Author Topic: Crumbelievable  (Read 3727 times)

Offline wahoo88

Re: Crumbelievable
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
Have you eaten one of Johnny's pies Dan?

I have not.  However, just as I feel confident that TXCraig's pizzas taste pretty darn good, I think I could take a guess at how Johnny's pies would be.  In my opinion, pizza is one of the few foods where one can get a rather good idea of what it is going to taste like just by looking at pictures.  Of course, people could add hot sauce to their tomatoes or leave salt out of their dough without my knowing...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
I have not.  However, just as I feel confident that TXCraig's pizzas taste pretty darn good, I think I could take a guess at how Johnny's pies would be.  In my opinion, pizza is one of the few foods where one can get a rather good idea of what it is going to taste like just by looking at pictures.  Of course, people could add hot sauce to their tomatoes or leave salt out of their dough without my knowing...
I hear you. I was just curious about your use of the word "quality" as it is my understanding that di Fara uses extremely top shelf ingredients.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Grodyjodi

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
If anyone wants to meet at Lo Duca's, I have to go on the early side, plan to arrive by 1 for house pizza, and then order Johnny's slices at 1:30ish, which is when they are listed as available.
Jodi

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »
I hear you. I was just curious about your use of the word "quality" as it is my understanding that di Fara uses extremely top shelf ingredients.

Yeah, I've heard that as well.  But I'd rather have a good, long fermented dough made than imported Parmigiano-Reggiano that costs $50/lb.  I get the impression that his use of top-notch ingredients is the only thing holding his pizza up from being terrible.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »
I have not had the opportunity to try John's pies, but I was lucky enough to meet him a couple years ago, and I was very impressed with both his knowledge and passion.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
I have not had the opportunity to try John's pies, but I was lucky enough to meet him a couple years ago, and I was very impressed with both his knowledge and passion.

+1
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:14 AM »
Let's see some pics later today!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline JBailey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
Looking forward to seeing pizza pics from this event!
https://twitter.com/DPCornerblog/status/421722690480013312/photo/1

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Some photos on Instagram from Paulie Gee.

http://instagram.com/p/jAPq0Glu-8/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Another larger photo from Paulie Gee.

http://instagram.com/p/jAOfpFlu9T/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
John had a couple technical issues with his fermentation regime (that I'm sure he'll iron out by the time he pops up again), but overall, it was an epic event. The potato pie he served was not quite the pillowy crumbed potato pie of the previous photos, but, it was definitely enough of the way there to give me a really good sense of how amazing this pizza will be.  The last time I was at pizza hut was when I was in college, and aspects- good aspects, of John's pie brought me back. It's today different, totally John (in the best possible way), and destined for greatness.

I'm really hideous with names, but it was fantastic seeing old friends- and making new ones. Paulie Gee took some time away from hobnobbing with celebrities and graced us with his presence :)  I totally forgot to ask for an autograph. Next time  ;D

I arrived at 1:45, so I unfortunately missed seeing Jodi.  I also get the feeling another PMer might have showed up after John had left (4:30ish), but I wasn't absolutely sure, so I didn't introduce myself. Overall, it was a great group of people from a myriad number of areas- food bloggers, long time Lo Duca patrons, friends of John's, friends of friends. This was my first time at an event that wasn't pretty much all Slicers or all PMers- and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Congratulations, John, on your first successful pop up.  If the pizza was this good, with technical issues, then, once the kinks are hammered out, this is going to be truly magnificent. I cannot wait to taste the next go around.

Offline Grodyjodi

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
Scott,
You didn't miss me, I was in such a hurry and arrived later than expected so I just ordered lots of pizza, ate and then had to hightail it to the bus to get home for an appointment.
I could tell who the PMers were, but everyone was involved in conversations and I was too rushed to feel comfortable intruding just to say "hey there, gotta run" since I hadn't ever met anyone in person.

I enjoyed Johnny's potato pizza, and could see how much better the crust was going to be with a better rise.  It already had a good flavor, texture and feel, but just not the pillowy-er version like you mention we see in the picture starting out this topic.  I really liked the treatment he gave to the bacon on that... Crispy and still tender, but so super thin like it was shaved on a low setting of a mandolin.  I am partial to thick chunks of slab bacon, so his execution of this style was perfect I thought, to make me really like it.  It made sense to "lighten up" the bacon on a starchy slice, and if the technical issues with the rise hadnt occurred i'm sure I would have been even more impressed. 

The pies looked great, even though I didn't see every single one, but my impression  of the first 3 he turned out was that the execution of the bake was pretty perfect not counting the unfortunate rise on the first 2 especially.

The Lo Duca staff were wonderful in regards to service, and I loved their grandma slice... Super crispy but delicate bottom crust.

Johnny, I hope to eat more evolutions of your pizza!!
Jodi

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
Jodi: Were you at the table nearest the window on the left side of the pizzeria? With a friend? I got the feeling that that table was there for Johnny's Place. You should have introduced yourself. Nobody at any of the tables bites — well, at least not anything other than pizza.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline Grodyjodi

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
Hi Adam,
No, I was by myself in the blue plaid raincoat on the opposite wall from the table you mention... near the UPS guys if you noticed them.  Promise I didn't fear biting, just felt rushed and was behind schedule, and did fear getting lost in super interesting conversation when I was already making a friend wait for me to eat 4 slices and for Johnny's potato pie to come out!  :)

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
@Jodi: AHHHH. Yes. OK. I did see you and the UPS guys. Next time Johnny does Johnny's Place, hopefully we can all meet.

You're right ... I think you may have gotten sucked into a crazy pizza conversation had you joined. Chars!
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
So post mortem on my pizza on this day: mostly chewy, unleavened bar pies -- pretty tastily topped by most accounts. I was only able to turn out one pie that was I felt was respectable and thankfully Adam, Scott and Paulie had a chance to enjoy it.

Through and unfortunate series of "innocent" compromises and miscommunications my dough wasn't at all ready.

Safeguards are already in place to ensure consistent dough performance moving forward.

I appreciate all the support more than I can say.

Great to meet you Jodi. Thanks for coming out.

Thanks so much to Sal and the Lo Ducas' for being such awesome hosts.

JW
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:29:22 PM by johnnydoubleu »

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 02:24:20 AM »
BOOM! Now that is a Sicilian.