Author Topic: Pizza Oven Recommendation  (Read 2587 times)

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Oven Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
l since you have a 2500.00 limit it is over your budget when you consider the shipping charges.

Thank you for your note. I am a bit flexible with my budget for the right oven.

However, I have a hard time justifying the $750 shipping charges that FB is quoting me to Massachusetts.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
John, if I understand you correctly you are currently using a FB Primavera - with what appears to be excellent results. Why would you choose the Forno Classico if you were going to buy another oven?

I like the look of the brick interior, and I like the stand. I had a stand custom-made for my oven - this was before FB offered a stand - and it is starting to show it's age. The interior of my oven is starting to show it's age as well. From the looks of the FC, it seems to be better built. It is a little more expensive though.

John

Offline jayl65

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
I have been on a search for a new oven myself but have different requirements than you. Since you are on the east coast I would look at Grill'sNovens.com. They have modular kits as well as pre assembled. They have a new brick pre assembled oven made in Portugal that looks good. Also Belforno in Charlotte NC has modular kits and the shipping for both would be less for you on the east coast. Like you I know I cant afford a true VPN style oven. But for me, Im also not interested in one. I want much more versatility and don't mind a larger door, higher vault since I want to roast turkeys and smoke pork etc also. As for pizza I have been to Naples and had true Neapolitan pizza and jus got back from vegas where  I had true VPN certified pizza several times at Settebello. As much as I love this style of pizza I find it to be boring after a while. To limited in ingredients and the taste profile is very tight. So for me I get why everyone strives for true VPN pizza here on this forum. I myself would only choose to make it occasionally. I would much prefer NY style ore Chicago style. Pan pizza like Pizzarium or just a great roasted chicken or some nice steaks made over the coals.  But alas, this is a pizza forum.

My short list includes FGM from Antoine and Fogazzo made in Ca. I know FGM is a better oven , but it will cost me almost $2000 more.  Los Angeles Ovenworks and Mugnaini are very similar and use the same supplier for their oven floors. LAOW had a great 20% off sale recently. Could make up for the shipping to the east coast. But most of these ovens are modular and not pre assembled. Not sure if you want to go that route.

Have you called any of these suppiers and chatted with them? This will give you a sense of what you can expect. I had terrible customer service from FB. That alone gave me pause as to doing business with them.  Ive had great conversations with Breadstone, Fogazzo,Beforno, Ovens'ngrils, Los Angeles Ovenworks, and   Earthsotne. I've called many more to get information and their response has been less than stellar.  These are the vendors I would trust at this point. But please keep in mind I still have not purchased an oven yet. Im still looking so my advice should be taken with that in mind.

Good luck shopping.

Offline moetard

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
I recently purchased the 36" kit from SuperiorClay and I am very pleased with it.  I bought it through the local brick supply company and shipping only added $175.  It arrived from Ohio to Texas within 5 days.  I used a ceramic fiber blanket rather than the product they offered.  They were very flexible and sold me only the pieces I wanted.  I bought the dome/tunnel kit and chimney. 

Offline FireWithin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

My "simple" project has taken on a new life. I may have talked myself from my initial concept to something a bit more elaborate.

May the pizza gods have mercy on me.

Offline Matchu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
I have an oven from Antoine. The Neopolitan. It ain't the largest or priciest, but it's darn good. The amount of insulation is what makes this baby sing. And the craftsmanship. The oven is a Four Grand Mere and is amazing. I was looking at FB as well, but Antoine's seem more artisan and custom, not mass produced. Maybe there's not a lot of difference, but if I'm making "artisan" pie, I like to think my oven is created, too, not manufactured.

And customer service? Antoine helped me from start to finish. Luckily, I live in the area where Antoine is. He came out several times to make sure everything was going as planned. I still call him asking for advice.

Definitely consider one. Heck, call him. He loves to speak with folks interested in every aspect of WFO.

Offline Matchu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
Here are some photos of my Neo in action. Again, couldn't be happier.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:26:29 PM by Steve »

pizzapan