Author Topic: Pizza Oven Recommendation  (Read 3151 times)

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Oven Recommendation
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
Hello, new member and first post following introduction. I am hoping to get some advice from this great forum.  :chef:

I am building an outdoor cooking station that will have a Weber propane grill / side burner, wood fired pizza oven, and work area. I would like to get some feedback and recommendations on the pizza oven.

My requirements for a WBO include fully assembled, portable, proven, warranty backed - AND makes a terrific pizza. My price range is approximately $2500. I usually cook 2-3 pies but may cook more or some occasions. I know my space restraints and budget will not allow for a VPN spec oven, however I would like to be able to make Neapolitan and NY style pizzas.

My initial research has identified the Forno Bravo Primavera and Strada ovens, Forno Toscano Margherita, and Alfa Forno 5 minuti.

Looking for feedback pros / cons, recommendations, or other considerations.

Thanks in advance for all your help. ;D

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Oven Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »

Looking for feedback pros / cons, recommendations, or other considerations.

Anybody?

Apologies if this has already been discussed before. I did some searches and could not find anything.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
I don't know about brands, but with your criteria, pick a small oven with minimal mass and decent insulation.  I do think you will find, however, that you will end up making 4-8 pizzas most time instead of 1-3.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
You may want to consider spending a little more and get something that will last and provide you with quality cooking results.

Antoine
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:54:39 AM by breadstoneovens »
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
Any of the brands you listed above won't give you the quality you are looking for.
You may want to consider spending a little more and get something that will last and provide you with quality cooking results.

Antoine

Antoine - I am open to suggestions. Please let me know what you recommend?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
Authentic Neapolitan pizza can be made in the FB Primavera. I have the 28" version. Here are some threads with pizza that has come out of my oven:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28377.msg286169.html#msg286169
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24862.msg250992.html#msg250992
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24427.msg247603.html#msg247603
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20557.msg203335.html#msg203335

It is not ideal for anything other than 13 inch pizzas, cooked one at a time. You can get 14-15 inch pizzas in for NY style, but the space is not conducive to it. I have baked up to 40 pizzas in one firing. It stays hot once you get it up to temp and keep a good flame going. After that the temp will drop pretty quickly. Bread is doable but the window is very small.

It is definitely a fun little oven though.

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
He recommends the ovens he sells, obviously.  You should give disclosure when you make statements like that Antoine, BTW, unless you have personal experience cooking  and owning each of them. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
I didn't see him make any recommendation....a blanket statement about the possibilities may not have had proper consideration though.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »
Authentic Neapolitan pizza can be made in the FB Primavera. I have the 28" version.
It is definitely a fun little oven though.
John

John, thank for your feedback - although now I find myself hungry after looking at the great food on your website. :drool:

How long have you had your primavera - and did you consider any other WBO when you were researching?

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
I didn't see him make any recommendation....a blanket statement about the possibilities may not have had proper consideration though.

Bob

Bob - any recommendations from you?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
Bob - any recommendations from you?
Fire,
I am not a WFO guy...not by a long shot.
I do know my way around this forum and have tried to stay abreast with all the stuff these guys/gals come up with...they are good.
Particularly, member "dellavecchiva", John, does extremely well with his lil Primavera. Jus check this out...https://masseria.exposure.so/pizza-napoletana

Remember/research this: I often hear many say they wish they had gone "bigger". And from what I have seen, the Four Grand Mere ovens, for price point and quality....I would really lean towards those if I was not so lazy and didn't enjoy the near instant gratification my little Black Stone engine affords.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:39:40 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
He recommends the ovens he sells, obviously.  You should give disclosure when you make statements like that Antoine, BTW, unless you have personal experience cooking  and owning each of them.
You are correct Tom, I tend to push for quality and should disclose that I have a business that sell wood fired ovens.

Antoine

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:12:28 AM by breadstoneovens »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
I only sell bricks, but I find that I do better talking about the benefits of buying my product from me, I let the competition speak for themselves.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »
I only sell bricks, but I find that I do better talking about the benefits of buying my product from me, I let the competition speak for themselves.
I have the same philosophy...unfortunately, often times that leads to the question of "why shouldn't I go the cheap(er) route".

Bob

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
If I was going to buy another oven in the price range you are working with, I would probably go with Forno Classico. The Piccolo is a great oven that can produce real Neapolitan pizza. You can take a look at Omid's work with it, which is simply stunning:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg288496.html#msg288496

When researching ovens, make sure you take into consideration what comes out of it just as much as specs, and get advice from those who have experience with the ovens. This forum is for the exchange of ideas in pizza making - not a sales platform for resellers or manufacturers.

John

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
This forum is for the exchange of ideas in pizza making - not a sales platform for resellers or manufacturers.
John

Point taken, thank you John!  :-[

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
Sorry for my previous post, I do get passionate about the ovens.

Here are my recommendation:
- Oven with metal dome are affordable yet offer very little thermal mass. They heat-up fast, you can cook pizza as long as you keep a really good fire going. Some recovery time is necessary between pizza. Let the fire die down and it doesn't cook anymore.

- Pizza ovens, with thin floor and dome, medium price range, take a little longer to heat-up but do better on thermal mass. Once the fire has died down you can a cook bread or a roast but that will be it.

- Wood fired ovens, higher price range, take a while to heat-up but have superior thermal mass. Once you oven has been heated-up, you can remove the fire and still cook pizza for hours. After that you can cook bread, roast, pies, cakes and much more. You have a range of temperature over 3 to 4 days to cook anything you want, all that with a single fire.

As Tom said, the better ovens are the hand built ones with true refractory bricks.

The price also goes up as the oven is better equipped with doors, flue connector, insulation and so on, fully assembled.

Refractory ovens are very hard to build, even the best one can crack at time so it is important to review the warranty before making the purchase.

Antoine

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
There is a fine line between the idea of pizza making and commerce, and it is one that I have to be aware of as a Moderator all of the time. In my own case, I tend to treat each situation on its own merits and to make a judgment call in each case. To be sure, we have members who join the forum solely to promote their wares. And they often try to disguise that fact and do sneaky things to conceal their real motives. Most of their posts don't see the light of day because they are quickly seen (often with the kind help of other members who report the spam) and moved to the Moderator's board. In aggravated cases, the members might even be banned. Sometimes I will tell them privately that they have crossed the line or are close to it. I do this even when I think that what they have to say or want to promote might be of interest to our members. My practice in these cases is to tell such members that if they want to advertise they can become Supporting Members and post in the Advertisement boards.

But, on the other hand, we have members who started out on the forum or came to the forum to enhance their existing knowledge about pizza making and who then went on to become professionals. I tend to cut them some slack because they were usually valued contributing members of the forum and we all grew up together on the forum and take pride in their accomplishments. So, if they want to give their pizzeria or business a plug from time to time, and maybe even sell things to our members as a small side business (by instruction from Steve it can't be the full-time job of the member), that usually doesn't bother me. In reality, this doesn't happen a lot because they are consumed by their businesses and have too little time to visit the forum. And in many of the cases they are Supporting Members who could have posted in the Advertisement boards had they chosen to do so. The real grey area is members who make valued contributions to the forum but whose primary objective is to sell something. They are the ones who have to pay the closest attention to the line between pizza making and commerce.

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
 like john i own a primavera 70 that is 4 years old.i can tell you it is a very nice oven and can cook a great  neapolitan pizza.if you are cooking small quantities of pies it is perfect after you master cooking in a small area. since you have a 2500.00 limit it is over your budget when you consider the shipping charges. the option is to buy it in kit form which will save shipping cost and build it yourself. forno bravo has a 32 inch oven kit that gives more cooking area.this may be a better choice as the increased cost is still under your budget.
 lots of great ovens out there your budget limits your choices. all i can tell you is the primavare can do what you want it to do.

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
If I was going to buy another oven in the price range you are working with, I would probably go with Forno Classico. The Piccolo is a great oven that can produce real Neapolitan pizza. You can take a look at Omid's work with it, which is simply stunning:
John

John, if I understand you correctly you are currently using a FB Primavera - with what appears to be excellent results. Why would you choose the Forno Classico if you were going to buy another oven?