Author Topic: Little kamut pies  (Read 635 times)

Offline giulio.fabris

Little kamut pies
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
Hi all,

I wasn't really sure whether to post this under NY Style or here because it's a new recipe and it has some similarities with both styles.
Anyway, I went for Sicilian style, because I think this can be baked as usual in one piece in a rectangular pan, pizzarium style, with great result.
This time, however, I decided to make little round pies, which came out very well!

This is my adaptation of a recipe from Luca Montersino.

Ingredients for the dough (for 8 little pies)

250 g kamut flour
168 g buratto flour
12 g dried sourdough
4 g active dry yeast
10 g salt
30 g evo oil
315 g water

---

Mix the flour, yeast and 250 g of water. When the dough is smooth, add the remaining water. Complete the dough by adding oil and salt.
Let the dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, covering it with a cloth. At this point, create 8 balls from the dough and put them in the fridge for 24 hours in a closed container.

Remove the dough from the fridge and let it stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Roll out the balls on a well-floured surface, pressing with your fingers in the middle, leaving the border thick. Arrange the pies on baking sheets and season with tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano.

Let rise again for 20 minutes then bake at 250 C for 14 minutes. Remove from oven, add diced mozzarella on each small pie and bake again for 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:39:54 AM by giulio.fabris »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Little kamut pies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »
These look delicious Giulio. How does the kamut taste? I just received my copy of Chad Robertson's new Tartine book, which delves into ancient grains, and I am anxious to try some out in bread and pizza.

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
Thanks John.

Khorasan Kamut is a cereal with an intense and sweet flavour, that reminds me of hazelnut and butter.
Good luck with your experiments!  :)

These look delicious Giulio. How does the kamut taste? I just received my copy of Chad Robertson's new Tartine book, which delves into ancient grains, and I am anxious to try some out in bread and pizza.

John

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
I've used white Kamut flour for quite some time and everyone that has tasted it likes it.  http://www.montanaflour.com/100-organic-kamut-white-flour 

It has a very subtle buttery/nutty flavor to it.  There's a pizza place here in Los Angeles that uses it exclusively with terrific results for American-style pizzas, but they will not divulge their formulation.  The protein content is about 15%, but that does not mean that it's chewier than 14% pizza dough.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.