Author Topic: Olive oil, does it matter the brand? Whats your favorite?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
Olive oil, does it matter the brand? Whats your favorite?
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
Whats your favorite olive oil to use in dough?

Does it really change the flavor?

Also, I just saw this http://tinyurl.com/p7afhgq Les Moulins Mahjoub Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil  Has anyone tried it?

btw, I'm mainly a deep dish guy :)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: Olive oil, does it matter the brand? Whats your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

There are several similar threads already...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22511.0.html

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
One olive oil that I like, because of its freshness, is the California Olive Ranch Limited Reserve extra virgin olive oil. It is the first oil of harvest and is available for only a short time, from about November, when it is bottled, until they are sold out. I usually preorder in November when they offer discounts, either on large dollar purchases or on shipping. I buy enough bottles for my own use and a few for my daughter-in-law for Xmas (it is her favorite olive oil). Sometimes the oil is available into January.

According to California Olive Ranch, the Limited Reserve EVOO is "our finest first cold pressing from the first two weeks of harvest. Bottled intentionally with olive fruit suspended in oil for a 'burst' of olive fruitiness." I use the oil mainly at the table but I will often use it at the stove but only at the end of a cook. Otherwise, I use either rice bran oil or an inexpensive EVOO.

Peter

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
I'm mainly using it for my pizza dough and the california ranch one is pretty steeply priced for the amount I'll be using in my dough, if I was just dipping it I'm sure I'd go for it!

I just found a interview from CNN on this product. I really need to try it now. It was organic AND it wasn't an arm and a leg. It's hard to find anything organic that tastes great AND is a good price.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/02/04/tunisian.oil/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Good of you to say "on"..."in" dough is wasting money imo.
Il Grezzo is an awesome evoo at a very fair price... ;)
Whats your favorite olive oil to use in dough?

Does it really change the flavor?

Also, I just saw this http://tinyurl.com/p7afhgq Les Moulins Mahjoub Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil  Has anyone tried it?

btw, I'm mainly a deep dish guy :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
After reading about the foreign olive oil business and all the corruption and deception that has gone on for thousands of years, and discovering particular imported brands I have used (Star, Pompeian) were named in a UC study as having either no olive oil or largely blended with other vegetable oils, I have opted to go with only California EVOO.  One of the simple tests to see if your oil is potentially olive oil is to put it in the freezer. It should solidify if olive oil.  My imported Pompeian didn't even cloud up and thicken.  While that test isn't conclusive that the oil IS olive oil, it confirms it IS NOT olive oil if it doesn't solidify, according the article I read.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
Extra Virgin suicide-The Adulteration of Italian Olive Oil 

By:  Nicholas Blechman, NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/24/opinion/food-chains-extra-virgin-suicide.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
Flavor for price....i tend to go with what I think is the BEST tasting evoo...GOYA, believe it or not.......I like STRONG OLIVE TASTING olive oil...AND GOYA FITS THE BILL.

NOw, I've tasted really, really expensive EVOO and still don't get it.....olive oil, to me, has to taste  like.......OLIVES....and many expensive, well rated oils have literally NO taste of olives.....so take my rec with a grain of salt.  I like dark, olive tasting oil.......and FOR THE MONEY, its hard to beat goya.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
I read recently that Spain exports more EVOO than any other country. In fact, Italy can't supply enough olives for it's own expot and uses a LOT of Spanish EVOO and bottles it under the Italian label. Seems it is legal in Europe to do such things.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 02:43:53 AM »
My strategy with olive oils is to go for less well known producers in countries with a long tradition in making olive oil.  Lebanon for instance, produces some very fine olive oils for comparatively little money. Although Tunisia is known for lower grade olive oil, Trader Joe's found a Tunisian olive oil that is really great (if you like that strong, spicy, type of oil with a "catch' in the throat) that they're selling for $8 per liter. If you could find an olive oil of that quality from Italy it would sell for at least $25 or more per liter.  Spanish olive oils can be a very good value as well.  So you have to taste a few different oils and when you find a good one, lay in a good supply. 

pizzapan