Author Topic: Comstock Castle P031 gas counter top oven?  (Read 802 times)

Offline stegosaurus!

Comstock Castle P031 gas counter top oven?
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Does anyone know if these are any good for NY style? The temp is 650 and 30,000 BTUs. Seems okay, but there is only one burner and three decks. I think. I'm looking for a small oven for a pizza truck if it's possible. Fitting a full size deck oven will be tough. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:31:59 PM by stegosaurus! »
"I don't tell you how to surf, farm, make movies, or anything else that California is famous for. Don't tell us what is and isn't in our pizza." - Scott123

Offline stegosaurus!

Re: Comstock Castle P031 gas counter top oven?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
Anyone? Would replacing the stones inside with 1/2 steel help. Or should I go in a different direction. Where Scott123? Ha.
"I don't tell you how to surf, farm, make movies, or anything else that California is famous for. Don't tell us what is and isn't in our pizza." - Scott123

scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
 ;D

Marsal MB (the measuring stick for NY style pizza ovens) = 55 btu per square inch
Comstock P031 = 22 btu per square inch

If you were handy and could block off the upper chamber, insulate it and create a new vent that bypasses it, which, in turn, would make it a single chamber oven, that would give you 44 btu per square inch.  Not ideal, but better than 22.  22 isn't a pizza oven, but, rather a bread oven, or a pizza warming oven.

Right now, if you're willing to pay top dollar ($3K+), there are a couple of NY style viable electric countertops, but, nothing on the gas side in a countertop.

You'd take a hit in quality (and authenticity) with the smaller pizza sizes, but 2 Blackstones might work.

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »
Thanks. I'm not willing to sacrifice. I'll find the space for a full size deck oven. Thanks. They're so heavy! Ha.

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
Scott, would it be possible to add a couple burners (one at the very top and one below the top stone) so each stone could have top and bottom heat? Kind of like a that 10 stone, but in a pre made oven? Am I just crazy?

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
;D

Marsal MB (the measuring stick for NY style pizza ovens) = 55 btu per square inch
Comstock P031 = 22 btu per square inch

I get 5.36 sq ft for this oven, and at 30,000 BTU it works out to 39 BTU/sq in.....unless I'm missing something.