Author Topic: A couple bigguns  (Read 733 times)

Offline Seven

A couple bigguns
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
I recently picked up a 17" screen from RD and wanted to make a couple pies yesterday using 4 day old dough. Unfortunately, I accidentally bought a 19" screen! I couldn't figure out why they weren't fitting in the oven so I had to flip a rack upside down to eliminate the lip at the back. The screen was nearly touching the door but it ended up fitting just fine. I only had 8 ounces of WM mozz for each pizza so I needed to pull them out of the oven earlier than I wanted since the cheese was bubbling like crazy. The first is a pepperoni (Bridgford) with thinly sliced Saputo Mozzeria. The 2nd has ham under the cheese, which was pre-shredded Sorrento from RD...notice how the ham protected the cheese and prevented some browning. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Offline jkb

Re: A couple bigguns
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
I love big slices.  I have a 20" round stone.  I sometimes get a little carried away and stretch to 21" for a little overhang, but it stays intact.  I imagine your crust was a lot thinner than you planned for.  I goofed once and stretched a dough ball for an 18" 0.07 TF pie to 20".  Way too thin.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:41:36 PM by jkb »

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
I likely won't make 19 inchers often but it'll be great for parties. I have a lot of pre-portioned, 8-ounce bags of cheese in the freezer so I'll probably stick to my normal 16 inch pies at least until my cheese supply runs out. I guess I could use a pound of cheese on each pizza and see what happens :)

These were roughly 17.5 ounce dough balls, so much thinner than I was going for. You should have seen me trying to figure out why the skins were so thin! Once I got the tape measure I figured it out ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
I love big slices.  I have a 20" round stone.  I sometimes get a little carried away and stretch to 21" for a little overhang, but it stays intact.  I imagine your crust was a lot thinner than you planned for.  I goofed once and stretched a dough ball for an 18" 0.07 TF pie to 20".  Way too thin.
Have you ever made smaller, like 14in pies of this style......if so, do you think they taste differently than a biggun?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jkb

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
Have you ever made smaller, like 14in pies of this style......if so, do you think they taste differently than a biggun?

Yes, I have.  It's not the same.  I like the way big slices look and handle - they just feel right.  The best times of my formative years usually involved pizza and the slices of my youth were big.  A slice and a soda with friends in high school, square slices in college (ok, not a big NY round slice, but it was the way to go), wild weekends at the Jersey Shore eating giant slices from a 27" pie in my 20's, summer nights in Lake George, winter fun in Lake Placid, or a couple of slices for the walk home after hitting the bars in Saratoga. There's a lot more to enjoying food than taste.  Plus, you get a much higher ratio of greasy cheesy/saucy center to rim.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:53:24 AM by jkb »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
Yes, I have.  It's not the same.  I like the way big slices look and handle - they just feel right.  The best times of my formative years usually involved pizza and the slices of my youth were big.  A slice and a soda with friends in high school, square slices in college (ok, not a big NY round slice, but it was the way to go), wild weekends at the Jersey Shore eating giant slices from a 27" pie in my 20's, summer nights in Lake George, winter fun in Lake Placid, or a couple of slices for the walk home after hitting the bars in Saratoga. There's a lot more to enjoying food than taste.  Plus, you get a much higher ratio of greasy cheesy/saucy center to rim.
OK thanks...I guess I get it now. I suppose one of my beloved Chicago thin crust greasy little squares would be real strange eating if it were cut NY style from a 27in. pie!  :o
Thanks again.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"