Author Topic: sourdough issues  (Read 484 times)

Offline Oberon

sourdough issues
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
I've been working on using Tartine Basic Country bread dough for pizza, and have ended up with dough that is very very slack and not elastic.  When baked, it takes a long time and never seems to brown well...crumb is greyish, dry, and tough.  Crust is also really dull, a bit thick, tough but not crisp.

I'm thinking that it either had too much or too mature starter added, and/or fermented to long/too high of a temp.

Thanks for any help you can give...

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: sourdough issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
From my limited experience in sourdough starters (mostly use mine for pancakes) your local strain of yeast may or may not give you the desired performance. That is why San Francisco is known for their bread, they have a great local yeast strain perfect for breads. Other places have yeasts better for brewing fermented beverages.
Sausage making is the same way (dry-aged, cured uncooked products) certain countries have a product which cannot be reproduced any other place in the world due to their unique local yeast & mold strains.
You may be able to get a specific bacterial strain to inoculate your sponge with, but it will not stay dominant for long until local strains take over.

Different wild yeast strains have different qualities to them, Some rise great, some brown great, while others do not do either and just smell good.
 I believe it has to do with your geographic location and what strain of wild yeast has taken hold in your culture.
Even if you took a strain of wild yeast from one section of the world that performed perfectly, a short month or two after relocating it, your local yeast strain will win out and you will lose the qualities that you desired.

Can someone please confirm my statement?
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

pizzapan