Author Topic: looking for par baked advice  (Read 1285 times)

Offline agare

• I Love Pizza!
looking for par baked advice
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Hi Everyone, new to the site but glad I stumbled across it.

We are going to start selling pizzas to a cafeteria this spring and plan to ship them par baked pizzas to be cooked the next day.  We use a rotating convection oven but they use an Impinger forced hot air oven and we are having trouble replicating our taste using this oven.  I am very satisfied with how the pizzas are turning out visually but the cheese isn't cooking right.  The outer layer or the part that browns has a nice taste to it but the layer below badly tastes reheated(we use roughly 20 oz of mozzerella per 16 in pizza).  We are par baking the pizzas 3/4(17 minutes or so) of the way and cooling them immediately in our walk-in.  Then we are cooking them anywhere from 4 - 5 minutes using the impinger depending on the toppings.  Any suggestions?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: looking for par baked advice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
First of all, that's a ton of cheese. That could be a big part of the problem. Possibly even a bigger problem is that you're just giving away money by putting half a pound too much cheese on every pizza you sell. Also, that much cheese might turn people off; even people who love tons of cheese.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
Hi Everyone, new to the site but glad I stumbled across it.

We are going to start selling pizzas to a cafeteria this spring and plan to ship them par baked pizzas to be cooked the next day.  We use a rotating convection oven but they use an Impinger forced hot air oven and we are having trouble replicating our taste using this oven.  I am very satisfied with how the pizzas are turning out visually but the cheese isn't cooking right.  The outer layer or the part that browns has a nice taste to it but the layer below badly tastes reheated(we use roughly 20 oz of mozzerella per 16 in pizza).  We are par baking the pizzas 3/4(17 minutes or so) of the way and cooling them immediately in our walk-in.  Then we are cooking them anywhere from 4 - 5 minutes using the impinger depending on the toppings.  Any suggestions?
You might want to reduce your par bake time a lil enough to not brown/crust over that cheese. Or maybe cover them with foil while par baking.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline agare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the response!  I am wary of taking too much cheese off of our pizza because that is one of our trademarks.  However I am going to try removing a few ounces to see if it helps the cause.  Also thanks bob, we often use foil in our normal baking process to slow down cooking on 1/2 and 1/2 pizzas so trying it on a parbaked is may be a good idea.  I will try it out and report back.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
Why parbake at all? That just creates more work, and for far lower quality pizza than if you didn't parbake. Why not just assemble the pizzas on pans and refrigerate them, then let the cafeteria fully bake the pizzas? That way they serve better pizza and it takes a lot less work. It would be so much more efficient, and it would use less energy (both labor energy and gas/electric energy).

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
Does this pizza have your name on it, or is it just "pizza"?

Offline agare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
I would love to send the pizzas pre-made but the company does not want this.  They want a low cook time and are very comfortable with par bakes because the company they previously worked with had done this.  Our pizza will definitely be branded not just "pizza."  I have a second test bake in their kitchen next week so I am planning to bring a variety of par bakes prepared in different ways.  If anyone has anymore suggestions please send them my way.  Thanks!

Offline J_moraTN

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
I have had to parbake pizzas in the past when I worked at my fathers pizzeria in south florida. Every year on black friday and 4th of july cause of the high volume of people. His store was in a mall so we were open all night black friday and there was a 4th of july event that was insane. what we do is stretch it put little sauce so it doesn't dry out cook for few minutes let it cool stack them by tens sauce touches sauce dough touch dough dont stack with sauce on bottom of dough. My question for you is how long are they keeping the parbaked pizzas before using them? An the guys are right  20 oz mozz your losing money I think for a 16 in pizza 11-13 oz is good. Hope this helps

Jonny

pizzapan