Author Topic: TXCraig's Room Temp NY Dough  (Read 2268 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: TXCraig's Room Temp NY Dough
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
The dough calculator on this website indicates that a teaspoon of IDY weighs 3 grams.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »
Thanks guys, I can look all this up. Only asked thinking jsaras might have the info at hand.
Not wanting to throw thread off track.  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »
Thank you for the help. Does it also work if you use 2g of yeast to 98g of water; two grams is the smallest amount I can measure.

Julian

Yes.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
I made the same dough again except that I used a 50/50 mix of Pendleton Power Flour and Gold Medal Better For Bread Flour.  This time, the dough was 85 degrees coming out of the food processor.  The dough rose quicker than expected (I was aiming for fermentation at 75 degrees room temp), so I had to slow it down a bit in the refrigerator.  Baked at 600-ish in the Blackstone for 5 minutes.  The end result was excellent in my estimation.  I'm amazed at the oven spring.  My wife commented that she could not think of a single way that it could have been any better.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
I used Craig's formulation again, except I decided to make my first pizza with an Ischia culture.  The temperature here in SoCal is such that my room temp is basically 70 degrees.  So according to Craig's predictive model I decided to use 3% liquid culture (used about 3 hours after feeding it with AP flour) to get a 24-hour fermentation. 

I used the food processor as I did with my IDY-based pizza, so it's pretty much identical.  The dough was about 75 degrees when it came out of the processor, I kneaded it a bit, 10 minute rest, and two "stretch-and-folds" separated by 15 minutes.

I didn't detect much of a difference flavor-wise compared to using IDY, but the underskirt texture was outstanding and I think that the chew factor of the GM bread flour was perhaps increased.  I didn't get as much overall rise as I was hoping for.  Perhaps if I go back to feeding the culture with dark rye flour it'll pack more punch?  Comments or suggestions are welcome.

I think I've just entered pizza "graduate school"!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
Looks pretty darn good from here.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan