Author Topic: My First Peel  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
My First Peel
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
I posted in another thread that I had problems launching my first pizza from my cutting board so I figured a peel was in order. So today I made one out of birch and here are couple of pics. The pad size is 16" x 16" and the handle is 14" long. I also tapered one side to a sharp point which you might be able to see in the second pic. Hopefully this will reduce my launch problems in the future.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My First Peel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Very nice woodworking skills there, Hillbilly.  What is that kitchen appliance to the right of the peel in the second picture?
Mary Ann

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
Thanks Mary Ann. That's a vacuum chamber sealer. After going through a few of the Foodsaver vac sealers I decided to try a chamber style sealer and got this one just before Christmas. So far I am very pleased with it. The great thing is that I can vac seal liquids with it. Like leftover sauce. I also put my opened spice bags in a zip lock bag and vac seal the zip lock with the spice bag in it. Keeps the spices a lot longer and I can simply open the zip lock when I need some of the spice, then vac again and reseal.

I made the table everything is sitting on and call it my mobile meat station. It's on locking wheels and I can roll it over to the kitchen island so I have a bigger work surface when making and stuffing sausages. It is the same height as the island, which helps.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »
How much height do the wheels add? My guess is about 2 inches. Also, is it pretty easy to add wheels to tables like this? I ask because I'm about to move and I've been planning to get an island from IKEA for my kitchen, which I'd probably like to be able to transport easily around the kitchen on a regular basis (because I plan to host pizzamaking classes, and moving it from its normal position could make for a better "theater" setup).

Offline mp233069

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
That's a nice looking peel. You should make more and sell them.
Mario

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
Very nice peel. There are a few other wood working craftsman that post here. Your contributions are very welcomed.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
Ryan,

They are 3" wheels and add 4" to the height but you can get smaller wheels that are not as tall. I got these wheels because they are rated for 180 lbs each and the table weighs quite a bit plus the things on it are heavy. The grinder, slicer and vac sealer each weigh between 50 and 70 lbs. 

Mario,

Thanks for the compliments but making them to sell wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm not very fast and I've got too many other things to keep me busy. Apparently retirement doesn't mean that I get to sit around and twiddle my thumbs, which is just the way I like it. ;D

Mark,

Thanks. I can't offer any pizza advise but I'm glad to offer something to the forum. I belong to several forums and I always enjoy looking at others pics.

Offline acresaway

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
Your peel looks good!  I make these too.  They are a ton of work to make one or two alone.

Cheers,

Neil