Author Topic: New Collaborative Standard - Tampa Fe Crust  (Read 20956 times)

Offline visitor

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Collaborative Standard - Tampa Fe Crust
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »
Scott r, I put my oven on the clean cycle for about 50 minutes with the stone on the top rack.  After 50 minutes, I shut it down for 10 minutes and start it up again.  This is the only way that I can get the broiler to stay on as long as I need it to.  After I restart the clean cycle the oven stays on broil for about 3.5 minutes which is plenty of time to bake my pies.  When I throw the pie in, the stone reads about 800 and although it's difficult to measure the heat 3" above the stone I think it's safe to say that it's around 900-950.  (In the past I've taken the measurement above the stone by placing a sheet of tin foil over the stone and measuring that after about 10-15 minutes.  I haven't done that with this setup yet.)
I do like the grande fresh mozz and I'm lucky enough that a local grocery store carries it.  I would like to try the buffalo mozz but I haven't been able to find it locally yet.  Do you order yours or do you get it locally?  Pete

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »
wow, that is an unusual way to bake pies.  I am glad that you were able to figure that out and get it to work for you.   I am not sure I understand why you have to turn off the oven and wait.  Is this because the oven will not open during the cleaning cycle?

I am very lucky to live in Boston where we have numerous sources for buffala at the retail and wholesale level.  This cheese is so expensive to begin with that I would not bother paying shipping charges for it.  If you do get  a chance to try some, and it is fresh, you might even prefer it to the grande.  For now you can rest assured that you are cooking with some excellent cheese.

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
I have to shut the cleaning cycle off and leave it off for ten minutes so that the temp drops enough to where I can restart the cleaning process.  If I try to put a pie in there after it's been heating up for 45 minutes, the broiler will only stay on for about 15 seconds.  When I turn it off for ten minutes and then restart it, the broiler stays on for about 3.5 minutes.  The lock has never been a problem.  I had to play around with it for a while and I eventually came up with this solution.  That's good to hear that I'm not missing that much with the buffalo mozz but like you said, I will certainly try it when I get the opportunity.  Oh yeah, I wanted to thank you for the tip about letting the dough sit in the flour for a couple minutes.  That seems to be making a nice difference.  On a different note, I dropped off my brick oven plans to our local fire inspector today and he seems to be ok with everything so far.  Now I just have to get by the zoning.  I would sure like to accomplish that this summer.  We'll see.  Take care, Pete

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »
Based on Marco's suggestion to try crusts made from both Caputo 00 and San Felice using only commercial yeast to isolate the flavor contribution of just the flour, I finally got around to creating two batches (actually 3, see below) of identical dough, varying only the brand of flour. Each dough was baked up without topping and I had my wife give me samples of each crust in a blind taste test. The blind part wasn't really necessary since I have come to recognize the flavor of each of these flours. The flavor of the San Felice was distinctly deeper and more interesting. The Caputo had somewhat less flavor. Perhaps others would come to different a conclusion, but this test confirms my individual preference for San Felice.

On a related note, I also created a batch using the San Felice and the French starter from Ed Wood. The resulting flavor was somewhat sweeter than the Camaldoli, and different but VERY delicious. I won't say it was better than the Camaldoli, but it is definitely worthy of future testing.

I'm not going to be able to post much during the next few months, but I will definitely be sticking with the San Felice for now and tweaking my method to see where it takes me. I'll try to report my results when I can.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »
De gustibus non est disputandum (There is no dispute about taste)

We obviously look at two different desired results and if you have found what you were looking for for your ideal product we have agree to disagree.

On a separate note, I have just returned from a long week-end in Naples, where I had some of the best pizza ever, all at Salvo pizzeria. Me and Ciro see the pizza same way...... It definetelly is the best pizza in Naples at the moment. Same dough as at Da Michele but with better care to the smallest details.

Ciao

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
De gustibus non est disputandum (There is no dispute about taste)

I hear you! What I can say is that my gustibus has been evolving and things I preferred a year ago are no longer my favorites. I'm going to stick with San Felice for several months, I think, but I'll then give Caputo another try to see what by taste buds tell me. There is also a chance I'll be in Naples in October and will endeavor to eat as much pizza at as many places as possible to "recalibrate" my system.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 10:59:17 PM »
Here are some pics from this evenings pie.  Made with 100% Caputo 00 at a 56% hydration level.  The 56% is calculated including the preferment.  Without adjusting for the preferment the hydration would have been about 52%.  I posted these pics because I thought the rise time might be of interest to some of the people that follow this topic.  It had a 65 degree rise for about 36 hours.  All in all, it turned out well.  The preferment was definitely more noticeable than the 12 hour rises that I've been using as of late.  I'm torn between which I like better.  12 or 36.  Bill, on the first page of this topic you mention using Giusto's bread flour for pizza.  Did you ever try that?  I've been trying to find a source for their high gluten flour but haven't been successful as of yet.  I've heard that Chris Bianco uses Giusto's so I figured it was worth a shot.   Pete

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2006, 08:43:01 AM »
Bill, on the first page of this topic you mention using Giusto's bread flour for pizza.  Did you ever try that?  I've been trying to find a source for their high gluten flour but haven't been successful as of yet.  I've heard that Chris Bianco uses Giusto's so I figured it was worth a shot.   Pete

Peteg,

No, I have only been using Giusto's bread flour for making bread - I like it very much. Here is a source for their hi-gluten flour but I do notice they are out of stock: http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=132201&cgrfnbr=171236.

Bill/SFNM