Author Topic: Pizza Hut Next Generation Restaurant Formats--Slices  (Read 580 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Pizza Hut Next Generation Restaurant Formats--Slices
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
Peter,

Their new format actually seems pleasant.  Quickly glancing at the caption stimulated the impression that New York City was one of the initial locations, but then I noticed it is York, Nebraska.  A tiny city in the midwest plus a city in a tiny state to start things off is an interesting choice.  I wonder if they really have much confidence in this endevour or its current implementation.

- November

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
Nebraska is a test market (you wouldn't want to test something in a giant coastal city and expect it to work in Wyoming).    :chef:

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
Nebraska is a test market (you wouldn't want to test something in a giant coastal city and expect it to work in Wyoming).    :chef:

That's self-evident.  Anyplace they test is a test market.  However, the inverse of your explanation is also true, in that you wouldn't want to test a product in York, Nebraska and expect it to automatically work in NYC.  So what I originally questioned concerning confidence remains undetermined.  They decided not to test their new format in a bigger city where it would have cost them more to setup.  This smaller investment points to a cautious, and possibly timid approach.

- November
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:18:23 PM by November »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
Columbus has always been Test Market Central because Columbus is (or was) the most average city in the United States. Although the demographics have changed considerably since the late 90s, thus possibly making it NOT the most average city in the US, Columbus still seems to be Test Market Central (especially considering how many phone calls I receive from a test marketing firm). The fast food items that most people may have gotten to try once or twice have been regular menu items here in Columbus for quite a while at one time or another. Like McDonald's pizza. Although I've heard mythical-sounding stories about McDonald's pizza from people elsewhere in the United States, we actually had that menu option for quite a while.

pizzapan