Author Topic: Getting pizza off the peel!! Please help  (Read 2098 times)

Offline sourbug

• Brewing and Making Pizza
Getting pizza off the peel!! Please help
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
I've read a ton of threads on this subject, but I'm still having major issues getting my pizza from my Acacia Wooden Peel onto my pre-heated stone.  My dough is sticking to the peel and once ingredients are on, it won't slide off correctly.  I've used flour, corn meal, and tried to keep it from sticking. I'm loving the dough I'm making, but maybe that's part of the problem. 

Let's ignore the dough itself for a second and talk about any other peel to stone transfer tips. I've been having to set my perforated pan on the stone to cook, which basically defeats the purpose of the stone.  Please help.  Thanks!!

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
Re: Getting pizza off the peel!! Please help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
Hi Sourbug.

In my opinion, the easiest way to get a pizza off a peel is to use a sheet of parchment paper.  Form your dough and build your pizza right on the wooden peel on top of a sheet of parchment paper cut to the size of your stone.  Be careful -- it's so slick it will slide right off quickly.  The parchment paper will have almost no noticeable effect on how the pizza cooks.

Once you're ready to graduate from that method, you might try using some rice flour on the peel.  It works well, but not that much better than your cornmeal.  One key is to dress the pizza very quickly.  Once you add sauce to the dough, you want to get the pizza into the oven in about one minute or less.  If it takes much longer than that, you risk the sauce making the dough soggy and causing it to stick to the peel.  Hope it helps and best of luck.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:02:19 PM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
first things first,  take your dough from its container and flour the entire ball every bit of it,  the excess will be removed while stretching. Take the cornmeal and use it to make cornbread,  use semolina if anything. Rub down your peel with flour and leave a little on it.  once stretched,  build the pizza in less than a minute,  give a shake to make sure its not stuck,  and get it in the oven.  If one drop of sauce or oil hit the peel it will ruin your launch if not treated. wipe it off and cover it in flour.  good luck.  -Marc
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:28:23 PM by Tampa »

Offline sourbug

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
Thanks to both of you. Some good tips here that I'm going to try!  I'm upset that I got this great new stone and I haven't been able to use it yet. 

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
I've read a ton of threads on this subject, but I'm still having major issues getting my pizza from my Acacia Wooden Peel onto my pre-heated stone.  My dough is sticking to the peel and once ingredients are on, it won't slide off correctly.  I've used flour, corn meal, and tried to keep it from sticking. I'm loving the dough I'm making, but maybe that's part of the problem. 

Let's ignore the dough itself for a second and talk about any other peel to stone transfer tips. I've been having to set my perforated pan on the stone to cook, which basically defeats the purpose of the stone.  Please help.  Thanks!!

The tips posted above are great. Have you tried practicing with an untopped skin, just to practice the motion?

Like widespreadpizza mentions, when I remove my dough from the contained I put it in a bowl of flour, and flip it. The flour slowly gets absorbed by the moisture in the dough. The key is to work quickly once you've put the skin on the peel and before topping it make sure it's not stuck, and check again intermittently while topping it.

The parchment paper will have almost no noticeable effect on how the pizza cooks.

On a stone at 550F won't the paper burn?  I suppose there might not be enough oxygen between the stone and the dough?

Also, I've often read that stones are porous and thus moisture-wicking while parchment paper isn't.  This should make some difference, though it might be negligible.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
On a stone at 550F won't the paper burn?  I suppose there might not be enough oxygen between the stone and the dough?

David,

You might take a look at Replies 22-24 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6708.msg61864.html#msg61864. I found it interesting that member enchant (Pat) was able to use/reuse his parchment sheets up to three times. And member November's post at Reply 24 is also enlightening, as are most of his posts.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Sourbug, well I could tell you about the wonders of a slotted metal peel, best solution I have ever had, BUT, I won't. I have found that getting your dough to slide is as much a matter of gluten developement as it is technique.
As far as dressing the dough, I would suggest that you try dressing it on a smooth hard surface, granite, SS, etc. and leave the peel for transport and shaking. So put your gluten developed dough on the counter after sprinkling some flour on the counter top. Open your dough, see if it moves freely on the counter after opened . Add your 1st topping, slide your flourerd peel under the skin and wiggle, make sure the pie slides A LITTLE, add the next topping and repeat the jiggling of the peel add the next topping,etc. The goal is to never let the skin stick in the 1st place to anything, counter or peel. If you still have the pie on the peel wiggle again just before launching onto your stone. If it doesn't move on the peel, don't launch. If it is stuck to the peel take a length of dental floss and run under the pie to loosen. Then GO FER IT.

Now back to the GI metal slotted peel, buy one and never look back. I open and dress my dough on the counter and then slide the peel under the pie, tap the bottom of the peel while transporting to the oven so all the excess flour falls on the floor, or on your dog, then launch.

Oh, and to make it all easier, make sure you knead your dough long enough to get the gluten well formed. Makes all this launching stuff so much easier.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:46 AM »
I tried this out last summer and now use it EVERY time I make a pie. It limits the time the dough is on the peel to a few seconds and it slides right off. I use 00 flour on my peel rubbed in well and a little coarse kosher salt sprinkled of to act as ball bearings, and the salt won't burn either. You can literally spend as much time as you want building your pie on the linen cloth then slide it on the peel, shake, and slide into the oven, including wetter doughs and heavily topped pies. I know use a 1/8 - 3/8 thick piece of plywood instead of the cardboard that was my so called prototype. You will love this!!! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26818.msg271189.html#msg271189

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline sourbug

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
I tried this out last summer and now use it EVERY time I make a pie. It limits the time the dough is on the peel to a few seconds and it slides right off. I use 00 flour on my peel rubbed in well and a little coarse kosher salt sprinkled of to act as ball bearings, and the salt won't burn either. You can literally spend as much time as you want building your pie on the linen cloth then slide it on the peel, shake, and slide into the oven, including wetter doughs and heavily topped pies. I know use a 1/8 - 3/8 thick piece of plywood instead of the cardboard that was my so called prototype. You will love this!!! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26818.msg271189.html#msg271189

jon

This looks like a good idea.  So whats the easiest thing for me to buy that is this type of linen?  Am I going to be shopping at JoAnn Fabric for my pizza making needs?  :)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
Call around to Walmart, Target, Restaurant Supply joints and see who's got some in supply.

jon

Offline misterschu

Offline Davydd

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »
There is a simple trick you can do if your dough starts to stick to the peel. Take some dental floss and slide it under and through. That usually can be enough to break the dough from the peel so you can slide it off. That's kind of a last resort. Most of the time I do not have a problem. I dress my wood peel with semolina flour and also make sure the dough is right at the very end of the peel with just a tad hanging over to make contact with the stone. That little bit can be just enough.

The parchment paper I have says it is good up to 420 degrees. I used some on my new table top Breville Pizza Maker but removed it easily after two minutes of baking before it started burning. I over sized it 1/2" around the pizza and used some tongs to grab it and slide it out from under. Parchment paper is nice. Better than the burned flour you have to clean up off your stone when you are done.
Davydd

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
Rub a little flour into peel and then put on some semolina flour.  Dress pizza fast.  Good luck.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
Rub a little flour into peel and then put on some semolina flour.  Dress pizza fast.  Good luck.
Exactly what I've been doing for a long time.

Last night I tried bread crumbs after having enjoyed the great videos from Pats Pizza in Chicago. By golly miss Molly....it works real good...real good. Kind of makes sense too when you hear Pat explain why he does it.  :chef:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13803.0.html#lastPost
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline sourbug

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »

jon

Thank you, thank you.  This worked GREAT!  Went and grabbed a 4 dollar piece of linen at fabric store and it did the trick.  I'll do this every time. Takes an extra minute and well worth the results.  Thanks again!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:11 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you. So simple, works GREAT!

jon

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
If my pizza is sticking to the peel I lift up the corner and blow under the pizza. It floats like a magic carpet, then slide it back and forth on the peel and its ready to launch.

Offline asihi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
A while back, someone posted a simple recipe for peel flour; 50% cornmeal-50% semolina. I mix up a small containers worth and keep it in a cabinet when I need it. You really don't need a lot.
One other thing that I do is just after rolling out the dough and before I put it on the peel, I dust my hands with a little bit of flour, rub down the dough and flip it over onto the peel. I had pizzas slide right off after being on the peel for 10 minutes.

Tony   

Offline Hank94170

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
A while back, someone posted a simple recipe for peel flour; 50% cornmeal-50% semolina. I mix up a small containers worth and keep it in a cabinet when I need it. You really don't need a lot.
One other thing that I do is just after rolling out the dough and before I put it on the peel, I dust my hands with a little bit of flour, rub down the dough and flip it over onto the peel. I had pizzas slide right off after being on the peel for 10 minutes.

Tony

Hello everyone!
This is definitely my favorite solution to a sticky problem!  I've always been fearful of the launch, but not anymore!  Just a little of the cornmeal/semolina mix on the peel, and a light dusting of the dough with the flour worked best for me.  Five pizzas last week-end and not one failed launch.  Also as Tony said, I had one pizza on the stone for 4 minutes and with a little shake to make sure the dough's not sticking my pizza slid right off...wow....  Thanks Tony!

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
Rice flour works great as well. I have a small bag of that for peel flour. Rub a little on the peel, then give it a gentle tap to remove excess.

It also works great if you proof wet bread doughs in lined banettons.

pizzapan