Author Topic: Cutter Pan Questions  (Read 2908 times)

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
Cutter Pan Questions
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
1. Is there a good subsitute for a cutter pan, something I may hava already?
2. If I get a cutter pan should a get a soilid botton or perforated bottom?

Thanks Agian
Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cutter Pan Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:07:06 PM »
Dave,

If you go to Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.msg778.html, you will see that Steve recommends the regular cutter pan, not a perforated one, for the DKM cracker crust pizza described at that thread. If you decide to get a cutter pan, you may want to consider getting a dark one, such as those sold by pizzatools.com.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »
I use a 16" perforated pan.  Works good.  If money is tight just use a cookie sheet or something similar.  What ever pan try to roil the dough out to about 1/16" thick for DKM's cracker crust.

Randy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
I have never quite figured out the logic of cutter pans except that they can be substituted for screens (along with disks) and that they have a built-in cutting edge that may eliminate another piece of equipment or be more convenient to use. At the FAQ section of its website, pizzatools.com addresses the perforation issue as follows:

Why are some pans perforated?
Perforated pans are designed to cook pizzas quickly, reducing the amount of time spent in the oven. They offer consistent, uniform heat conduction for a thicker crust with a snap to it. Solid pans are perfect for pan pizza crusts that are thick and perhaps slightly buttery.

Under the perforated cutter pan section, it is stated that the perforated cutter pans are for thick crusts, and under the solid cutter pan section, it is stated that the solid cutter pans are designed for medium to thick crusts. I have a solid cutter pan and have been using it mainly for thin crusts. What is surprising is that when I have done Google and PMQ.com searches on cutter pans there doesn't appear to be a lot on the subject. I have found several perforated pizza pans but, as best I can tell, they don't have the built-in cutting edge.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 06:19:16 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:55:07 PM »
Peter , not sure how old you are but I think the perforated pan was originally for home use.  My 16" perforated pan must be close to twenty-five years old.  This is a wild guess on my part for sure.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »
I use both solid & preforated. I've noticed if you put a pie in a keep warm oven a solid pan makes a crispy get soft (not letting out moisture) wheras the preforated pan the crust will stay crisp

Offline chiguy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 12:03:55 AM »
 Hi pizzaeater,
 The type of pan you use has some to do with the recipe, although I use a perforated pan for thin crusts or screens(very cheap). When the dough is rolled out i place the screen right over the rolled dough and use my pizza cutter around the edge of the screen to cut to size.
 When baking a lower hydration thin/cracker crust i find that using screens are helpful to avoid major shrinkage during baking.
                                                                                                                                            Chiguy

Offline MTNpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:54:08 AM »
hey guys, I have a question, for DKM's recipes must you use a cutter pan? or will a screen create the same results?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »
This pizza has no thicker outside edge so a screen you might have stuff run off the edge into the oven.  Could be done but I think you would be missing the nuance of this style of pizza.  Wally world caries pizza pans as well as just about everystore that sells kitchen stuff.  It does not have to be a cutter pan, just a pan with a lip.

pizzapan