Author Topic: Gino's Style Mini Deep Dish Pizzas  (Read 1222 times)

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
Gino's Style Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:23:14 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a deep dish pizza booth at our local farmers market here in Southern California. I'm originally from a city right outside of Chicago and LOVE deep dish pizza. Sadly there are only 3 places in LA and the best one still isn't very good. Good idea or bad idea?

Sausage & Pepperoni.

Joshua

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Gino's Style Mini Deep Dish Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a deep dish pizza booth at our local farmers market here in Southern California. I'm originally from a city right outside of Chicago and LOVE deep dish pizza. Sadly there are only 3 places in LA and the best one still isn't very good. Good idea or bad idea?

Sausage & Pepperoni.

Joshua
What size is that pie in the first pic Joshua?
For the farmers market, what do you envision as a size/serving you could sell....whole/slices?  And what oven(s) do you have in mind. Are you thinking of using a display warmer?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:42:22 PM »
I think the serving size would be individual 6" pizzas, they'd be pretty big for the individual but I'd cut them up into four slices anyway for easy eating and in case the thinner person wants to share. :) I was thinking of selling them at either $7 or $8 per pizza(the market is nice because the markup on hot food is around that price). The first and last pic is 6" i totally forgot to take a picture of the cut up individual ones before we ate them so the middle slice picture is an 8" cut up for the rest of the family.

As for preparation, I was looking into a commissary kitchen close to me where I could either bake them there in two shifts (my wife bring them over twice during the 9am-2pm day) and then we could have a hot case and a smaller pizza oven for warm ups. Or I was thinking about getting four electric or propane ovens to cook them there. These 6" pizzas cook a bit quicker than my 16" version.

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »
I'd have to try out the oven obviously, but being small 6" it might be easier to do. Also for me, deep dish hasn't needed the higher temps I've seen for some of the neapolitan pizzas.

I've been looking at buying one of these:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1247444/?affsrcid=Aff0001&CAWELAID=120120820000007235&cagpspn=pla

I fit a pan in it a week ago it seems to fit just fine, but I'd still have to try it out.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »
I think the serving size would be individual 6" pizzas, they'd be pretty big for the individual but I'd cut them up into four slices anyway for easy eating and in case the thinner person wants to share. :) I was thinking of selling them at either $7 or $8 per pizza(the market is nice because the markup on hot food is around that price). The first and last pic is 6" i totally forgot to take a picture of the cut up individual ones before we ate them so the middle slice picture is an 8" cut up for the rest of the family.

As for preparation, I was looking into a commissary kitchen close to me where I could either bake them there in two shifts (my wife bring them over twice during the 9am-2pm day) and then we could have a hot case and a smaller pizza oven for warm ups. Or I was thinking about getting four electric or propane ovens to cook them there. These 6" pizzas cook a bit quicker than my 16" version.
Is there anyone else selling pizza at this market?  Tell me why you want to sell Chicago DD there. Is this a one day a week market?

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »
There's only 3 deep dish places in LA and the best one isn't very good at all. Heck LA pizza sucks in general, the only place we like is a NYC pizza place that was transplanted from NYC. Everyone I've ever made my pies for have loved them and stuffed themselves on it. So, me and my wife had a dream to eventually open a deep dish restaurant but we are poor and this is a least expensive way to start such a thing. I've also looked at many of the laws and we'd be just fine, just a few hoops to jump through and a couple things to buy. Probably a $2,000 investment total, but if I get the response that I've been getting from my friends, heck it might actually work.

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
There is a market every day of the week somewhere in LA, but we'd start on the weekends in our town. And nobody is selling pizza at any of the markets we go to. So it's pretty much wide open as for the "LA deep dish pizza market"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
I like your enthusiasm Smitty....yhat can take you places you never dreamed of.  :chef:

With DD pizza in a Farmers Market setting we are looking at some tricky logistic/timing issues. I'd like to see how this can be overcome though because I am genuinely interested in your venture...I think it can be done!

First off, that cute 'lil oven you linked to would probably be just a waste of money....maybe not, too early to tell. Definitely can't do complete bake in that and I'm sure there are better units available to use for a quick reheat...if that is even going to be part of the plan.

This commissary you mentioned....what is it's distance from the actual spot your Market booth/stall will be located?

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »
Thanks Bob!

The commissary is 10-12 miles away from both of the markets I'd like to be in (Saturday & Sunday). Both markets are close to the highway and so is the commissary, so we're talking like less than 15 minutes door to booth, one way.

As for the bake and reheat idea, do you think the pies would hold up to that? Since the cheese is on the bottom, maybe it'd hold the sauce in ok. I was also thinking maybe I could par bake them without the toppings or sauce, then when they're transported, bake them the rest of the way with the toppings and sauce. We're only thinking three types for the booth, Cheese, Pepperoni/Sausage, & Supreme.

I've cooked pizzas on my grill a few times and I had hoped the propane oven above might get hot enough, but you're right, it is kind of toy-like. Do you think some of the smaller bakers pride ovens would work to cook the rest of the way through? Like the PX-14 or PX-16?

Offline puckboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
Growing up in Chicago area and living in both LA & San Diego area for years (back in Chicago)... I do understand your frustration with pizza out there. Your pies look BEAUTIFUL! If you could perfect it, you could be onto something. I have friends that moved there from Chicago and that is one thing they really miss... pizza (and going to Wrigley field)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
Thanks Bob!

The commissary is 10-12 miles away from both of the markets I'd like to be in (Saturday & Sunday). Both markets are close to the highway and so is the commissary, so we're talking like less than 15 minutes door to booth, one way.

As for the bake and reheat idea, do you think the pies would hold up to that? Since the cheese is on the bottom, maybe it'd hold the sauce in ok. I was also thinking maybe I could par bake them without the toppings or sauce, then when they're transported, bake them the rest of the way with the toppings and sauce. We're only thinking three types for the booth, Cheese, Pepperoni/Sausage, & Supreme.

I've cooked pizzas on my grill a few times and I had hoped the propane oven above might get hot enough, but you're right, it is kind of toy-like. Do you think some of the smaller bakers pride ovens would work to cook the rest of the way through? Like the PX-14 or PX-16?
OK, I had a feeling the commissary was not there on site. It probably won't even be needed though but good to know what's available to you. I don't think you'll be wanting to mess around shuttling pies around.
The good news though is that this type of pizza, with the mass that it has can probably be "held" for quite a while. The key/trick to your set-up is going to be all in the timing. You're going to have a learning curve there with the amount of people at your market who want to buy your pizza and how they will choose to order...slices, whole pies, individual size,sharing size, etc.
Once that is discovered, it will be a balancing act between pizzas baking in the oven and pizza being kept warm in (hopefully) a heated display cabinet. The 2 Bakers Pride ovens you mentioned are what I am thinking you will need for portability at Market. Not those in particular but something like it. The BP's have been discussed a lot here and I'm pretty sure Scott has said they are not too good.
Btw, I have asked member Scott123 to chime in here next time he see's this thread, he is our resident oven Guru, and much more, so hopefully he will be along soon.
That's all I have for right now Smitty. I'll be back as I keep pondering this situation.

Bob

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
Thanks so much Bob, I really appreciate it!

I'll still need the commissary for dough prep the day prior, since my dough is a 24 hour cold rise. I'm currently reading through some of the oven info and sometimes it just gets daunting to go through thread after thread so Scott's insight would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks again!

Joshua

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
Joshua,

Are you using a Gino's recipe you found on this website?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
No, I've been refining one I've had for a few years now. I've just started getting hardcore about it though and measuring my ingredients and using percentages and such. I think I still need to bring the dough amount down a little bit more per pan, but I think it's getting there! Still jumping back and forth between using butter, shortening, oil, etc. Always changing and refining it.  ;)

Offline pythonic

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »
No, I've been refining one I've had for a few years now. I've just started getting hardcore about it though and measuring my ingredients and using percentages and such. I think I still need to bring the dough amount down a little bit more per pan, but I think it's getting there! Still jumping back and forth between using butter, shortening, oil, etc. Always changing and refining it.  ;)

Are you using food coloring to make the dough its famous yellow color?

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
No food coloring, I guess Gino's pies do look a bit more yellow, but I always kinda questioned that they use yellow food coloring for that. Even if they do, I'd rather leave the coloring out, I'm trying to use as much organic/nonGMO or natural items as possible since LA is big on organic products right now(as am I and my family). But sadly, what I've found is that even though it says "organic"... it's not always GOOD.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
Good call man....
You do not want yellow dyed looking DD at that Cali Farmers Market.  ;)

Offline pythonic

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
No food coloring, I guess Gino's pies do look a bit more yellow, but I always kinda questioned that they use yellow food coloring for that. Even if they do, I'd rather leave the coloring out, I'm trying to use as much organic/nonGMO or natural items as possible since LA is big on organic products right now(as am I and my family). But sadly, what I've found is that even though it says "organic"... it's not always GOOD.

I have always found Gino's sauce to be a little spicy.  Are you cloning the sauce as well?

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
I think it's an odd idea. Why not make a pizza style that you can bake fresh to order? This is a farmers market. Not matter how good your recipe is it's compromised by sitting in a hot box for several hours.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »
I think it's an odd idea. Why not make a pizza style that you can bake fresh to order? This is a farmers market. Not matter how good your recipe is it's compromised by sitting in a hot box for several hours.
Please contribute positive feedback to this thread...at least untill you have actually read the thread and understand no one has talked about....."a hot box for several hours".

Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:57:29 PM by Chicago Bob »

pizzapan