Author Topic: Stainless steel or masonry?  (Read 516 times)

Offline dart

• I Love Pizza!
Stainless steel or masonry?
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi All,

I've been lovingly looking at WFO's for a while now. I had pretty much made up my mind to by a masonry (traditional) type oven, until I saw the Fornetto Margherita. I am now leaning towards the fornetto, purely on heating times, as it seems I'd get a lot more use out of it if I didn't need to spend hours getting the oven to working temperature. Unfortunately the $3500 price (here in Aus) is a big set back. I would love some advise/feedback on what the general consensus is for Masonry against Stainless steel and if the fornetto actually performs as well as a brick/concrete oven.

Thanks in advance.

Dart

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Stainless steel or masonry?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
Don't know about that oven, but you could build a WFO yourself for 1/3 of that price..... just sayin.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline dart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Yeah, had the same thought myself. It's just the heating time, I don't plan that far ahead... So, the idea of an oven that's ready to cook in about 15 min. appeals. It seems that I would use it a lot more. Just don't want to spend that sort of dough (no pun intended...) and find it is not as good! The weight is also good. 105 KG's which means I can bring it home and sit it straight on my timber deck...

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
Yeah, had the same thought myself. It's just the heating time, I don't plan that far ahead... So, the idea of an oven that's ready to cook in about 15 min. appeals. It seems that I would use it a lot more. Just don't want to spend that sort of dough (no pun intended...) and find it is not as good! The weight is also good. 105 KG's which means I can bring it home and sit it straight on my timber deck...

It seems like you have your answer then. 

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline dart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »
Thanks Stonecutter.

Yeah, guess so... I was just hoping for a bit of feedback from someone who had used it. As I've never had one, I'm not up with all the finer points of operating a WFO. It seemed like a good option. I was also looking at the indirect fire ones (Think that's what they are called?) And they didn't seem to get as hot or cook as well...

I guess another way of putting it is: Will a stainless steel oven do as good a job as a brick/concrete oven?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »
The reality is that cooking good pizza is never going to be fast or spontaneous.  It takes time to make dough and a certain amount of planning so that it will a) be ready when you want it or b)you will want it when it is ready. 

Certainly you will use a 15 minute oven more, but the over riding concern is the performance of the oven after 15 minutes.  I doubt that it approaches a masonry oven, but it may.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
Good...that becomes a matter of preference, and what is better to you, may not be better for me. 

I build and use WFO's, but I have also used commercial deck ovens, and obviously home ovens.   For me, no contest...I like pizza out of a WFO hands down.

The choices unique to you should determine what you buy or build...not what someone else thinks IMO.

Jacob August Riis

Offline dart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think it comes down to the fact that I want a WFO for the taste, but I'm making my decision based on speed and weight... I think I'll stick with masonry and save some dollars in the process.

pizzapan