Author Topic: Coal fired MUST be neopolitan?  (Read 688 times)

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
Coal fired MUST be neopolitan?
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
Just curious if coal fired pizza MUST be neopolitan?..I haven't seen any others besides this. 

Also curious if it's possible to do delivery coal fired pizza?  I heard the crust gets gummy after being out of the oven for a few minutes.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Coal fired MUST be neopolitan?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
Just curious if coal fired pizza MUST be neopolitan?..I haven't seen any others besides this. 

Also curious if it's possible to do delivery coal fired pizza?  I heard the crust gets gummy after being out of the oven for a few minutes.

Billy:  I guess you can claim to do anything in any sort of oven with todays technologies but for sure you can make a NY style pie in a coal oven.  That is where they stared out.  My cousins family started with coal ovens in the 30's in NJ in a bakery/pizza setting. According to her most every shop went to gas deck ovens when they became available.  It is a lot less hassle to run so it caught on.  You can buy pizza bags that are insulated, heated, have a heated stone in them, to keep pies warm for delivery.  Ideally all pizzas IMO should be eaten fresh out of the oven but most people have no problem with boxed/delivered warm.  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »

I think I've only seen one coal fired Neapolitan, and it wasn't very good. Every great coal fired pie I've eaten is NY or neo-NY.

Coal is just a fuel source, how well it performs in a delivery situation is a function of everything but the coal. That being said, in general, lower temp styles may be better suited for delivery.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:24 PM »
Coal-fired pizzas are often referred to as "Neo-Neapolitan", the earliest form of NY pizza.  Although I've heard claims that the ovens run at 1200 degrees, in reality they bake at around 700 degrees.  I was told that by three different pizza makers at three different Grimaldi's locations (Newark, Las Vegas and Los Angeles).

That coal char/soot combined with salty proteins makes for a great pizza (almost steak-like), but I've had pizza that was at least as good from a deck oven (especially with a sourdough starter) and even better pizza from a wood fired oven.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »
NOOO not the coal thing ! still struggling with this style and have never seen a Neapolitan pizza from a coal oven
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline misterschu

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Frank Pepe's calls itself Pizza Napoletana, but they do not make pizza in the style of Naples. They make New Haven pies.

Patsy's in Harlem, John's on Bleecker, Juliana's all make old world NY style pies in coal-fired ovens. 

Coal can cook at a high heat, which is a requirement for neapolitan, but I've never seen a coal-fired pie that was truly neapolitan, a la pizza in naples, or even like motorino, keste etc.

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
In Germany you find a lot of Pizzerias cooking with WFO(not coal). And the most of them bake at 300-350degree..
Crust doenst get "gummy" that fast.
That way it can be delivered....
But it tasts nothing near a neapolitan Pizza

pizzapan