Author Topic: New NY Style Recipe  (Read 2289 times)

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
New NY Style Recipe
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »
Recipe I used is here: world pizza champions

I didn't use the PZ-44 dough conditioner. I used KASL flour, and after mixing and balling the dough, I let it sit out for about an hour covered.  Then I put it in the fridge overnight for a slow rise.  I then baked it at 550 on some unglazed quarry tiles.  Seriously, this is the last dough I'll make because I think its simple and results in a perfect NY style crust.  A new website, www.worldpizzachampions, has tons of professional how to videos available.  I bought this one, and after seeing a professional stretch and toss a dough, was a big help for me in making a nice round pizza with a perfect NY style lip.  The recipe directions are very good, and produced a great product. If you want, they have step by step directions at that link. Here are pictures of my finished product.

I used Furmano's crushed canned tomatoes. I didn't do anything to them. I took them out of the can and put them right on the dough.  The thin sauce cooked in the oven, and developed an amazingly fresh flavor.  Again, I'll never used canned 'sauce' again. :-)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 02:22:37 PM by ghost »

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New NY Style Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
Color me skeptical, but 2 1/2 tsp. IDY to 1 lb. flour is about twice what the recipes here in the forum are using, and the salt level is elevated as well. Maybe it's just the pictures, but I don't see evidence of much oven spring or the voids that I associate with typical NY-style crust.

I'm sure the recipe makes an acceptable crust, and if it floats your boat, great; but take a look at what some of the folks like Pete-zza, pftaylor, candave, and varasano, are coming up with before you decide to stick with that formulation. (See posts #310 and 311 in this thread, posts #33-34 here, or post #239 here, for example.) I think you'll find you can do a LOT better results with some of the recipes here on the site.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:33:01 PM by gottabedapan »

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
I did try them. I like this one more.  You should see some of my older threads and pictures of pizzas I posted before you joined.  I know the salt and yeast is a bit higher than normal, but it did not affect the flavor, so no harm done!

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »
Hey Ghost,

I think you will see if you keep going with this that the texture of the crust will be much better if you make a dough that is wetter, rises slower, rises less and has less yeast.  Also the flavor will shift dramatically if you switch to a more natural starter than IDY.  If you click the globe under my name you can see some photos and lot of instructions.  The recipes over at the world championship are great for making dough that can be tossed around, but if you go to the elite NYC places you will see that they don't really do that, as that's more about show than taste.  While the championship looks like a lot of fun, of the top 50 pizza places that people brag about on this site - from NY, New Haven, Naples Italy, etc, probably there are zero represented at the championship. 

Good luck,

Jeff

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:35:23 PM »
Hey Ghost,

I think you will see if you keep going with this that the texture of the crust will be much better if you make a dough that is wetter, rises slower, rises less and has less yeast.  Also the flavor will shift dramatically if you switch to a more natural starter than IDY.  If you click the globe under my name you can see some photos and lot of instructions.  The recipes over at the world championship are great for making dough that can be tossed around, but if you go to the elite NYC places you will see that they don't really do that, as that's more about show than taste.  While the championship looks like a lot of fun, of the top 50 pizza places that people brag about on this site - from NY, New Haven, Naples Italy, etc, probably there are zero represented at the championship. 

Good luck,

Jeff

I totally agree with you... my normal formulation is:

100.00%   Flour
1.75%   Salt
1.00%   Oil
0.21%   IDY
63.16%   water

With a long slow rise in the fridge.  Very similar to Reinhart or Lehmann... I've talked with them both personally about different formulations.

And while othe recipes do yield a more tender crust. But thats not what I want.  When some people think of NY pizza they think of Lombardi's or John's or Totonos, thats not what I'm looking for.  I'm not even looking for Ray's.  What I'm looking to duplicate is some small dingy dirty pizza place 4 blocks outside Times Square that has had pizza sitting on the counter since early morning, and then just reheats a slice when you order it.  I realized long ago, that this place is not using Grande cheese, nor is it using san marzano tomatoes.  They are making it quick, easy, and cheap.  The dough is probably made the morning of the day it's going to be sold.  That's what I'm after. I have tons of recipes I've used for making Neapolitian or more artisinal pizzas, but I'm looking to duplicate the 2 dollar slice lunch special you'd find from any shady pizza place in NY city. I want big floppy, fold over slices, that are very thin about 1/8".  I think this gives that.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
Gotcha.  I have a few old places that are not very 'good' but that I wish I could bite into sometimes.  Especially this sicilian slice from this dive in Pelham Manor NY.  Oh well.  Can't do it all.

Jeff

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
Gotcha.  I have a few old places that are not very 'good' but that I wish I could bite into sometimes.  Especially this sicilian slice from this dive in Pelham Manor NY.  Oh well.  Can't do it all.

Jeff

I hear ya.  There are two places in Philly I'd love to be able to duplicate.  Santucci's square pizza, its not sicillian, its like a pan fried thin crust deal thats made with mozz on the dough and then sauce on top.  And a place on South St. called Lorenzo's which has cheap 2 dollar slices from a nearly 28 inch pie.  The places is the most disgusting building in the city, but they have the most amazing pizza I've ever tasted. I don't know what their secrets are, but I know its not high quality ingredients... :-)

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:59:10 PM »
I did try them. I like this one more.

As I said, if that's what floats your boat, great. Personally, I have no use for "lunch counter" pizza; if I'm going to spend my time, energy, and money making a pie, I want something better than ordinary.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »
What ghost says is consistent with what he has said in the past about what he is looking for in the way of a NY style pizza. In fact, in one post, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2329.msg20357.html#msg20357, he even asked what might be done to make a NY style crust chewier without changing the pie thickness or size. He is not after a light billowy crust or rim. He favors a small, flat rim. My recollection is also that he likes to knead the dough for a long time at relatively high machine speeds, which is also contrary to what one would do to make a more typical NY (or other) style pizza. I'm glad that he has found the dough recipe he has been looking for.

Peter

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 08:25:12 PM »
As I'd imagine most people do around here, I watch several completely unrelated message boards.  One is football related, computer related, dog related, radio related, etc...  This board clearly has the coolest and most helpful posters I've encountered on the internet.