Author Topic: Roma Super Deluxe/Classico/Original??  (Read 869 times)

Offline Hobbs

Roma Super Deluxe/Classico/Original??
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Anybody tried any of these? My local Chefsmart carries the Roma line only (since the fallout with Grande) and I was using the Luigi brand and, at first, loved it but then my family really grew tired of it and begged for the Grande.

But I am curious about the Roma line of cheese because I know for a fact some of the old shops I grew up with in NJ used Roma.

I spoke to the regional sales manager in my area and he couldn't tell me a difference between the SD, Classico and Original.. I found it odd. All he could offer was that most shops order the SD. I am also interested in their Formaggio Premiato line...it's description reads much more like Grande than the alternative they pitch (Bacio).

Bacio has absolutely NO flavor whatsoever. I have no idea why they pitch it as a premium cheese. It melts decently enough...but the pros end there.

I am trying to find an alternative for Grande as it's tough to source in my area...so naturally I have to pay a premium.

Offline Zing

Re: Roma Super Deluxe/Classico/Original??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »
For some time now I been trying to learn who makes the cheese for the foodservice firms out there who don't have a USDA dairy plant number issued in their own name (read: don't own their own cheese plant but resell someone else's cheese). I alluded to some of these  marketing practices in the "Trying this one last time - Where can I find that delicious cheese used in NY?" thread.

This example really has a lot of reach. Chefsmart:
http://www.ifhchefsmart.com/
was started by IFH, the Carolinas broadline food distributor. Performance Food Group bought IFH around 2012. Roma Foods was owned by private equity firms and was merged with Performance Food Group in 2008 when these private equity firms bought Performance Food Group. Confused yet?

After researching Rituals Coffee Company, Roseli Products Company, and Bacio Cheese Company, all shams designed to pull the wool over the eyes of customers of broadline food distributors, my gut feeling is that, like with a lot of the three tiers of quality offered by broadline food service distributors, these are three grades of cheese. They are probably all made by the same well known, large cheese company, or could even be split among several low bidders.

Unfortunately, I do not know who makes the Roma cheeses. A partial list of suspects includes:
1. Lactalis/Sorrento/Galbani/Precious
2. Saputo
3. Land O'Lakes
4. Leprino
5. DFA (Dairy Farmers of America)
6. Davisco
7. Schreiber Foods

Hobbs is right in that broadline food service sales people themselves don't know how these products compare to one another. I guess the bigger customers just shake down the broadline distributors of one of each of these products.

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:44 AM »
Zing,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I too suspected it was rebranding going on. I also suspect that the Roma line of cheese now is more than likely a far cry from what it was 25-30 years ago. The more I sink myself into this rabbit hole, the more I'm coming to grips that there is Grande...and then everything else.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »
Zing,

Does Foremost Farms fit anywhere in your analysis?

http://www.foremostfarms.com/Commercial/Cheese.php

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
Zing,

At one time I used Bella Francesca whole mozzarella in combination with Foremost Farms/1950 part-skim mozzarella.  Do you know anything about Bella Francesca whole milk mozzarella or where it is produced?  I thought the  Bella Francesca whole milk mozzarella was a good mozzarella. 

I also though it is interesting that there are really big blocks of mozzarella from some businesses.  This is one of them.  http://jcaintercorp.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/119224537-0/Mozzarella_Block.html 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Zing

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
Zing,

Does Foremost Farms fit anywhere in your analysis?

http://www.foremostfarms.com/Commercial/Cheese.php

Peter

The hour was late and I listed as many names as I could think of that were confirmed to provide private label product. Sure, Foremost could also be providing cheese to Performance Food Group and other foodservice distributors. PFG sure has a large number of brands they sell cheese under.

Offline Zing

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Zing,

At one time I used Bella Francesca whole mozzarella in combination with Foremost Farms/1950 part-skim mozzarella.  Do you know anything about Bella Francesca whole milk mozzarella or where it is produced?  I thought the  Bella Francesca whole milk mozzarella was a good mozzarella. 

Norma

Bella Francesca, IIRC, is/was distributed by the Sommer Maid folks in Pipersville, PA. That is all I know about that brand.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
Bella Francesca, IIRC, is/was distributed by the Sommer Maid folks in Pipersville, PA. That is all I know about that brand.

Zing,

Do you know what it means when Sommer Maid Creamery says what partners they have, like Saputo and Sorrento? http://www.sommermaid.com/resources.html  Sommer Maid Creamery doesn't list the mozzarella I purchased before.  http://www.sommermaid.com/products_cheese_process.html   

Norma

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
What's weird is on the Roma site, they mention that they have cheese processing plant in Rice, MN, however, any search for "Northland Star", results in the Roma site as the lone result. What's kind of odd to me is that it seems it's only for custom shredded blends, not blocks.

So maybe I'm conflating "processing" and "manufacturing" and the reality is they simply process other manufacturers cheeses.... Either way, why is there such a cheese conspiracy? :)

Offline Zing

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Zing,

Do you know what it means when Sommer Maid Creamery says what partners they have, like Saputo and Sorrento? http://www.sommermaid.com/resources.html  Sommer Maid Creamery doesn't list the mozzarella I purchased before.  http://www.sommermaid.com/products_cheese_process.html   

Norma

This page has their current mozzarella listings:
http://www.sommermaid.com/products_cheese_natural.html

Sommer Maid is now strictly a distributor. That page of links is a foodservice distributor "line card". The listing could mean one of two things: either they distribute branded Saputo and Sorrento cheeses, or that is who makes their private label cheeses. Both these firms put private label names on cheeses before leaving their factory.

Offline Zing

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
What's weird is on the Roma site, they mention that they have cheese processing plant in Rice, MN, however, any search for "Northland Star", results in the Roma site as the lone result. What's kind of odd to me is that it seems it's only for custom shredded blends, not blocks.

So maybe I'm conflating "processing" and "manufacturing" and the reality is they simply process other manufacturers cheeses.... Either way, why is there such a cheese conspiracy? :)

That Rice, MN plant came with Vistar, IIRC. They don't make cheese from raw milk there; they shread other makers cheese there. Some PFG blurbs indicate they will shred the custom cheese blends for restaurant chains, etc. I think they also produce some of the shredded blends sold by Roma and PFG, and may appear at your cash and carry store.

There are lots of "cheese companies" that merely slice and wrap. You will  find Sargento cheese in most supermarkets. Yet they buy other firms cheese and slice/wrap/shred it.

That is the problem I have right now with cloning Shakey's pizza. The stores get a custom blend delivered to them. The employees do not even know what is in it. The mozzarella has a creaminess I have not been able to get in any cheeses available around here. I have to track down whose 100% whole milk mozzarella block cheese they are using.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
This page has their current mozzarella listings:
http://www.sommermaid.com/products_cheese_natural.html

Sommer Maid is now strictly a distributor. That page of links is a foodservice distributor "line card". The listing could mean one of two things: either they distribute branded Saputo and Sorrento cheeses, or that is who makes their private label cheeses. Both these firms put private label names on cheeses before leaving their factory.

Thanks Zing for answering my questions!

Norma

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Yes, thanks Zing!!

Cheesemaking is a racket!!!

I wonder if there is an extreme cornered market in the cheese industry like there is in the agra-industry (or any other for that matter)... Like a "big 3" manufacturers.

So Grande is it's own entity? They don't make cheese to spec for other resellers?

Offline Zing

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
I don't know for sure, but have not heard of Grande doing private label. Grande is not a match for Shakey's cheese, so I haven't followed them.

pizzapan