Author Topic: My latest on aluminum  (Read 561 times)

Offline Seven

My latest on aluminum
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Made a couple pizzas on my aluminum plate today. Dough was cold fermented for 36 hours with an additional 2 at room temp before baking. 500 degree convection, 4 minute bake with the final 2 under the electric broiler. Had some launching issues on the pepperoni pie and lost a few slices so I added a few post bake. I didn't open the balls up enough so the pizzas are a bit thicker than intended. Good oven spring, very soft and tender crumb with a slight eggshell exterior.  Very tasty, probably my favorite dough to date.

Flour 100%
Water 63%
Salt 2%
Oil 2%
Sugar 1.7%
IDY 0.5%

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
Re: My latest on aluminum
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:08 AM »
Hi
Are you saying that aluminium checker plate (8mm ~ 1/3") would be okay to use as a platform to make your pizzas on?  I thought aluminium gives off undesirable gases when heated?  Can someone please clarify for me as I have a 2m x 0.5m aluminium checker plate piece that is 8mm thick.  I will cut it up if itt proves okay.

By the way, nice looking crumb you have there ;-)

Cheers,
Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
no harm can be done by cooking a pizza on aluminum.

Offline Seven

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Nearly all restaurants cook on and in aluminum cookware. It's light,  inexpensive and transfers heat efficiently.  Acidic foods can react with aluminum but a barrier can be built up with use and seasoning. My plate is 630616 aluminum and I seasoned with thin coats of oil in a hot oven before use.

Regarding your checker plate, it may be worth a try but the pattern may lead to splotchey bottoms.