Author Topic: Hand kneading times  (Read 837 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Hand kneading times
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
I've been mixing to a shaggy ball then resting for 15 minutes. I can guess there is a point where not enough or too much will adversely affect the dough optimum texture. Is there a base recommendation to work from in time or amount to handle the dough? Thanks.

Offline pdog

Re: Hand kneading times
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
the knead time will vary depending on how you allow the dough to ferment. 

Could you explain how much yeast you use?  Also, the time you let rise and at what temperature?  What flour are you using?

In short though I believe over kneading is very tough to do when you are completing the process totally by hand.  If you are not using a mixer I would say that you do not need to worry much about over kneading. 

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »
It all depends on how much gluten you want to develop.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »
I've been mixing to a shaggy ball then resting for 15 minutes. I can guess there is a point where not enough or too much will adversely affect the dough optimum texture. Is there a base recommendation to work from in time or amount to handle the dough? Thanks.

I have a very scientific way of determining how long to hand mix dough.... until I don't feel like doing it anymore  ;D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
I don't own a mixer, so everything is by hand for me. I mix like you do for the shaggy ball stage; then just enough, after the rest, to make the dough smooth. I then use a few stretch & folds- maybe 3 at most. My hand kneading is 2 minutes at most.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:02:01 AM »
Kneading is the first point in the process that is the "art" of making pizza. To this point, calculations in ingredient volumes and good record keeping will bring you to a base level that all making pizzas can have in common. It is at this point that good judgement and feel for the ingredients can determine outcome. I've lately been of the mindset that "less handling" is better. Yet on occasions I read that a 5 minute, hook and dough mixing is where some take it past the initial rest. Not sure that I'll ever need to do the volume to use mixers, want to add additional cleanup, or lose the hand making element to a true artisan pie. I appreciate the input as many here are familiar with this as I can only guess at.

Offline pdog

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Duration of fermentation is a key as well. 

For example if you are doing a 5 day cold ferment you can bring the ingredients together, ball and place in the fridge.  Almost no kneading required.

If you plan to use in 18 hours you only need to develop enough gluten to hold CO2 as the dough rises.  Gluten will naturally develop over time so the longer the ferment the less time needed to knead. 

Gluten is strength so if you see your dough running all over the place and not holding a shape ( not for the hole fermentation, but for the first 10 minutes or so) then more kneading may be needed. 

How high of a hydration are you using, and what protein % is the flour?

pizzapan