Author Topic: Ridgewood, NJ Neapolitan pizza (not A Mano)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Ridgewood, NJ Neapolitan pizza (not A Mano)
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »

Offline Chaze215

Re: Ridgewood, NJ Neapolitan pizza (not A Mano)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
I'm sure JConk007 has been there and know them. I will be waiting for him to chime in.
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
well yes I have been By and yes this place is literally right around the corner, in my opinion, from some of the best Neapolitan anywhere! With the high rents in Ridgewood, No liqour, and 30-40 seats I wish them well. You know I'll be 1st in Line  ;D
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
Yeah, it will have its set of challenges for sure. While someone like me would love bringing a bottle of wine and going through a couple of artisanal cheeses and meats on a plank, I'm not sure that the rest of Ridgewood shares that passion.

I'm very interested in seeing what they'll be doing.

JConk, did you get a look inside? It's a very nice building on the outside. Close to the parking lots, which is probably a bonus.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:39 PM »
Yeah But you still gotta schelp under RR thru tunnel  to get there tommy. Limitd parking in front of building nice and High $$ rent too !! time will tell  ;)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
Well there's a commuter lot directly across the street, so you can avoid the schlep, if you can get a spot (although I've been known to schlep for good food). And there are two lots just about 2 blocks away. And the other side of the street has no businesses, so that frees up some additional spots. Point being, it's not quite as bad to park near there as it is in some other parts of town. :)

Since I'm curious and nosey, I tried to find out if they own the building. That would make a lot of sense.  I probably wouldn't consider opening a restaurant unless I owned the property. But it looks like they probably don't. Gotta sell a lot of dough in Ridgewood to make that nut!

Offline JerryAldo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
Is there any new information on this next Neapolitan spot in Ridgewood? (2-18-14)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
It opened. It's called S. Egidio.  Haven't been yet.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
Yeah, it will have its set of challenges for sure. While someone like me would love bringing a bottle of wine and going through a couple of artisanal cheeses and meats on a plank, I'm not sure that the rest of Ridgewood shares that passion.

I'm very interested in seeing what they'll be doing.

JConk, did you get a look inside? It's a very nice building on the outside. Close to the parking lots, which is probably a bonus.

You know, i used to think not having beer or wine on the menu was a death knoll.....not so sure anymore.

I know a guy who has a no booze place.  He charges a 5 buck each adult corking fee.  So he makes say, 10 bucks, no inventory, less insurance, no storage....AND people can go there with the idea that they will spend less because they don't have to be tempted by booze if they don't want.  As soon as he brought in beer and wine....sales dropped!  THink about that 10 bucks.....FOR WASHING TWO GLASSES!!

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
You know, i used to think not having beer or wine on the menu was a death knoll.....not so sure anymore.

I know a guy who has a no booze place.  He charges a 5 buck each adult corking fee.  So he makes say, 10 bucks, no inventory, less insurance, no storage....AND people can go there with the idea that they will spend less because they don't have to be tempted by booze if they don't want.  As soon as he brought in beer and wine....sales dropped!  THink about that 10 bucks.....FOR WASHING TWO GLASSES!!
New Jersey (like many states) has funny liquor laws. Licenses are so expensive and hard to come by (the number for any town is based on population) that most restaurants are BYOB. In Ridgewood, the town where this restaurant is, there are probably 40 restaurants and only 5 licenses.

People in Jersey are used to BYOB and many prefer it. After all, it's a huge savings for the diner.

Restaurants without a liquor license are not allowed to charge a corkage fee. A corkage fee can only be applied if the restaurant serves booze.

Just an FYI.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
Connecticut is a bit different.  For one, there ISN'T a certain amount of liquor licences.  In states where they are limited....when an owner sells his restaurant, his liquor license is ALSO for sale.....many times the price of the LL is MORE than the price of the restaurant business.  In CT, you can open a place and apply for a LL anytime you want, as long as certain aspects fall into place.  So many feet from a school, church, package store.....etc.  But, as long as your location isn't to close to these, you will be granted a liquor license, as long as you are not a felon and can verify where the money is coming from.

In this state, IF i am not mistaken, you can charge a corkage fee to anyone wanting to bring in their own booze......usually a few bucks each.  But, I just found out this year, that EVEN if you have a full liquor license, if someone wants to bring in, say a fantastic bottle of wine, it is legal to do so.  But, the corkage fees around her for those type situations are more or less around $25 per glass!!!  I never knew that....i had always thought that you cannot bring in outside booze to a restaurant that sells booze......but I was wrong.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:20:02 AM »
There is a place north of us just above Doylestown PA that does not have a liquor license but serves wine.  The way they get around it is to "give" you a free bottle of wine but the corkage fee is 20.00.  Of course you don't have a great selection to choose from but it's their way of getting around the license.
tom