Author Topic: anybody tried pizza cucinova in Columbus OH?  (Read 804 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
anybody tried pizza cucinova in Columbus OH?
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Someone came into today and said they ate there it reminded them of our pizza.  I am curious.  Anyone tried it or have any info on them?  I went to their website but it offered nothing much to go on.  I have driven the 40-60 minutes to Columbus too many times for pizza that was reccommended but IMO was no good.  Thanks.  Walter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:52:49 PM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: anybody tried pizza cucinova in Columbus OH?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
walter, have you tried harvest pizza in the German village?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »
walter, have you tried harvest pizza in the German village?

thezaman:  No I haven't. What type of pie do they make?   To be honest I have gone into Columbus blindly about 4 times searching for pizza.  This was before I joined this forum and had no idea the internet had sites where you could get opinions and such on places.  All the trips were such a disapointment that I stopped looking.  I never even bought a pie.  I would walk in say hi and talk to the people, look at their pies, and decided quickly they were not worth eating.  I don't mean to sound like a snob but I know what I like and anything less is not worth eating.  I have eaten in a couple places in German Village - Schmidts and another German restaurant.  I love the architecture and vibe of the village but the food left me unimpressed.  I just have spent too many years of my life eating in small mom/pop places around the world with great cooks maning them.  The Columbus scene hits me as a place with not such great chefs and/or  too large of a staff to pull off really good food consistently.  I ate at Rigsbys and it was good!  Walter
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:18:38 PM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
walter, it is a replant of roberta's in Brooklyn. meaning it looks and feels the same.the oven is brick but gas fired. i realy liked their pizza especially the dough!! not neapolitan they use KA sir Lancelot and it was wonderful. the sauce was seasoned crushed California 7/11.their topping combinations were creative. they butter the crust with butter and parm cheese .very popular restaurant as is their cocktail bar right next to it. they are expanding to a second location . would love to figure out their dough it was realy good.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
thezaman:  I will keep this in mind next time I am in Columbus which may be today.  We are going to trader joes and were going to check out cucinova but if that looks bad maybe we will hit harvest village. I had my 2 slices for lunch a few minutes ago cold out of the fridge.  I dig cold pizza. My family ate it hot, cold, and as often as they could!  I am not a fan of butter on the crust but am open to checking it out.  I have little motivation to go out for pizza anymore because with my current set up I make the pie of my dreams.  I feel everyone should be making the pie of their dreams. I met a guy a while back who is thinking of opening a pizzeria.  He loved our pie and commented he should make a pizza like that because everyone there was loving it. I told  him that was crazy.  Make the pie that you love, that you can't stop eating,have to force yourself to stop eating, and have no concern on what joe public wants.  The guy thought I was joking.  I was dead serious.  How can a person make something they are not 100% behind?  Money is not my love the pizza is :)  I eat 2 slices a day for lunch and have to stop myself from eating more.  Usually on Fridays, because we are not in school weekends, I  bring a pie home for my wife and I.  Walter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:59:25 PM by waltertore »

Offline dineomite

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
Larry,

The owner (Chris) told me he modeled his dough after Pizzeria Mozza in LA. It truly is a fantastic place. IMO, the best in Columbus.

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Pizza Cucinova is owned by Sbarros and is a new concept. The concept is to have a Chipotle style line where you can choose your own toppings. They then throw your creation in a WFO. I really think this concept is going to be huge but have yet to try it.

http://nrn.com/fast-casual/sbarro-joins-fast-casual-pizza-race
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/10/first-look-pizza-cucinova-debuts-as.html?page=all

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
I finally got a chance to eat at Pizza Cucinova last night in Columbus. The restaurant in general is replica of 800degrees in Westwood CA. I call it Subway Subs style. Order your base or one of their regular pies and then move down to the toppings area and pick toppings, get your ticket, pay and get called when it is done. They even have their flour stacked up near the beginning of the order line like 800. Anyway, what a massive disapointment, maybe my expectations were set to high from 800 or Mozza since I did get to visit both this year. If I had to review it I would give it 1/2 star and that would be because the soda brought it up from 0 stars.

So here is how we started out, Saturday evening 6pm mid dinner rush, walked in and the place was half empty, I then saw the stacks of Caputo Pizzeria flour piled up and got petty excited, ordered our pies, did our thing, moved on down to the oven area where I stopped to watch for a while since I am a WFO guy, so the family said oh no, he is going into pizza geek mode and sat down. This is when I got really confused, I am looking in/at the ovens, I believe they were Woodstone with gas assist, the only problem the gas wasn't assisting anything, the gas was the only thing I saw, not an ember, ash, kindling or wood fire. To my amazement the ovens were soot free, ash free and wood free with absolutely no signs of wood burning anywhere at any time, now confusion really starts to kick in.
(Does Woodstone make an oven with the burn chamber not part of the actual cooking area?) There are two digital readout thermocouples mounted near the ovens each display had two readings, I couldn't tell if was upper/lower limit temps or maybe dome/hearth temps, anyway both ovens were reading ~670/550. My heart sank and I slinked over to our table anticipating what was to come. Now the pizzas, the crust was flavorless and dense with no cell structure, the bottoms were ghost white, no char, not even a golden baked spot on the bottom, the toppings were toppings so nothing stood out, but some of the larger lumps of cheese didn't even melt. The sauce was the bright point of the whole thing, it was good.

I don't want to bash Cucinova, every place can have a bad moment and maybe this was one of those times and I was collateral damage, but I still want to know where the wood fire was 'cause it wasn't in the oven.

pizzapan