Author Topic: Insects as a topping  (Read 1953 times)

Offline kdefay

Re: Insects as a topping
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
Oh nooooo...

He found "A BUG" on his pizza.  He better not come to my place, or he may just with one covered in tasty bugs...

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Ah Badabing Pizza in Tacoma, WA, has many crazy things for pizza toppings, including Grubs, Slugs, Bovine Testicles, and Crickets. However, I have never request any of them on my pizza, though many others have.

TomN

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ah-badabing-pizzaria-lakewood
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:20:17 PM by TomN »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
Kirk,

It looks like you are ahead of the curve where you are in Thailand. I was reading an article at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/news_home/Supplier_Innovations/2014/06/IFT14Bugs_lab_burgers_biotechn.aspx?ID=%7b9DCD2E00-9708-493A-8E0C-CE73791B2226%7d&e=%%emailaddr%% where the matter of how to feed the growing populations worldwide was discussed. This included meat alternatives. And, in that vein, insects as foods was discussed as follows:

Another option may bug some U.S. consumers – crickets and other insects are being used as a protein source in such products as energy bars.

“Exo is an example of a company that is trying to make the practice of eating bugs more Westernized,” Ms. Chapman said.

Brooklyn-based Exo makes protein bars formulated with flour from dried crickets.
(see Exo protein bar photo below)

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »
Cricket flour. What a great idea. And another option for people who think they need high protein to make good pizza.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
Cricket flour for dusting your peel....`makes the pizza seemingly jump right off your peel!! `

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »
Cricket flour for dusting your peel....`makes the pizza seemingly jump right off your peel!! `

CB

:-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Some countries do this out of desperation rather than by choice. Some people do it for the novelty or thrill to say they did it. However, we all eat insects on a regular basis without realizing it. Many insects get into our processed foods. So much, that the FDA has what they consider an "Acceptable level of filth" for different foods that are sold to the public. Personally, I avoid eating insects.

Just for the record: It is estimated that we eat about 10 pounds of dirt in our lifetime.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
Some countries do this out of desperation rather than by choice. Some people do it for the novelty or thrill to say they did it. However, we all eat insects on a regular basis without realizing it. Many insects get into our processed foods. So much, that the FDA has what they consider an "Acceptable level of filth" for different foods that are sold to the public. Personally, I avoid eating insects.

Just for the record: It is estimated that we eat about 10 pounds of dirt in our lifetime.
Tom, how much filth is in beer...no wait, I prolly don`t really want to know.  :-\

CB

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
LOL, not sure

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
Insects are a rather popular snack here in Thailand.  They eat anything from simple grasshoppers to cockroaches, worms, larvae, and scorpions.  I tend to stick with crickets and grasshoppers.  Here's a close-up shot.
If these ingredients ever become popular, it could replace oranges as a FL export.

Kirk, when it comes to grasshoppers, does size matter?  I saw one the other day that was about 3" long and thought about your post.  From a bake perspective, it would be like throwing a few link sausages on a pie.  Maybe if I drizzled a lot of calabrian chili oil and averted my eyes. 

We're hosting a pizza party tonight and I have a pool net... :D

Dave

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
The shells can get pretty hard on the big ones. Definitely pick off their legs at least unless you like eating toothpicks.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
Anybody can do crickets or ant eggs.....

Wonder how bees would be on a pizza, the big ole round black ones with the bright yellow fur....or maybe a couple of those giant hand size African wasps?   :drool:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:59:18 PM by Chicago Bob »

scott123

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
The shells can get pretty hard on the big ones. Definitely pick off their legs at least unless you like eating toothpicks.  :-D

Speaking of picking parts off, while I have no inherent qualm with eating insects (shellfish are basically ocean insects), and can see the multi cultural aspect to it, the manner in which insects are typically consumed, that is, the whole animal- that puts me off a bit. Whatever animal I consume, I really don't want to be eating it's digestive system.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
Speaking of picking parts off, while I have no inherent qualm with eating insects (shellfish are basically ocean insects), and can see the multi cultural aspect to it, the manner in which insects are typically consumed, that is, the whole animal- that puts me off a bit. Whatever animal I consume, I really don't want to be eating it's digestive system.
I hear ya...a constipated cricket might taste quite gross indeed.  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
Spiders is where I draw the line (I know they are not insects). I'd rather eat deep dish than spiders.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:35:29 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
I know this thread is on insects on pizzas, but I saw yesterday they we may be eating insects in our foods in other ways that we might not know about.  It seems like if Carmine is listed in the ingredient list in different foods, we are eating boiled cochineal bugs.  http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20588763_15,00.html and http://www.vegparadise.com/news13.html and http://animalrights.about.com/od/animalrights101/f/Carmine.htm  Carmine can also be called natural coloring on the ingredient list.   :o  I guess I learn new things I did not know all the time.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »
Here they are always deep-fried which makes the hard shells easy to get through.  Across the border in Cambodia, they deep-fry tarantulas.  It's a legacy dish to the days of the Khmer Rouge.  People ate spiders as they needed a source of protein.  Enough people developed a taste for it that it continues now even though they don't need to do it.