Author Topic: Coal Oven Questions  (Read 570 times)

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
Coal Oven Questions
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:31 AM »
Hi there - I'm looking to possibly open a coal oven pizza shop here in southern China.  I haven't seen anything like this here yet.

I'm curious as to what kind of company you think is best to build something like the attached oven, from scratch.  Since it doesn't exist in the market here I don't know that there are any available, or any companies with this type of experience.

I'm also wondering how much space I should be prepared for this to take up in a shop?  It would need to be fairly big like the one in the attached picture for a high volume business.

If the attached picture isn't clear, I'm thinking of something similar to Blaze, Pizzarev, and all those other DIY style shops.

Thank you!

Offline shuboyje

Re: Coal Oven Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
I would personally never pay anyone to build an oven modeled off of that one based on the couple of them I have seen in operation.  If I was opening a coal oven pizzeria I would personally model the oven off the old Universal coal ovens that operate with the door closed.  I doubt there is anyone in China with the ability to build you one.  You are going to need a mason who does quality work and is open to being told how to do their work, and an oven consultant to tell you how to build it.
-Jeff

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
Something like this maybe?

http://www.earthstoneovens.com/oven_160-PACB.shtml

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
Get someone who knows what they are doing to design an build it if you don't want or can't get a prefab. It's not like a wood oven. You don't have much of a margin of error in the design of a coal oven. Oven management is also not like a wood oven either. You really need to learn from someone who knows how to run a coal oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
The oven in the picture is extremely similar, if not identical to what PizzaRev uses.  They do NOT use coal.  It's just a gas oven and they bake at 500 degrees. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »
The oven in the picture is extremely similar, if not identical to what PizzaRev uses.  They do NOT use coal.  It's just a gas oven and they bake at 500 degrees.

That is not a coal oven. It's a WoodStone gas oven (interestingly, the flames you see in the back of the oven are decorative option and not part of the oven heat per-se). WoodStone does makes coal-fired versions of their larger overs, such as that one.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
The oven pictured is a woodstone fire deck.  They make them in wood fired, gas fired, coal fired and in just about any combination someone will pay their ridiculous prices for including underfloor radiant assist.  There are two local pizzerias that run coal in them.  One that does New Haven style at 565F with coal only, and one that does a sorta New York style at about 500 with a gas assist oven that in actuality is a gas oven with a barely burning pile of coal on the other side so they can call if coal oven pizza.

Call me a prude, but I strongly believe any oven made to bake pizza in 3 minutes plus should operate with a closed door like the old Universal Ovens.  Not only is it more thermally efficient, it allows the flue to pressurize the oven chamber and thus eliminates the need for an induction fan to supply air to the coal grate.
-Jeff