Author Topic: Need help with NY Style dough using Ischia  (Read 1007 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help with NY Style dough using Ischia
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »
I think today was my 3rd attempt with the above formula to which, I made the following changes:

Used 7% Ischia which I calculated based upon my basement temp.
I did 4 stretch and folds at 7 minute intervals after mixing the dough.
Placed into artisan dough tray with lid and put into the basement for 48 hours at 61 degrees.
Let the dough come to room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.

This is what the dough looked like after 48 hours at 61 degrees.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29237.msg300523.html#msg300523

After preheating the steel for just over an hour at 550 convection, the steel was 617 degrees.  Typically, I can get 4 minute bake times on my IDY NY style pies.  But after 5 minutes, the pie still did not have the typical characteristics of my NY pies.  It wasnt done but I took it out anyway.  It's almost as if the Ischia dough is heat resistant.  I shaped/stretched dough the best I could after I degassed it.  Its a little misshapen. 

What I will do for next time is dial back my Ischia to maybe 2% to see if I continue to get huge, blown out, over fermented dough.  At this point, I just want to have a normal fermented dough ball that I won't be apprehensive about stretching because it has so much gas  :-D.  Maybe I'll move up my steel a few notches closer to the broiler to see if I can achieve more cornicione coloring.  I don't want to add sugar yet, to see if I can dial in my starter amount first.  Once I do that, I'll add back the sugar to see if that helps in the coloring department.

Questions for consideration:

Has anyone ever added nonfat dry milk to see if that helps coloring?
Does anyone know if the bleached/bromated flour has a negative effect on my dough?
Is it worth it to continue this experiment or am I just trying to nail Jello to a tree?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:39:33 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

pizzapan