Author Topic: First attempt at Sicilian style  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Gags

First attempt at Sicilian style
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
Hi All,

Not sure if they're Sicilian or just pan pizza, but figured I'd change it up and try.
I used my new Detroit pan and found another pan in the kitchen.

These were done with Bonci's white dough recipe from his book.
I got in a time crunch and this dough proofed in the fridge for 48 hours.
I was afraid the yeast would be exhausted by this point, but it was still fine.

Each pie was made with a 300g portion of dough.
I par-baked for 5 mins after brushing the crust with olive oil and laying down a very thin sauce area.
Upon dressing with sauce, sliced garlic, oregano, basil strips, Italian sausage, parmesan, and mozzarella, I brushed the crust one more time.
Into the 450F oven for about 25 mins....

The crust had a nice brown / gold color and nice crunch.
The inner dough was soft with a nice, medium crumb.
The bits of carmelized cheese at the edge were tasty!
Unfortunately, the cheese for the smaller one was a bit too cold and didn't melt as well.
Sorry I didn't get more pics...had to take them over to a football party where they disappeared!

I think I want to try adding some wheat flour and rye flour next, just to mix it up some more.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:59:58 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: First attempt at Sicilian style
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:12 AM »
Hi Gags, you inspired me to try my hand at a Sicilian pie (after a 37 year break). I made too much dough last weekend so tried one last night with some of the extra. 320gr ball, proofed it covered for about a hour in a warm oven, 7 min pre bake with some sauce then topped and back in at 450 (in a toaster oven) for 20 min.   It was OK and fun to try....

Offline Gags

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »
Awesome!!  Yah, definitely fun to change up styles every so often.

That looks good!!  Especially for a toaster oven!! Well done!!

Looking at another thread recently reminded me that the Sicilian slices I remember had cheese all the way to the edge - no cornicione.
Next time I try one, I'm going to do that to see how closely I can replicate the NY street slice standard.
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »
I had two more doughs to use so I decided to do it again tonight. Tried two different pans, one was thin, the other was a heavy Scan Pan. The heavy scan pan worked a little better but they both turned out great. I was using the recipe from a post CB made using a pre-ferment (poolish)

I made a pizza with this dough the same day, one the next day and then these Sicilians on day 3 and 4 -- all where pretty good.

Tried edge to edge cheese on these - it worked great. BTW, I also got interested in Sicilian due to some nice looking pies needssalt made but in a recent post he said his pants were getting tight so I did not what to add to his worries... anyway pics attached.

Offline brost1973

• I Love Pizza!
    • The Best Toaster Oven Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
I had two more doughs to use so I decided to do it again tonight. Tried two different pans, one was thin, the other was a heavy Scan Pan. The heavy scan pan worked a little better but they both turned out great. I was using the recipe from a post CB made using a pre-ferment (poolish)

I made a pizza with this dough the same day, one the next day and then these Sicilians on day 3 and 4 -- all where pretty good.

Tried edge to edge cheese on these - it worked great. BTW, I also got interested in Sicilian due to some nice looking pies needssalt made but in a recent post he said his pants were getting tight so I did not what to add to his worries... anyway pics attached.

It's cool norcoscia! I've tried several times to cook a pizza in my toaster oven. But all came out bad results. They were not crispy. I guess it must be the problem of the pan. So I tried to do some research on the pizza stone. Unfortunately, there are very few pizza stones that fit for the toaster oven. I learned you tried different pans. Do you have any recommendations on the pans or pizza stones? Thanks!

pizzapan