business opens so we can drop in and keep you evergreen.
Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
Adam, there's no doubt about it, no matter where you go, when you leave NY, it's going to involve some melancholy.  It'll be a process.  Your heart will ache a bit for a while, but, somewhere down the line, you'll breath in a breath of fresh Portland air while watching your daughter play in an actual yard, and the sense of loss will have become a distant memory.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:00:10 PM by scott123 »

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »

Adam, don't sell yourself short.  With these things, its like jumping into the cold water.  There are thousands of pizzerias over the country that survive that don't put in half the thought that you have into what you are trying to do.  You've got an upper hand as well.  You've got the best mentor possible who has already developed a formula for success.  In just looking at your bar pie, I'm pretty sure you could open up a place and kill it on that alone.

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Ben: Thanks for those thoughts. I'm a natural worrier. I like to prepare for the worst so I'm not let down if things go bad. I do realize I have a great mentor and a proven playbook. Just don't want to let myself get too cocksure about anything. Counting chickens before they hatch, etc.

Bar pie: I would LOVE to try to crush it with the bar pie. I'm still fiddling with the crust. Just taking a break from that now and checking PM.

Sorry for the late reply here. For some reason I'm not getting email notifications about new comments in this thread, and sometimes I go a week or more without signing on here. Will have to re-check that box below. Chars!
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
Walter: Thanks for the well-wishes. I have no doubt Portland would grow on me. I actually already love it there—I lived there for three years after college and fell in love with it. The climate, geography, and people are fantastic. And it's not like anyone is MAKING me move there and I'm reluctant, it's just that there will be things I miss about NYC/Queens that only really hit me when the news came out and things seemed to seem more real.

Chaze: Thanks! It is at once thrilling and scary to follow dreams. I have never really done that in my life. I've pretty much just muddled through without a plan and have been relatively lucky/right place, right time. This is all new to me.

Tampa: Definitely. The people out there are great. I made some good friends out there and can't wait to see them again. Will keep you updated here — within reason. I don't want to do too much self-serving blabbage.

Scott: Oh, yeah. A yard and the landscape/outdoor activities for the kid is one of the things I'm really looking forward to. And she can get a dog, too. (She's nuts about dogs.)

ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
Ben: Thanks for those thoughts. I'm a natural worrier. I like to prepare for the worst so I'm not let down if things go bad. I do realize I have a great mentor and a proven playbook. Just don't want to let myself get too cocksure about anything. Counting chickens before they hatch, etc.

Bar pie: I would LOVE to try to crush it with the bar pie. I'm still fiddling with the crust. Just taking a break from that now and checking PM.

Sorry for the late reply here. For some reason I'm not getting email notifications about new comments in this thread, and sometimes I go a week or more without signing on here. Will have to re-check that box below. Chars!
Adam, you should have done a "Best Of" or  "Review of Top 10 Pizzas on PM.com" type of thing.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »
Oh, man, Chicago Bob, that would be tough. I'm not as familiar with the boards here as the rest of you. I am mostly on "News" and "Chit Chat" boards or in really old threads pertaining to the various pizza-style recipes. (Lately I've been perusing the DKM Thin Crust thread(s) for inspiration on my bar pie crust. ... And I have to say that the pursuit of the bar pie this past year has sort of been my turning point in understanding the nature of the folks who frequent Pizzamaking. Until my bar pie quest, I had been sort of a pizza-making dilettante, dabbling in one style or another, getting it just good enough. Now, I am pursuing all aspects of the bar-pie cooking -- pans, baking surface, variants in crust ingredients/techniques, cheese blends, sauces, etc. etc., in a much more rigorous way, with notes, careful observation, trial and error. It's been a fun, frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding experience. And the observation and intel here has been invaluable in helping.)
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »
Oh, man, Chicago Bob, that would be tough. I'm not as familiar with the boards here as the rest of you. I am mostly on "News" and "Chit Chat" boards or in really old threads pertaining to the various pizza-style recipes. (Lately I've been perusing the DKM Thin Crust thread(s) for inspiration on my bar pie crust. ... And I have to say that the pursuit of the bar pie this past year has sort of been my turning point in understanding the nature of the folks who frequent Pizzamaking. Until my bar pie quest, I had been sort of a pizza-making dilettante, dabbling in one style or another, getting it just good enough. Now, I am pursuing all aspects of the bar-pie cooking -- pans, baking surface, variants in crust ingredients/techniques, cheese blends, sauces, etc. etc., in a much more rigorous way, with notes, careful observation, trial and error. It's been a fun, frustrating at times, but ultimately rewarding experience. And the observation and intel here has been invaluable in helping.)
Yeah, I guess you were pretty busy and shaking out a "Best Of" would have prolly created a riot.

Glad to hear about your pursuit of the bar-pie...guess maybe you have missed mine. I worked pizzeria stuff back in the early 70's in the Chicago 'burbs.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22946.0.html

Bob

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »
Yeah, I guess you were pretty busy and shaking out a "Best Of" would have prolly created a riot.

Glad to hear about your pursuit of the bar-pie...guess maybe you have missed mine. I worked pizzeria stuff back in the early 70's in the Chicago 'burbs.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22946.0.html

Yeah, I didn't even think of how it would create a riot, but you're right. I'm still pretty much an outsider of sorts at PM, so I woudln't even pretend to know enough of what goes on here to make a Top Ten list. Especially since I have missed so much on here -- like your thin-crust pics. HOLY MOLY. That pizza looks legit, which makes sense, given your background. A whole new corner to explore. THANK YOU.

EDIT: I read your description of what the ideal Chicago thin-crust should be. It has me drooling. I think I'm more of a cracker-crust fan myself, but I'm bookmarking the Loowaters recipe you reference and am going to try that. I love that you call the browned bits of cheese "crispies." That's EXACTLY what I want to see on my pizza. I have to say that I do love a good New York-style pie, but the pizzamakers here in the Big Apple view the "crispies" as a defect, when in fact It's a FEATURE, not a BUG!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:04:46 AM by akuban »
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
Yeah, I didn't even think of how it would create a riot, but you're right. I'm still pretty much an outsider of sorts at PM, so I woudln't even pretend to know enough of what goes on here to make a Top Ten list. Especially since I have missed so much on here -- like your thin-crust pics. HOLY MOLY. That pizza looks legit, which makes sense, given your background. A whole new corner to explore. THANK YOU.
Well thank you Adam....you seem pretty cool for a big shot.  :o
Hahaa, just kidding man and although you may not have posted all that much you are far from being an "Outsider"...lots of folks around here like you and mention you often.
Good luck with your upcoming adventure.  :chef:

Bob

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
Hah. Thanks. I guess "outsider" wasn't exactly the right word. My relationship with PM is not as deep as many of the people here who you see all over the threads. My M.O. is that I get a bug for making a particular style or have a specific question, and then I search the forums and read the material and try to sort through it and see if the techniques help. I'm often reluctant to post because I don't want to bump old threads, but I probably should anyway just to say thanks to the people who have helped steer me one way or another.
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
Hey Adam, if you need a place to stay in Columbus during your move to Portland (assuming you haven't already moved), I have an extra bedroom for you to stay in. (Now that I've had a minute to think about it, I assume you'll probably go through northern Ohio.)

This offer applies to anyone else on the boards who may ever need a place to stay in Columbus.

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
Thanks so much, Ryan. That's really generous of you. We haven't moved yet. It's still a looong time coming—the move, the pizzeria, etc. My wife and I still need to sit down and figure out finances, funding, etc. And I've told myself I want to do a bar-pie pop-up in NYC before I leave. I made that a goal a couple months before I started talking to Paulie about Portland, and I want to follow through on it. The move is likely to happen closer to the end of the year.

Yes, I think we'll go through Ohio -- I want to try Rubino's and the Tommi's thin-crust pies you talk about in one of your recent threads here. We're looking forward to doing that drive. My wife and I have always wanted to do a cross-country road trip. I just don't think we ever imagined doing it with what will be by then a 2.5-year old. Oy.
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
Best of luck Adam
Bert,

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
Adam,

Best of luck to you and your family on your new adventure!  I know how passionate you are about pizzas. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan