Author Topic: How far west does General Mills ship Bromated flour?  (Read 875 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
How far west does General Mills ship Bromated flour?
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Anyone know?  It is a cold snowy day homebound day here in OH and my wife and I are talking about moving to Reno NV at some point.  I would want to open a small pizzeria and wonder if the flour makes it that far?  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: How far west does General Mills ship Bromated flour?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
Walter,

If you don't find out the information from a forum member you might want to call Joe Kelly.  I posted Joe's number at Reply 24 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25618.msg258606.html#msg258606

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SGiraud

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
I was at the International Baking Convention in Vegas last fall and was talking to the guys at the GM booth about bromate.  They said that it is only California that doesn't get bromate in All Trumps (one of General Mills high gluten flours).  As you know, it is the labeling requirement in CA that caused the whole thing.  GM decided to omit bromate rather than put a skull and crossbones on the label. I can't remember what they get instead for the conditioner response that bromate gives.  Was it Ascorbic Acid?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »
I can't remember what they get instead for the conditioner response that bromate gives.  Was it Ascorbic Acid?
SGiraud,

What General Mills uses as a substitute for potassium bromate is ascorbic acid.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
I was at the International Baking Convention in Vegas last fall and was talking to the guys at the GM booth about bromate.  They said that it is only California that doesn't get bromate in All Trumps (one of General Mills high gluten flours).  As you know, it is the labeling requirement in CA that caused the whole thing.  GM decided to omit bromate rather than put a skull and crossbones on the label. I can't remember what they get instead for the conditioner response that bromate gives.  Was it Ascorbic Acid?

thanks for that info!  Walter

Offline Magg

• NY Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
Anyone know?  It is a cold snowy day homebound day here in OH and my wife and I are talking about moving to Reno NV at some point.  I would want to open a small pizzeria and wonder if the flour makes it that far?  Walter
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Hi Waltertore, I live in Reno but grew up in NY. I can't seem to find All Trumps flour locally in store's but I haven't tried any of the food distributers yet and don't know if they will sell to me, I order All Trumps flour online but it's pricey with the shipping but it's worth it for me because I find it does make a big difference in the pizza.

Offline becca11

• love pizza and learning!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »
I've been trying to hunt down AT bromated myself (I'm in Montana)..... I found the email for the sales rep that handles the west coast. He just got back to me and said that they "do not produce" bromated flour on the west side. I don't understand why this is, maybe the demand isn't high enough. It's a bummer though....shipping across the country for business use would be a fortune. Anyway, here is his info...harry.stuart@genmills.com 415-242-1516 .... If you do find it please post, Becca

Offline Magg

• NY Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:36:51 AM »
I've been trying to hunt down AT bromated myself (I'm in Montana)..... I found the email for the sales rep that handles the west coast. He just got back to me and said that they "do not produce" bromated flour on the west side. I don't understand why this is, maybe the demand isn't high enough. It's a bummer though....shipping across the country for business use would be a fortune. Anyway, here is his info...harry.stuart@genmills.com 415-242-1516 .... If you do find it please post, Becca
                                                                                                                                                                                                      That might explain why all the pizza shops I tried here in Reno have pretty bad pizza. I gave up trying to find any good ones. Making my own is the only way to go here, although there is a Grimaldi's in Sparks with a good dough but I don't care for fresh mozz. on it. Just bought a Bakers Pride oven (Model P22S-BL brick lined) have yet to try though.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
Another ingredient that is sometimes added to flours instead of potassium bromate is azodicarbonamide. I have not seen it in domestic flours from the major millers in the U.S. but I have seen it in flour ingredients lists in Mexico, where it is very common, and also in Mexican flours that are exported to the U.S. (I have seen it in stores near me in Texas that cater to Hispanics). I have also seen it on occasion in ingredients lists for certain baked goods in restaurants and in some baked goods in supermarkets (like breads). Azodicarbonamide has recently come under fire when it was discovered that the Subway chain was using it in its breads. Subway is responding to the criticism by saying that it is going to remove that additive from its breads, as discussed, for example, at http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-06/subway-removing-rubber-chemical-from-bread#r=rss.

Peter

pizzapan