Author Topic: Blackstone caught on fire  (Read 2479 times)

Offline pantalones

• my website
Blackstone caught on fire
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to issue a huge warning to all blackstone owners.

Last night my blackstone's regulation assembly (all the mechanical stuff inside that regulates gas flow, plus the external knob assembly) caught on fire internally and melted externally while the unit was in operation. Luckily we were out there when it happened. If I had not been monitoring it things could have gone very badly.

As the unit was heating up I noticed that the flame pattern was coming out from the top right in an odd pattern and heating up the front panel. When we pulled back the flame and turned down the knob, two yellow strands of flame continued shooting up from behind the knob assembly and the knob wouldn't turn properly. It then just locked up entirely and wouldn't budge anymore. The smell of something other than flour burning was evident and we could see smoke coming out of that area as well. We couldn't regulate the gas flow from the unit anymore and had to shut it off at the tank itself.

After letting it cool down for an hour, we went out to inspect. The regulator knob on the Blackstone was now completely frozen in place, so the guts must have melted as well.

I'm contacting Blackstone tomorrow about a warranty return and still will get another this stove is amazing but I wanted to issue a word of warning: do not use this thing unmonitored, not even heating up.

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Blackstone caught on fire
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the post, and glad no one got hurt and nothing on your house caught fire.  If you can post some photos that would be of interest.  I have read a few posts about flames shooting out where the knob is, but nothing like your experience. Is yours the newer model with the 5 psi regulator?

Offline pantalones

• my website
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Two of the photos show the burn marks from the fire coming out of the assembly box, and the other shows what's happening to the top of the blackstone during regular use (which strikes me as not good either, but is a separate issue entirely).

Not sure which regulator I have. I bought it in mid-december from Amazon.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »
Maybe it because you were using gluten-free pizza dough. Ha ha, just kidding! My front panel control knob froze solid last week, but no flames though. I am waiting for a new base using from GriddleGuru. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline communist

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
I am convinced all the Blackstone units have this defect. Two of my units turn into flamethrowers when cranked up.  It is disturbing.  Mark

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:15:37 PM »
Mark,  I have used mine every week since I got it (June or July IIRC) and no flamethrowing so I don't think all of them have that issue.  Clearly there is a  manufacturing quality control  issue here.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:40:02 AM »
This worries me a bit, I hope BS figures it out soon - very dangerous. In my (simple mind) it could be many things....

1. using it with the wind blowing so the flames heat up the box enough to melt something inside and start a leak/fire
2. a leak inside the box that eventually ignites (maybe bad connection or bad valve)
3. something related to the 10 PSI units - over pressure
4. an oven design defect - can't run at high too long
5 hight of the platter and angle of the burner
6 any combination of the above
7 something else

I hope this gets figured out before someone gets their house burnt to the ground....

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
i personally think that we are pushing the limits on this oven. how many back yard pizza makers ever even heard of Neapolitan pizza. i thing that is the reason the regulator has been cut ti a 5 psi.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
I wanted to issue a word of warning: do not use this thing unmonitored, not even heating up.
Good advice.  Glad nothing serious happened and you were able to shut it down.  As Barry posted, this is an issue, but leaks are not present on every oven.  Search the Blackstone thread for "flashback" to read about other reports.  As with any gas leak, the flow volume is less at lower pressure - so a leak on an oven with a 5psi regulator will result in less gas expelled than a leak with a 10 psi regulator.

To minimize the risk, sniff around and under the oven with the tank valve on (i.e. gas in the line, but the oven control valve off, no flame, etc.).  You should be able to smell propane, even small leaks on a calm day.  Also use a spray bottle with soapy water on the gas lines to identify leaks.
Dave

Offline pantalones

• my website
UPDATE Re: Blackstone caught on fire
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
Hi all,

I'm updating the thread for posterity.

Blackstone's support team was very helpful in resolving the issue. They responded within a day of my emailing them and sent me a new base (the main part) of the stove, as well as a new heat shield.  Some useful info from their mail:

I believe there was a leak in the valve. We had an issue with this a few months ago, but we thought we had isolated the problem. We have improved our valves in our ovens to prevent this from happening. We have also moved the motor down a few inches to help the motor last longer.

To lower the motor, they've added another spacer mount (the thing that the motor slides on to) on top of the old one, and included a longer drive shaft.

Another difference between the heat shield I had, and the replacement, is that the new heat shield does not have any paint/coating on the inside, it is just treated metal. So, no paint burning and flaking off.

My old valve was 10 PSI, the new one is 5 PSI. This doesn't seem to affect the stove's ability to reach extremely high heat, just seems to reduce it turning into a massive flamethrower shooting out the front from the moment you turn it on.

Assuming I'm not posting back here in two weeks saying my stove caught on fire again, I'm pretty happy with how they've handled this and still recommend.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
I have held off on buying a BS for just these reasons, it seems to good to be true. I stand by my feelings from a long time ago, only a WFO is a WFO, I don't believe you can make a substitute for it. :-\

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
that's a shame DM, because this unit makes some darn good neapolitan pies.  I debated between a WFO and blackstone before the outdoor kitchen I had built.  I bought the blackstone thinking if it's not that good, I'll give it away and build the 5k+ WFO and call it a day.  Well, these pies are the hit of my in town guests and neighbors.

It's clean burning, and makes no mess. 

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
Just had the same thing happen to me, the first time I turned it on.  I've actually had it a couple of months but been afraid to turn it on. I've been lurking here to make sure it is safe.  I did find it on its side after a windstorm about a week ago, so maybe it got damaged, but the symptoms sound the same:

Flame coming straight up in the front right corner in addition to the burner.

As it ran longer and got hotter, the plastic knob started to smoke and melt and stopped turning.  When I forced it to turn, it spins freely now, I have no control over the flame size.  Had to turn the gas off at the tank.

I have the 10  PSI unit.  I had to turn down the pressure about 3 turns, I found one turn had too much pressure for me.

So I am out $400 unless I can get it repaired, and didn't even get one pizza out of it.

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »
And mine even came with intact stones.  When it fell over, it only  had the top stone in it, and it survived!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
Just had the same thing happen to me, the first time I turned it on.  I've actually had it a couple of months but been afraid to turn it on. I've been lurking here to make sure it is safe.  I did find it on its side after a windstorm about a week ago, so maybe it got damaged, but the symptoms sound the same:

Flame coming straight up in the front right corner in addition to the burner.

As it ran longer and got hotter, the plastic knob started to smoke and melt and stopped turning.  When I forced it to turn, it spins freely now, I have no control over the flame size.  Had to turn the gas off at the tank.

I have the 10  PSI unit.  I had to turn down the pressure about 3 turns, I found one turn had too much pressure for me.

So I am out $400 unless I can get it repaired, and didn't even get one pizza out of it.

You have a one warranty. Call Black Stone. They may send you a whole new body.

Online slybarman

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
This is why I keep a CO2 fire extinguisher nearby each time I fire mine up.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
You have a one warranty. Call Black Stone. They may send you a whole new body.
I agree, Blackstone has a one year warranty, give them a call.  If you are not satisfied, ask for a return.
Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
If you are concerned about how to safely operate this oven I recommend the links below.  This oven, like any gas grill, has inherent risks, but a few precautions will greatly diminish the odds of an issue.

Sniff under the grill for gas odor.  Especially under the flame control knob and under the connection where the hose connects to the grill.   If you smell something, test for leaks with soapy water

Gas heavier than air (Reply 2723: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.msg279998#msg279998)

Hose connection & valve area (Reply 192: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg273659#msg273659 )

Flashback near the control valve (reply 274: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg279722#msg279722 )

If anyone has more (or better) safety tips to add please chime in.

Dave

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks, I remember seeing those posts before and reread them.  I'm just not mechanically inclined enough  to try and repair my grill, especially if I must modify it to gain access to the inside.

I never got flame coming out of the knob, just straight up in the front right corner.

I can't believe there is a plastic tube in there, I would  have expected all metal parts.  I assume the tube was leaking which caused the leak to ignite and melt the tube and valve knob. I would presume there is nothing controlling the flow of gas now except the regulator on the tank.

I left an email with Blackstone and will follow up on Monday.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:19 AM »
Thanks, I remember seeing those posts before and reread them.  I'm just not mechanically inclined enough  to try and repair my grill, especially if I must modify it to gain access to the inside.

I never got flame coming out of the knob, just straight up in the front right corner.

I can't believe there is a plastic tube in there, I would  have expected all metal parts.  I assume the tube was leaking which caused the leak to ignite and melt the tube and valve knob. I would presume there is nothing controlling the flow of gas now except the regulator on the tank.

I left an email with Blackstone and will follow up on Monday.
Everything in the valve box area is metal, including the tube.  The gasket between the steel tube and valve body is non-metal but that is standard grill design.
Dave