Author Topic: Lou Malnati - Deluxe Pizza - How to  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Teddy Ballgame

Lou Malnati - Deluxe Pizza - How to
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »
Any suggestions on making a Malnati's clone with Pepperoni, onions, green peppers and mushrooms? I have had issues in the past where pie was swimming in water released.

Should I precook the veggies. What order should I put the ingredients, etc?

Thank you in advance!

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Lou Malnati - Deluxe Pizza - How to
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
I precook the veggies slightly, just to release the water, and then squeeze them with paper towels.  It's worked great for me.  Try to cook them just barely.

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
Garvey, I did cook the veggies in EVOO and they turned out great. I did keep the sausage raw and put the Margherita brand pepperoni on top to crisp:

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »
For 2 9" pies:
10oz. KAAP Flour
5.9oz water
2.75oz corn oil
.50 tsp of ADY

Dough: I added the oil to the flour first and then just incorporated everything slightly with no real kneading. It cold rose in my fridge for 20 hrs and then 5 hours on my counter. I baked them at 475 on a stone for 19 minutes. Next time I will use some salt and MAYBE a small amount of semolina, although it was flaky and light as it was.

Sauce: 6in1 ground with a pinch of Italian wild grown oregano (awesome stuff), 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of garlic powder. I let the tomatoes drain for 10 minutes and will reuse the water in my Bloody Mary mix.

Cheese: 5oz of sliced mozz and 3oz of sliced provo per pizza. I added freshly grated Parmegiano Reggiano after the bake while the pie was resting.

Cheese, raw italian sweet bulk sausage, precooked onions and peppers, sauce, hand-sliced Margherita pepperoni.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
For 2 9" pies:
10oz. KAAP Flour
5.9oz water
2.75oz corn oil
.50 tsp of ADY

Dough: I added the oil to the flour first and then just incorporated everything slightly with no real kneading. It cold rose in my fridge for 20 hrs and then 5 hours on my counter. I baked them at 475 on a stone for 19 minutes. Next time I will use some salt and MAYBE a small amount of semolina, although it was flaky and light as it was.

Sauce: 6in1 ground with a pinch of Italian wild grown oregano (awesome stuff), 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of garlic powder. I let the tomatoes drain for 10 minutes and will reuse the water in my Bloody Mary mix.

Cheese: 5oz of sliced mozz and 3oz of sliced provo per pizza. I added freshly grated Parmegiano Reggiano after the bake while the pie was resting.

Cheese, raw italian sweet bulk sausage, precooked onions and peppers, sauce, hand-sliced Margherita pepperoni.
You did a great job Teddy....your pizza looks top notch. Which dough recipe did you use?  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »
Yeah, that looks great!  Nothing to complain about there!

Just as a side note, I never precook veggies for thin crust.  Since my thin crust sauce is paste based, the paste can really take on a lot of moisture to help out, without any sogginess.  Also, the greater surface area of a thin crust (vs volume) helps as well.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »

It was pretty much the formulation Aimless Ryan used on his Blog: http://ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com/search/label/Best-yet%20deep%20dish

As with any recipe, I would only tweak a things or two (little sea salt in the dough, maybe 3-5%% semolina). I really think adding the oil to the flour first helps create the flaky biscuit-like crust a real Malanti's has (I do travel to Chicago regularly and have had both Lou's on State Street and Giordano's).

My next venture will be a NY Style on a 1/2" baking steel - picked up some Caputo 00 flour and am looking forward to it - will post pics.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:56:32 AM by Teddy Ballgame »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »
Cool. I thought that resembled my dough formula (and workflow) in a lot of ways. For example, mixing the oil with the flour, a light mix, using only corn oil, no semolina, etc. But there were enough differences to make me think maybe it was just coincidental. For example, your higher oil percentage, higher hydration, and use of KAAP instead of Pillsbury or Gold Medal AP.

Regardless, I thought your pizza looked great. (Better looking than mine.)

It looks like your formula is:

100% KAAP flour
59% Water
0.5% ADY
27.5% Corn oil

I'd expect such dough to be extremely soft. Like so soft that the edges of the dough fall (or droop) after you crimp them. But it doesn't look like you've had that problem. Is there any insight you can share about this?

I'm not sure if I ever updated my blog post to include the following information (or if anyone else around here has ever suggested doing this), but I've found that mixing deep dish dough in a KitchenAid with the flat beater does a great job of incorporating all the ingredients without causing much gluten development. First I use the flat beater to mix the oil into the flour thoroughly, then turn off the mixer. (I may have originally gotten the idea to mix flour and fat from Bob.) Then, when the yeast water is clearly ready (and the mixer is off), I pour the yeast water into the flour/oil mixture, along with some of the dough water. I turn on the mixer to speed 1 or 2, then slowly pour the rest of the water into the bowl as the flat beater continues on speed 1 or 2. By the time I've poured all the water, the dough is fully mixed. This takes probably no more than 30 seconds. (This may also work with the wire whip attachment. Also, I've found that mixing deep dish dough with the dough hook is far from ideal.)

I like that you're using 8 oz of cheese for 9". I think my blog post suggests 6+ oz for 9" deep dish pizzas, but I've since found that 8-9 oz is much better. Also, when I was still using 6 or 7 oz (in late 2012), I think Bob told me in an email that he uses about 9 oz of cheese for 9" deep dish pizzas. (Bob knows a lot more about pizza than he sometimes makes evident around here.)

I can't wait to see more of your work.

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
Ryan,

Since I just combined the ingredients and really did my best to now knead, the dough was really easy to work with in the pan. I had no issues with the crimping and did not oil the sides of the pan. As a matter of fact, the dough was oily enough to not need any additional oil/butter/shortening in the pan. I really think the flour and fat mix is crucial for making this type of pizza at home.

On a side note, where do you get good cheese here in Columbus?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
On the watery onions and peppers.  Try preparing them a bit early then sprinkle with salt.  Stir a few times.  Pulls a lot of water right out.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 08:28:41 PM »
Randy,

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your name to your post today. For a moment I thought that I was looking at one of your old posts. Good to see you back.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
Ryan,

On a side note, where do you get good cheese here in Columbus?

I didn't realize you were in Columbus, Teddy. Obviously my first thought was that you were maybe in Louisville. Are you on the north side?

GFS Marketplace sells 5 lb loaves of GFS mozzarella for usually about $2.50 a pound. Plus they'll slice it for you if you want, which is a huge bonus if you'll be using it for deep dish. When I buy cheese at GFS for deep dish, I ask them to slice it on setting #4, I believe. That's about 1/8". It's not even close to being the best cheese, but it's much better than what you can get at grocery stores, and it's also much cheaper.

Good cheese? Good question. If you want Grande, the only place I know of right now (where you can buy small quantities) is the cheese guy at the North Market (if he's still there). However, he's been known to leave his mozzarella at room temperature for extended periods, and that's not cool for cheese that will be shredded. Also, he only buys one loaf at a time, so he probably gets it from PennMac, which you can do yourself. Speaking of PennMac, you can go to PennMac in Pittsburgh and buy Grande by the loaf or bag. Or you can have them ship it, which I've heard makes it very expensive. (I've never been to PennMac, nor have I bought anything from them.)

And then there's always the possibility of splitting cases with someone like me (as well as possibly other Columbus locals). And this may become a viable option soon, as I intend to start hosting regular pizza gatherings/lessons soon (after I get some things taken care of in the home I just moved into), which means I will go through a lot of cheese, as long as I can get people to show up at the gatherings. A 30-pound case of 6 5-pound bags (shredded) is currently about $100 at GFS and RDP. A case of loaves is probably cheaper per pound, but cases of loaves are almost twice the size of cases of shredded.

Also, you may ask pizzerias to sell you a loaf or a bag or cheese. An RDP salesman once suggested I ask a pizzeria in Pickerington to sell me some Grande cheese (which he knew they used because he was their sales rep). He acted pretty sure that it wouldn't be a big deal for the pizzeria to do this. I never did it, though, because Pickerington is not exactly convenient for me. (This pizzeria has "NY" in its name.) Also, there is a member who runs a business (sorta) out of a classroom in a town near Columbus, who I think may be willing to sell you some Grande cheese for a good price. (I was vague about this because I don't want to speak for him, in case I'm wrong about what I just said.)

Maybe I'll invite you over to help me test out my "new" oven soon, and we can discuss some of this stuff.

Offline Musky

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
Randy,

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your name to your post today. For a moment I thought that I was looking at one of your old posts. Good to see you back.

Peter

I remember Randy from my first forays here back in 2007.  He was very helpful to me then.

Is Loowaters still around?  He helped me a lot, too.  As you did, Pete.

Kevin

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »
I remember Randy from my first forays here back in 2007.  He was very helpful to me then.

Is Loowaters still around?  He helped me a lot, too.  As you did, Pete.

Kevin
Kevin,

Randy was a great help to me also. It was his attempts at a Papa John's clone pizza that inspired me to try to come up with my own clone. That gave birth to the Papa John's clone thread that taught me a good part of what I know about reverse engineering and cloning pizzas.

loowaters is not currently active but he does check in on the forum quite frequently. That happens to a lot of our members. You think they are gone forever but they resurface from time to time. Pizza must be in their blood.

Peter

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
I didn't realize you were in Columbus, Teddy. Obviously my first thought was that you were maybe in Louisville. Are you on the north side?

GFS Marketplace sells 5 lb loaves of GFS mozzarella for usually about $2.50 a pound. Plus they'll slice it for you if you want, which is a huge bonus if you'll be using it for deep dish. When I buy cheese at GFS for deep dish, I ask them to slice it on setting #4, I believe. That's about 1/8". It's not even close to being the best cheese, but it's much better than what you can get at grocery stores, and it's also much cheaper.

Good cheese? Good question. If you want Grande, the only place I know of right now (where you can buy small quantities) is the cheese guy at the North Market (if he's still there). However, he's been known to leave his mozzarella at room temperature for extended periods, and that's not cool for cheese that will be shredded. Also, he only buys one loaf at a time, so he probably gets it from PennMac, which you can do yourself. Speaking of PennMac, you can go to PennMac in Pittsburgh and buy Grande by the loaf or bag. Or you can have them ship it, which I've heard makes it very expensive. (I've never been to PennMac, nor have I bought anything from them.)

And then there's always the possibility of splitting cases with someone like me (as well as possibly other Columbus locals). And this may become a viable option soon, as I intend to start hosting regular pizza gatherings/lessons soon (after I get some things taken care of in the home I just moved into), which means I will go through a lot of cheese, as long as I can get people to show up at the gatherings. A 30-pound case of 6 5-pound bags (shredded) is currently about $100 at GFS and RDP. A case of loaves is probably cheaper per pound, but cases of loaves are almost twice the size of cases of shredded.

Also, you may ask pizzerias to sell you a loaf or a bag or cheese. An RDP salesman once suggested I ask a pizzeria in Pickerington to sell me some Grande cheese (which he knew they used because he was their sales rep). He acted pretty sure that it wouldn't be a big deal for the pizzeria to do this. I never did it, though, because Pickerington is not exactly convenient for me. (This pizzeria has "NY" in its name.) Also, there is a member who runs a business (sorta) out of a classroom in a town near Columbus, who I think may be willing to sell you some Grande cheese for a good price. (I was vague about this because I don't want to speak for him, in case I'm wrong about what I just said.)

Maybe I'll invite you over to help me test out my "new" oven soon, and we can discuss some of this stuff.

I am going to head to Restaurant Depot and see what they have. I will PM you if I see anything interesting to see if you want to split something. I have a FoodSaver so I should be able to keep things pretty long.

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Going with this dough:

Flour (100%):  185g (185g KAAP, 5g Semolina)
Water (47%): 
ADY:  1/2 tsp
Kerrygold Buter (5%)
Corn Oil (20%)
Sugar (2%)
Salt:  1/2 tsp

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
Going with this dough:

Flour (100%):  185g (185g KAAP, 5g Semolina)
Water (47%): 
ADY:  1/2 tsp
Kerrygold Buter (5%)
Corn Oil (20%)
Sugar (2%)
Salt:  1/2 tsp

U gonna love it, post pics.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
I can't find the video where I saw this, (it was on one of the many pizza shows that aired on a food network/cooking channel "pizza week") but I could swear that Lou's (or was it Uno/Due?) puts the veggies on about halfway into the baking process.

It would make sense to me, as it really doesn't take very long to bake onions and peppers, maybe 15-20 minutes,
compared to 30-40 minutes for a deep dish pizza.

Until I can locate the video for verification,
please enjoy this video of some dudes trying to octo-copter-drone some Lou's across the room.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
I can't find the video where I saw this, (it was on one of the many pizza shows that aired on a food network/cooking channel "pizza week") but I could swear that Lou's (or was it Uno/Due?) puts the veggies on about halfway into the baking process.

It would make sense to me, as it really doesn't take very long to bake onions and peppers, maybe 15-20 minutes,
compared to 30-40 minutes for a deep dish pizza.

Until I can locate the video for verification,
please enjoy this video of some dudes trying to octo-copter-drone some Lou's across the room.

UNOs does it.  Remember the host of the tv show wanted to wear the guys jacket so he didn't get burnt?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »
UNOs does it.  Remember the host of the tv show wanted to wear the guys jacket so he didn't get burnt?

Nate
That's funny because I never thought about doing that but now looking back at pizza I've had at Uno's it makes perfect sense. Of course they put the wet toppings on further into the bake....I always liked how the green peppers and onions would still have a little crunch to them. Brilliant!  :chef:
I've always only done plain sausage or sausage an mushroom at home so next one is going to be a "special".  :)

Bob
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:53:45 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"