Author Topic: Crepes made with Ischia starter  (Read 585 times)

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
Crepes made with Ischia starter
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:50 AM »
Hi All,

Today i made crepes using my bulk Ischia culture and boy it tastes good!

Check out the photos and please let me know of any comments.

Regards,

Online TXCraig1

Re: Crepes made with Ischia starter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
That sound like it would taste good. I've never added leavening of any sort to my crepes.
Pizza is not bread.

Online breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
The crépes look good. However what is the point of the starter? It is not a dough that requires any type of levain or yeast.

Did you let it ferment in the fridge? With the eggs and the milk it can't be on the counter top.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »
That sound like it would taste good. I've never added leavening of any sort to my crepes.

Me neither. I am on a quest for the perfect crepe, not to mention I am on the verge of opening a crepe kiosk here in the UAE. I've been experimenting with different flours and crepe mixes from France and England with no perfect results. I started experimenting with SD based crepes once my Ischia starter got activated a while back and to be frank, they make a liquid mass incomparable to flour based one. The reason I guess is because once SD is bubbly flour will be completely dissolved and this will ease blending all the mix together.

Also, one the reasons that this recipe might have worked out is because i am using Caputo 00 flour which i believe withstands high temp before browning and contributes to the overall texture and appearance.

BTW, am an avid watcher of your posts. You're the grandmaster :)

Regards,

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »
The crépes look good. However what is the point of the starter? It is not a dough that requires any type of levain or yeast.

Did you let it ferment in the fridge? With the eggs and the milk it can't be on the counter top.

Its essentially Twofold, taste and texture. My levain is mild and tastes fruity which i believe contributes to the overall flavour. I've been feeding my culture with Caputo 00 since day one and the recipe is 100% Caputo 00 so i believe this gives the crust a good uniform colouring and appearance. I believe using Caputo 00 in crepes is also forgiving, in the sense that it gives me much time top my crepes and not over-burn the crepe.

I have kept some leftover batter in the fridge to test any difference in the outcome. First of all, I haven't seen any difference in the batter, neither thickness nor volume. Second, The smell didn't change and kept its pleasant scent. The only noticeable difference comes when spreading it over the griddle, Least to say, it is not as easy as it was in the beginning. Also there is some texture difference as the browning is more evident as you will see in the pictures below. With regards to taste, there is no noticeable difference.

The crepes cones you see are a Japanese variation with homemade banana ice cream and Nutella.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
Well I don't care one way or the other about what a crepe is supposed to be made with or without --- Unless those crepes somehow taste differently from the exquisitely delicate and uniform way that they look I would say that you've invented something very unique.

Especially with your use of the unmalted Caputo specifically to avoid rapid browning/burning, that is genius!
Who woulda thought!

Is there any sugar in your crepe batter? Probably not, or the Caputo thing would be moot, eh?

If you could PM your recipe I would promise not to divulge it, ever! Since it sounds like you are starting a commercial venture I understand if you are protective of what appears to be a killer recipe!

John K

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
Its essentially Twofold, taste and texture. My levain is mild and tastes fruity which i believe contributes to the overall flavour. I've been feeding my culture with Caputo 00 since day one and the recipe is 100% Caputo 00 so i believe this gives the crust a good uniform colouring and appearance. I believe using Caputo 00 in crepes is also forgiving, in the sense that it gives me much time top my crepes and not over-burn the crepe.

I have kept some leftover batter in the fridge to test any difference in the outcome. First of all, I haven't seen any difference in the batter, neither thickness nor volume. Second, The smell didn't change and kept its pleasant scent. The only noticeable difference comes when spreading it over the griddle, Least to say, it is not as easy as it was in the beginning. Also there is some texture difference as the browning is more evident as you will see in the pictures below. With regards to taste, there is no noticeable difference.

The crepes cones you see are a Japanese variation with homemade banana ice cream and Nutella.

Thank you for the reply. It is very interesting.
I tried it tonight and didn't get much of a difference. Except the crepes with the starter were a little heavier due to the water in it.
Now I don't use caputo and I had just fed the starter this morning.

Typically I get a good browning with a nice bubbly texture if I whisk the batter really well followed by an hour in the fridge. Then whisk it again right before making the crepes.

Anyhow I guess I will have to try again with a more digested starter :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:44:44 PM by breadstoneovens »
WFO cooking is about passion.

pizzapan