Author Topic: Pillsbury So-Strong Flour  (Read 947 times)

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
Pillsbury So-Strong Flour
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
I've been looking for a couple of the flour types listed on this thread and cannot seem to find some of them in my area...however, I am able to get this Pillsbury So-Strong flour>> http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/so-strong-flour-bleached-bromated-enriched-malted-50-lb/133878000?mct=Flour&ct=high-gluten&typ=Type

I plan on making NY thin crust as well as sicilian... is this a good pick? a few people recommended Best Bakers...but its not available to me... but I can get this locally for $20 a 50lb bag. I currently have the caputo 00 and getting ok results but just looking to improve.
Thanks

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pillsbury So-Strong Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
I used to use HG flour and then we broke up for some Best Bakers Patent Flour.  It is much better for NY style, Sicilian and bread than HG flour.  I'd say skip the HG and see if you can find a flour similar in protein % to Best Bakers which is 12.9%.  I get mine at a local cash and carry.  I do not have experience with the flour you mentioned.  Do you live near a Restaurant Depot, Joe?  There is most definitely a similar flour there that you can get.  Maybe another forum member can recommend something to you.
Mary Ann

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
My wife's family used to use So Strong in their pizza shop and a friend of mine currently uses it in his shop. I've used it at home and thought it was comparable to All Trumps but possibly a little less sweet.

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I called the supplier back and spoke to someone else, they do have All Trump too but not sure if there is a specific type to look for, they also sell the Pillsbury best but they aren't sure if it is type that is recommended here without actually going there and looking at the bag.
Unfortunately I don't live near a restaurant depot but we have Ace Endico which is a wholesale Supplier that sells to the public. They do have a lot of flours to choose from, others include bay state, heckers, all trump, etc. just have to figure out which one will suit my needs

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
Take a read through this thread.  Hope it helps you.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28777.msg293315.html#msg293315

You'll want to find something that's bleached and bromated.  Bromate really helps to achieve some great oven spring and the dough handling will improve as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:18:30 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
I ended up getting the pillsbury best > http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/pillsburys-best-flour-bleached-bromated-enriched-malted-50-lb/133294000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category

It seems to be the same as the best bakers you are using Mary Ann... I cant tell the difference from these specs... can you? Anyway...im trying a quick batch tonight just because I am anxious to try it ...I will make a batch tomorrow for the weekend though lol...

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
I cannot tell the difference from the website.  I don't think you'll be disappointed, Joe.  Let us know how you like it  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
So I tried the flour last night using a 65% hydration and did get ok results, I only made enough for a 14 inch pie, using the dough calculator I was able to make a 12 oz. ball... it took about 6 minutes @ 550 degrees on a stone. but by the time it browned up the cheese looked a little "over melted". So I'm thinking maybe too much moisture? a little less hydration next time? the crust was good though, had good texture and the flavor was there. although it was a quick rise. I will either make my dough tonight or tomorrow night for Saturday... should add a little more flavor Im thinking.

What percentages have you been using with this type of flour?
thanks
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:47:37 AM by Pastaking »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
I typically use between 62 and 63% hydration.  Just keep experimenting with your formula and take notes.  You'll get there  ;)

6 minutes was my normal bake time at 550 using the stone.  It is about 4 minutes using the steel.
Mary Ann

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
I cannot tell the difference from the website.
Mary Ann,

There are actually two differences. The Pillsbury Best flour includes both potassium and phosphorous whereas the Best bakers Patent flour does not. I have seen that distinction before at the GM website but never thought to ask why.

Peter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
Peter,

How would those ingredients affect the performance/behavior of the dough/pizza?
Mary Ann

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Peter,

How would those ingredients affect the performance/behavior of the dough/pizza?
Mary Ann,

From an operational and functional standpoint it is hard to imagine that those two nutrients would have an effect. Phosphorous is a nutrient that helps make stronger bones and teeth, and potassium is often used to offset sodium but I don't know if that is why both nutrients are added to the flour, if that is how it is done.

Peter

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
Hey thanks for your input Pete... yeah I didnt notice those ingredients in there either, I was too focused on the protien level and whether it was bromated or not... I think this flour should be nice to work with, seems to be better than the king arthur bread flour you get at the supermarket in many respects.
I will post some pics up after I cook a batch with it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:58:50 PM by Pastaking »

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
So I tried out the new pizza flour the, (Pillsbury bleached and bromated) and I am amazed at the difference, you couldn't buy a better slice of pizza within a 20 mile radius of my house. The crust came out beautiful while the edges were crispy and fatt the center was thin with the perfect texture of a ny style slice. I was so excited to try it I forgot to take a picture when they came out of the oven. I took these shots the next day... Heated them in the toaster oven and they were still very good!
A big thanks to Mary Ann and Scott123 for the recipe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:52:12 PM by Pastaking »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »
Well done, Joe  :drool:
Mary Ann