Author Topic: One night in Chicago  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
One night in Chicago
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:37:23 AM »
Next weekend I will be in the south side of Chicago to pick up some electronics.I only have one night in town and would like to know the must have pizza places for deep dish and a regular pie.I do not want tourist places,I want what best represents this fine city.Any recomendations would be appreciated,you can pm me or post on the board.
Thanks folks.
Aaron

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: One night in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:49:55 AM »
Aaron,

I would guess that the recommendations will be similar to those advanced a while back at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2587.msg22400.html#msg22400.

Peter

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »
Thanks Peter for the link.
I can not wait for this roadtrip,me and the brother in law are gonna have a good time and some good eats.
P.S deep dish is very hard to find in Canada,Frank Vateers(sp) was here about 20 years back but they only lasted a couple months before packing it in.The place was always packed but they still closed down,go figure.
Aaron

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »
Let us know how it turned out!! ;D

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 10:45:08 AM »
Unfortunately we had to change plans,brother in law got sent to Quebec city instead.I pity the poor guy,its hard to find a good pie were he is.
We are going to reshedule our trip for the near future,need to use up them airmiles soon.
Aaron

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
Aaron,

I love telling this story........ a place near me called "Papa Pizza" , sells a "Chicago" style pizza.

If you call them, and ask for this type of pie, guess what they send you ? ........ a regular ol' pizza
but they just make the dough a lot thicker ! .... that's it........... Canadian style Chicago pizza  :o

The places around here couldn't bake a real Chicago pizza if their life depended on it...... it's pretty
sad.... however I guess it's normal, as nobody even knows what they are, so it doesn't get the owners
of pizza parlours to get educated on it....

But in defense of our places around here,  many of the PRIVATE owned places make awesome pizza... when
I want a good pizza I will go over and order one ( not from a franchise though) and eventhough they are all the
same from private owned to private owned, they are great pies.  I guess when you grown up eating a certain
style of pizza, you just tend to love it, and they do make great pizzas.

Mark

P.S deep dish is very hard to find in Canada,Frank Vateers(sp) was here about 20 years back but they only lasted a couple months before packing it in.The place was always packed but they still closed down,go figure.
Aaron
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:33:20 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.