Author Topic: Teddy's New York Style - Questions  (Read 1857 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Teddy's New York Style - Questions
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »
Teddy Ballgame,

Did you find it necessary to do stretch and folds before dividing and refrigerating?

Next time, you could reduce the amount of IDY, or use cold water to get the finished dough balls down to a finished dough temperature below 70 degrees F, or some combination of both. Keeping the dough balls in the coldest section of the refrigerator will also help. You might also leave the dough storage container uncovered in the refrigerator for about an hour before putting the lid back on. If the finished dough temperature is too high owning out of the mixer bowl (or after hand working), you can cool off the dough balls even faster by putting them into the freezer for about a half hour before placing into the refrigerator compartment.

There is no harm if the dough balls double or even triple in volume after five days of cold fermentation but you don't want them to overferment.

To give you an idea as to yeast quantity for a five-day dough (with an outside window of almost 8 days), when I came up with my clone of the Papa John's clone dough, which is a roughly 5-8 day dough, I used about 0.16% IDY. PJ is careful to keep their dough cold at all times, from its commissaries to its stores, but without reaching the freezing stage, as some competitors have alleged.

Peter

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »
I typically do not need to stretch and fold before I put it in the fridge, but after you mentioned it, I took the dough back out and did so. It is smoother now and I am satisfied with letting it ride. Until I shape it, I guess I really won't know.

My typical technique has been to use my food processor of late with the metal blade. I add the liquids and about half the flour. Process on pulse for 30 seconds and rest for 20 minutes. Then I pulse in the rest of the flour until it comes together, wait another few minutes and then start pulsing again for 20 seconds.

I am just toying around with hydration and using oil as my last attempt was the best I have ever made (but also the first on the 1/2 inch steel).

~Teddy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
Teddy,

I was thinking that you were using a basic stand mixer or possibly hand kneading. But now that you have reported that you have been using a food processor, that goes a long way toward explaining your results. A food processor as you used it, and especially with the long rest period you used, will produce a dough with the structure and the degree of hydration that you want to achieve. However, the finished dough temperature is likely to approach room temperature after a 20-minute rest period. Whether that is a positive or negative with 0.60% IDY will depend on your room temperature where the dough is made. But pulsing imparts less heat to the dough.

Peter

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Tonight's effort. Dough was more difficult to work with and did not have the chew I was looking for. Still a very good pie.

Hot sopresetta and shaved onions:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:34:36 PM by Teddy Ballgame »

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
Then I can give Ryan some FS flour :)

Teddy:  If you are out Newark way come by our bakery/pizzeria.  I would be happy to give some pointers on ingredients and method for a NY style pie.  I was raised in the NJ/NYC pizza/bakery world and we make my version of a NYC thin crust and a cast iron skillet deep dish pie on request. We guarantee our pies to be as good as anything you can find in Ohio. (you can click below to see a slide show on our operation). we are open during school hours.  No weekends or evenings but will open for pizza makers in the making on the weekends.  Walter

http://youtu.be/mKOQR-RM02U

Hi Walter - there some Jersey folks here, any thought to open your doors on a weekend to for some instruction for us beginner pizza makers?

pete
Pete

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
Hi Pete:  The door is always open.  I have had many people come by to learn about dough in pizza, artisan breads, and bagels.  We are located about 40 miles due east of Columbus Ohio.  I am thinking you are confused?  I am now in Newark Ohio, not Newark, NJ :)  It is a trip because I grew up in Bellville and South Orange, both of which border Newark NJ.  Newark OH is a mellow place and nothing like the NJ version.   Still the invite is there and I have a detached recording studio on our property with a full bed/bath that is available and there are some cheap very nice B&B's around here.  Walter
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:34:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
Shoot, thought it was Newark NJ  :(. Would love to see your operation and get some tips. Unfortunately Ohio is a bit of a trip. 

Pete
Pete

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Ryan:  Yes it was a fun time.  I will let you know next time I hit RD.  I went by a bit back on a last minute urge and didn't have your number with me.  I filled the van with FS, 711, and the whole wheat flour we use for dog biscuits so I am not sure when I will be heading out there again. I was worried the tires would blow out on the way home :-D  Walter

Teddy:  I look forward to meeting you.

Hey Walter, let me know if you're planning to come to Columbus/RD anytime soon. I'm just about ready to buy a bag of Full Strength. (I'm sure RDP carries it, but it would be so much more fun to go shopping with you again.)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
Hey Walter, let me know if you're planning to come to Columbus/RD anytime soon. I'm just about ready to buy a bag of Full Strength. (I'm sure RDP carries it, but it would be so much more fun to go shopping with you again.)

Hi Ryan:  My RD depot days may be numbered.  I am in the process of working with SOFO foods.  They carry everything I get from RD that GFS doesn't carry.  They deliver to Newark 2-3 days a week.  I meet with the rep this week.  I figured on a full van load I am lifting 4,000 odd pounds with getting it off the shelf at RD, into the van, out of the van, and into our pantry. Plus it is a 90 mile r/t and it eats up my Saturday- getting too old for this stuff........  If I do go to RD I will surely let you know.  Walter
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:24:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
I hear ya, man.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
SOFO is out of Toledo, right?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 05:58:56 AM »
SOFO is out of Toledo, right?

Yes I think that is true.  I found out about them from the owner of Mazzi's pizza in Marion.  The hardest part of the process will be the mountainous amount of paperwork/hoops to clear with setting it up with the school treasurer.  It may make going to RD seem easy :)  Walter

pizzapan