Author Topic: Getting Close  (Read 650 times)

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
Getting Close
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »
I have been making pizza recreationally for a few months and am getting it close.
Background- I have worked in about 7 pizza places in my life so I have an idea about pizza (at least eating it).
The best pizza place I worked at was a place where a family from Italy owned the place and only the owner spoke broken English. I was originally hired because I am Italian by descent but mainly American and I spoke English.
They prepared the dough every morning and it was mainly measured by sight and feel so I never got a true recipe. Flour, water, salt, yeast.

Anyway I am cooking now at home oven goes to 550. I am getting up to temperature and then adding about 15 min for the oven and pan to heat up. I am using a recently purchased lodge cast iron pizza pan which I am finding to be an improvement over the pizza stone (cracked after 2Oyrs) that I was using.

My main problem I am having and it seems this way with many different hydration and flour use, is that the crust on the outsides is tough. The bottom crust especially with the cast iron is nice and crispy and I am happy with that. Now if I can get the outside rim crust to be more airy, breadlike and light I would be happy.

I want to use 00 caputo flour since I bought a 10pk of the 3lb bags. I can knead by hand or I do have a Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer.

Any recipe suggestions along w/mixing and ferment times etc that will help me would be awesome. Looking to make NY/ Neapolitan style pizza.

Thanks!!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Getting Close
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
home settings don't exactly have the heat to be able to use the 00 properly.  you can do it, but it's sort of like using a truck to get a gallon of milk because you can haul more milk.   there is people on here who DO use 00 at lower temp settings, but i cannot provide any tips specific to your flour.  if worse comes to worse, a good bread flour, some longer fermentation times and using scales do you know EXACTLY what you are doing to your recipe is a must.  at the very least pick up a scale.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
 I have a scale and have been making some very nice artisan bread. The pizza crust is the one that is stumping me. I have tried using other flours, AP, Bread Flour etc. Same deal.

I can abandon the 00 flour for pizza and just use it for making pasta. What flour do you suggest??

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »
high gluten (higher protein than bread flour) and read through other members dough journeys, find a style/recipe that is close to yours and see what they do
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
You also might want to check to see if your cast iron stone is getting up to temp.  An infrared thermometer is best for this.  It is not unusual for pre-heats to take 30-60 minutes.  The hotter the cast iron is when you place the pizza means a better spring for the crust and overall shorter bake time.  Some people even blast their stone a bit with the broiler to get a bit more of a temp increase prior to the bake.

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
Ok ordered some KASL High Gluten Flour. I will be able to go get it Friday. Hopefully this will help it all come together.

I am actually going to make a pizza tonight from some leftover ciabatta bread dough.  It was so wet. Practically 100% hydration. Not sure how shaping is gonna go. Might not be round.

Made some Borscht along with the Ciabatta bread and it made me think how roasted beets would be on pizza.

Hmmmmm

Having fun!!

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
Well the Ciabatta dough pizza was a failure except it tastes really good!!

The dough was hard to shape. Got holes in it. Stuck to the peel etc.

The bottom was real thin and crispy. The outside was a little hard and very crispy (maybe cooked a bit too long)

It was a 50/50 AP/semolina dough btw.

Anyway I am gonna mess with the hydration level and see what happens.

Any other ideas??

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
Made some good pizza tonight!! Got some KASL and used this recipe

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=29

Pretty happy. Sorry no pics.