Author Topic: Midtown manhattan, west side, best slice joints?  (Read 579 times)

Offline Grodyjodi

Midtown manhattan, west side, best slice joints?
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
When I searched "midtown manhattan" pretty much nothing came up in the way of decent spots to grab a slice for working locals.  My new job is on 59th and 9th, and I never have time to sit for a true meal so a slice is one of my only realistic meal options... But I don't have time either to pursue every shop between 34th and 59th to discover the best pizza.  I am in a vehicle and move around a lot, so have access to a couple square miles but at random times.
Help me, NYC pizzamaking forum members, you're my only hope.

Borders are 34th  to 59th, 5th Ave to the Hudson.  Where can I go on the run and not be disappointed I even tried?

Sincerely,
Jodi

scott123

Re: Midtown manhattan, west side, best slice joints?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:53 AM »
Jodi, it's a little South of your borders, but NY pizza suprema has it's fans.  Having lived in that neighborhood for 6 years- and having suffered through some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten, I'm a little skeptical of suprema, but, I've never been, and people who I trust are fans, so it's probably worth a try.

As far as the rest of that area goes, when I was there in the 90s, that was a major wasteland for slices, and it most likely hasn't changed much.

Slice Harvester has reviews for 4 places in Hell's Kitchen

http://www.sliceharvester.com/search/label/Hell%27s%20Kitchen

None of them are really floating my boat, though.  Unless someone else chimes in, I would probably opt for another type of cuisine.  I doubt it's still there, but Lemon Tree had some pretty amazing (and relatively fast) middle eastern food. Also, it's a bit longer, but Meskerem used to do a great Ethiopian platter.

I'm pretty sure Don Antonio's does take out, by the way.  In theory, you should be able to call ahead and have your pie ready when you get there.  You might want to time it so the pizza doesn't sit too long in the box, though. If you leave a hot NP pie in the box too long, you might end up with soup  ;D

Offline Grodyjodi

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:22 AM »
Thank you Scott for the info. 
I was afraid I was in a wasteland, and ordering for pick up isn't feasible when you are at the mercy of a dispatcher and hordes of Times Square tourists falling in potholes while jaywalking 4 across looking up at all the LCD ads.
I did have a hangover slice a couple weeks back from a cafe type place... Bad pizza, but great cheesy oily recovery snack.   :P
I will give up and put my hopes in other, more likely things in life than decent pizza at work!

scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:25:07 AM »
Bad pizza, but great cheesy oily recovery snack.   :P

Perhaps the pizzas have improved a bit, because when I was there, the pizzas were typically extremely pale, and never baked long enough to bring any of the oil out of the cheese. Unless the slice you had was pepperoni and the oil was from that.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
I like NY Pizza Suprema, they have a good NY slice and a great "upside down slice." 

Online jkb

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I've been to NY Pizza Suprema once.  I had a plain, a pepperoni and an upside down.  It was ok.  Maybe my expectations were too high because of all the praise, but I honestly think my pizza is better.  I went to Don Antonio a month and a half ago.  Got a Margherita and a porcini.  The sauce and cheese were great.  The porcinis tasted like rehydrated dry mushrooms - nothing special, especially for a $23 pie for one.  I was pretty disappointed with the crust.  It was lacking in flavor and texture.  Three of us split two pies with two glasses of wine and a milk.  The bill came to $85 with tip.  It would be an expensive lunch.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
I think my homemade pies taste better than almost anything I've eaten out, too.

Porcinis usually are rehydrated dry mushrooms...