Author Topic: Yeastier tasting crust?? How do I do it?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Timbonio

• I Love Pizza!
Yeastier tasting crust?? How do I do it?
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
How can I make my homemade pizza dough taste a lot more yeasty tasting?  Tnanks anyone.. :chef:

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Yeastier tasting crust?? How do I do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
Um ... add more yeast?  ::)

Either that, or let it ferment longer.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 01:09:02 PM »
You have to use a natural starter, not baker's yeast. That is, you can't use anything you buy in the supermarket. Search on the site and you will see a lot of talk about natural starters. You can click the globe under my name for some discussion of the topic.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:11:29 PM »
I'm never quite certain what people mean when they describe a crust as being "yeasty" tasting. Like goddabedapan, I tend to think of a "yeasty" tasting crust as coming from using a lot of yeast, and, more particularly, an abundance of fresh yeast. However, some people refer to a crust made from a dough that has a highly alcoholic smell, usually after a spell of many hours at room temperature or several days in the refrigerator, as having a "yeasty" flavor. To me, that is not a "yeasty" tasting crust, but one that comes from the byproducts of fermentation, particularly lactic and acetic acids and related compounds, with the strongest flavors coming from using a natural preferment without any added commercial yeast at all. If I am not mistaken, I believe Marco (pizzanapoletana) also draws a distinction between the two flavors. At least that is how I interpreted his comments from another thread:

It is true that the pizza crust should not taste yeasty. But we also do not like the bread with yeasty flavor. We still prefer natural fermented dough. However this dough have a lactic acid taste (similar to mozzarella cheese) and not acetic acid taste like SF sourdough.

On the pizza side, a good fruity (the wheat taste) and moderately "lactic acid" taste is what we look for in a good pizza crust.

Peter