Here is the formula I used today with Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent Flour (Bleached/Bromated/Enriched/Malted)
Flour (100%): 572.35 g | 20.19 oz | 1.26 lbs
Water (63%): 360.58 g | 12.72 oz | 0.79 lbs
Salt (1.75%): 10.02 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.79 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
Oil (2.98%): 17.06 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.79 tsp | 1.26 tbsp
Total (167.73%): 960 g | 33.86 oz | 2.12 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball: 480 g | 16.93 oz | 1.06 lbs
Flour: 57.23 g | 2.02 oz | 0.13 lbs
Water: 57.23 g | 2.02 oz | 0.13 lbs
Total: 114.47 g | 4.04 oz | 0.25 lbs
Flour: 515.11 g | 18.17 oz | 1.14 lbs
Water: 303.34 g | 10.7 oz | 0.67 lbs
Salt: 10.02 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.79 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
Preferment: 114.47 g | 4.04 oz | 0.25 lbs
Oil: 17.06 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.79 tsp | 1.26 tbsp
Total: 960 g | 33.86 oz | 2.12 lbs | TF = N/A
Dissolved salt into filtered water from refrigerator. Then added Ischia and whisked until frothy. Added oil next and then added the flour to the mixing bowl. Mixed with KitchenAid on low speed for 2 minutes using the dough hook. Rested for 5 minutes. Mixed on medium low speed for another 2 minutes. Then hand kneaded for one more minute. Weighed, balled and into round plastic container with lid. Fermented in basement for 17 hours at 60-61 degrees. Reballed dough at 5 hours into fermentation. The dough felt "normal" at this time. Reballed again this morning around 9am because the dough was doubled. Probably mistake 1. Brought the dough up from basement at 10am to rest at RT for 2 hours. I took the balls out of their containers and put them onto floured parchment paper and covered them with plastic wrap. When I touched the dough after about an hour, they seemed just as tough as my last 3 attempts. Full of gas and not willing to be stretched. So rather than trying desperately to stretch just before the bake, I began a slow opening process so as not to tear the dough. Each dough ball ended up being about 490 grams (apparently no bowl residue). Typically, I can stretch a dough ball this size to 17" or more, but a 17" pie is the limit in my oven. I was only able to stretch these dough balls to about 14 inches. I sauced and cheesed them and into the oven they went. Each pie took about 5 1/2 to 6 minutes on my 1/2" steel plates that were preheated for an hour at 550 convection. My typical NY bake times are 4 minutes using IDY. I forgot to oil the rim before the bake.
The first pie had a bit more color than the second, probably because I didn't give the steel enough time to get back up to temp before I baked the second pie. From a texture standpoint, it was great. The cornicione was very puffy, light and tender with an ever so slight crispiness to it. From a taste standpoint, I could not tell the difference between my NY crust using IDY versus using Ischia. There was no sourdough flavor development. From an aesthetic standpoint, the cornicione had little to no color.
There has got to be a way to get good sourdough flavor development, crust color and ease of dough opening from a NY dough using Ischia. As I may have mentioned previously in this thread, I have had no problems opening my NY dough made with IDY using Best Bakers Flour or opening NP dough made with Ischia using Caputo Pizzeria or KAAP flour. Not sure if the culprit here is oil or the bleached/bromated/enriched/malted flour.
Here are a few pictures where you may be able to see the toughness of this dough.