Author Topic: Pizza Getting Cold Too Quick!  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Timmy

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Getting Cold Too Quick!
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
Hi Guys,
First time posting, although I have learned a lot from this website that I am successfully running a pizza shop in London, UK.
One feedback I am getting from my customers is that by the time they get home pizza does not stay hot and its about warmish when they eating it. They have also mentioned when they eat from other pizza shops, the pizzas are hotter for longer than our pizzas. Those shops use Gas Ovens.
My question is, If there is anything I can do to improve on pizza staying nice and hot? Or is that something I can't control?Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

We use Electric Fan, Lincoln Impinger Oven. Temperature of pizzas when coming out of the oven is around 90 degrees. Dough is left overnight in the cold room at 2-5 degrees temperature.

Thanking all in advance.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizza Getting Cold Too Quick!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
Hi Guys,
First time posting, although I have learned a lot from this website that I am successfully running a pizza shop in London, UK.
One feedback I am getting from my customers is that by the time they get home pizza does not stay hot and its about warmish when they eating it. They have also mentioned when they eat from other pizza shops, the pizzas are hotter for longer than our pizzas. Those shops use Gas Ovens.
My question is, If there is anything I can do to improve on pizza staying nice and hot? Or is that something I can't control?Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

We use Electric Fan, Lincoln Impinger Oven. Temperature of pizzas when coming out of the oven is around 90 degrees. Dough is left overnight in the cold room at 2-5 degrees temperature.

Thanking all in advance.
Welcome to the forum Timmy!  :chef:

About the competitors staying hotter longer....maybe they are a different type of pizza than yours...thicker, denser, more mass etc..? Maybe you could try a dispenser box of aluminum foil sheets matching the size(s) of your pizza and place one on top of the pie just before closing the box up(shinny side down)?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Timmy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your advice, I am sure that will be it as our pizzas are thiner. But do you think baking temperature and time can have an after effect or thats just purely results in different crust and texture of pizzas.

Many thanks for your time.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your advice, I am sure that will be it as our pizzas are thiner. But do you think baking temperature and time can have an after effect or thats just purely results in different crust and texture of pizzas.

Many thanks for your time.
Not sure what you are saying here...time and temp and denseness of the pie have everything to do with how long it is going to stay hot/warm in a box. Check with your jobber, I don't know what type pizza you're serving but maybe he has a box size(height), materia type, insert, that can give you better results.

Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
What's a jobber, Bobber?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
What's a jobber, Bobber?
Ha! thought I might end up being flushed out about that one Ryan!  :-D

In the auto repair bizz it's the guy you purchase parts/materials from.....what's the name of the pizza box salesman anyway?   ;D

Bobber

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
A pizza coming out of the oven at 90 degrees (F) is already cold.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
"And that's a cold shot baby..."... try measuring in (c) Timmy.    ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
That is still only 194 (F).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Timmy,

As indicated at page 16 of the Pendleton Mills brochure at http://www.pfmills.com/filebin/pdf/technical_informational_booklet_v1-opt.pdf, at the time a pizza comes out of the oven it has a temperature of about 185 degrees F (85 degrees C). In his post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26934.msg272696/topicseen.html#msg272696, Tom Lehmann, who is a pizza expert with the American Institute of Baking (AIB) and very highly regarded in the industry, uses the temperature of the pizza discussed there of 200-210 degrees F (93.3-99.9 degrees C). So, unless one puts a pizza on a heating shelf or uses a heat lamp or something similar while awaiting pickup, it will thereafter be at the mercy of the temperature to which the pizza, in its box, is subjected. And since thermal transfer is from hot to cold, the pizza will immediately start to cool off. How much it will cool off, and all else being equal, will depend on how long it is exposed to the ambient temperature during transport to the customer's home. Since you are in London, where temperatures are around 3-10 degrees C (37.4-50 degrees F) at this time of year, a pizza isn't going to be warm for long. And if your pizza is a thin crust pizza, and especially with a low mass, it will cool off faster than a thick crust pizza.

The problem you have described is a common one--one that plagues just about all pizza operators who offer pizza for delivery or pickup. One pizza operator who posts often at the PMQ Think Tank, which is a forum that is visited mostly by professional pizza operators, has gone so far as to describe the situation as follows: Good luck. Thin, crispy, hot and delivery do not co-exist. (http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14725&hilit=#p90037). And I suspect that the member was talking about using some kind of insulated pizza bag or system to help keep the pizza warm until it reached the customer's destination. You will see further discussion of the type of problem you have raised at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13432&p=82798&hilit=#p82798. And Tom Lehmann weighed in on the subject at the end of his PMQTT post (last two lines) at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10765&hilit#p74544, where he said: Train your customers to put the pizza back into their home oven at 400F for about 5-minutes to recrisp the pizza before serving. I've not seen a box or bag that eliminated the problem yet..

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
Timmy,
where he said: Train your customers to put the pizza back into their home oven at 400F for about 5-minutes to recrisp the pizza before serving. I've not seen a box or bag that eliminated the problem yet..

Peter
I think this is a good idea. Put reheat directions on the box and also some sort of memo/reminder on your menu right where you have "We Deliver" written.
Do most people in your area have home ovens large enough to fit your pizza size?

Bob

pizzapan