Author Topic: Opinions on Wolfgang Puck's 700watt mixer?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Opinions on Wolfgang Puck's 700watt mixer?
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:19:02 PM »
Until now i've been hand kneading all my pies.  While its been fun, i'd like to move up to a stand mixer.  Unfortunately, pricewise the DLX and N50 are out of the question.  So it looked like KA is the only option until I saw Wolfgang Pucks 700watt mixer listed here:
http://catalog.hsn.com/prod-125678/qc/qc0010/181/hp!sf!181!dept/2165497/2165497.htm

Has anyone used this?  I found one member who has bought it and didn't have anything bad to say.  If this mixer is comparable or better than the KA 5 qt professional (Costco $249) I'll buy it, but i'd like more info.

Any opinions?  Thanks.

Danes Dad

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Opinions on Wolfgang Puck's 700watt mixer?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »
Go to the KitchenAid site and look for refurbished mixers.  A nice mixer forum there also.
Not sure how the Puck mixer compares but it Wolf give you more options.

Randy

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Randy - Thanks for the suggestion to go to Kitchen Aid's forum, very entertaining.  A lot of the posts overthere mirror the problems people have with Kitchen Aids here.  KAidVerne who has posted here also takes a beating over at that forum.

KAidVerne - Hope you don't mind but I quoted one of your posts here so people can read it as well.  Basically, a person is thinking that the old Kitchen Aids manufactured by Hobart worked better than the new ones.  KAidVerne responds as follows:

"Certainly there is a different SOUND with the 5qt Hobart machines, and they are extremely durable (I'm talking about the Hobart N-50 that is the son of our original Model G). However, our engineering tests actually show the Hobart to be UNDERPOWERED at the lower speeds compared to the KitchenAid mixers. While you may "hear" a difference in sound, that does not translate to a "functional" difference or superiority."

In all seriousness there is some good information on that forum.  Interesting tidbit, from what I could understand there is an improved pro 600 coming out.  "the Pro 600 mixer will be made with an improved metal transmission cover".  How much this will help I don't know.

On another note, Randy have your hand kneaded your recipe?  Just curious to see how you thought hand kneading results compared to machine kneaded.

Danes Dad

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
No I have not worked on a hand kneaded version.

pizzapan