Author Topic: Alfredo sauce seprates while cooking on pizza  (Read 488 times)

Offline biren

• I Love Pizza!
Alfredo sauce seprates while cooking on pizza
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
I had made alfredo sauce at home and making pizza with the sauce but after cooking pie my sauce seprates and tiny cuddled patches can be seen.
My recipe for alfredo sauce. Mix some flour in butter in a heavy bottom pan, add milk and stir, add cream and keep on stirring.  When thick add grated paremsan and stir until mix completly.
later spread the sauce on base and top it with mozarella cheese and cook my pan pizza in convection oven at temp of around 430f for around 15 minutes.
Can someone figure out what is going wrong here?

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Alfredo sauce seprates while cooking on pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
Biren, I use a white sauce frequently on my pies. Although I have never added cheese to the sauce, usually garlic or other herbs. If the added cheese is the culprit, I can not comment. My 1 st suspicion would be the way you are making white sauce. I am sure that you are an accomplished saucier, but if you would divulge your sauce ingredient amounts and temp of the liquid ingredients, that might be helpful. To eliminate the cheese portion of the sauce as the culprit I would leave it out and see what happens. I personally use a yellow cheese with a white sauce for better visual presentation, a matter of choice.  ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I have made various white sauce recipes, gathered from the internet. Never had any issues.

However, researching a little, this is what I found right off. Just a possibility, probably among many:

"Why does white sauce separate?
What causes a white sauce to separate? Is there a way to correct it?
Submitted by marymonis

A white sauce will separate if there is not enough added thickener (usually flour or cornstarch) or if it is not heated long enough for the flour to thicken the sauce (it should be cooked and stirred until bubbly, then 1 to 2 minutes more). If a white sauce is separated, try cooking it until bubbly. If it is still not a smooth, thickened sauce, stir together a little more flour or cornstarch with cold water, then add to sauce and cook and stir until bubbly. Continue the process until desired thickness. If you get lumps in a white sauce, remove immediately and whisk. If this does not help, strain out the lumps before serving."

http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/cooking-tips/white-sauce/

I advise trying other recipes if yours is not working, although many of the recipes are pretty similar. Follow the directions closely when first trying recipes. Try not to improvise right off, if possible.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:25:41 PM by dwighttsharpe »
Dwight

Offline biren

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »
Yeah, that can be one of the reason, as Irremember adding little flour to the final prep. I will again try the recipe in couple of days and let you all know. Appreciate the help.

Offline biren

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »
Yeah, that can be one of the reason, as Irremember adding little flour to the final prep. I will again try the recipe in couple of days and let you all know. Appreciate the help.

pizzapan