Author Topic: New Pizza Toys  (Read 2876 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
New Pizza Toys
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
I don't know about you, but I need to do a technology refresh every so often to improve my technique and/or to replace worn out gear.

Such is the case with the stuff delivered to my door today. First up is the pizza wheel. I have gone through three wheels in the past year or so all due to build quality issues. I decided to step up and buy the 14.6oz "Kitchen Aid Large Pizza Cutter." Made from 18/8 stainless steel, the build quality is the finest I have found and should overcome the problems I have encountered with other brands. Things such as the handle separating from the wheel should be a thing of the past. It also features a blade and finger guard which are handy upgrades for me. $15.00 at Amazon

Next up is a proper container for EVOO. I have tried to pour EVOO from numerous spout types and have had mixed results. I required an oil can which featured a very thin spout so that I could have increased control of the quantity of EVOO being splashed on top of my cherished home efforts. The model which hit the target for me was the "Polder Small Stainless Steel Oil Can." Priced at around $15.00 it was a good deal.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New Pizza Toys
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:08:55 PM »
pft,

I have the same KitchenAid pizza cutter. It was reviewed by Cook's Illustrated some time ago, and while they thought the cutter was very good, they eliminated it from competition because they deemed the tool to be too heavy. I personally think it is super.

As for the oil can, you may want to store it in a cool place, especially where you are in Florida. Otherwise, the oil can go rancid fairly quickly.

Peter

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:46:42 PM »
Pete-zza,
That's why I remain a healthy skeptic when it comes to reviews. The extra weight is perfect for me. The robust handle fits my hand like a glove. The extra heft will help to slice through our hard American crusts. My wife, on the other hand, picked it up and immediately said it was too heavy for her.

Thanks for the tip on the oil, it is much appreciated.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:06:05 PM »
Peter I agree with you about reviews.  Cook's Illustrated has an odd since of good both in hardware and taste.  The KA pizza cutter is on my list.

Good pictures PFT.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
http://www.frankieflood.com/objects.html

Some inspiring pizza cutters on this website.  These would make a great gift -- practical, functional and a work of art.  Probably priced out of my range.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Saturday Coffee, Thanks for the link, however to me they appear to be "concept" pieces, something a magazine like Craft Horizons would do a write up on. I enjoy the industrial machine aesthetics but they don't look very practical.
Don

http://www.frankieflood.com/objects.html

Some inspiring pizza cutters on this website.  These would make a great gift -- practical, functional and a work of art.  Probably priced out of my range.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Instead of a wheel cutter, I prefer a mezzaluna - but finding a good quality one with a decent blade is tough (at least here in NZ!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:42:05 PM by breadman_nz »