Author Topic: Found Giordanos ingredient list (Peter can you look at this?)  (Read 5751 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Found Giordanos ingredient list (Peter can you look at this?)
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
I saw that after what Giordano's did there was a new Senate Bill 1692 in Illinois to keep other businesses from doing some of the same things Giordano's did.  http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=54414c4a-1e40-4ac0-b226-7c6b001f501b  I guess that doesn't really matter but it must have meant something if Illinois passed a new bill.

Norma,

There were some pretty weird things that happened in this case, as this brief report makes clear: http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/article/bankruptcy_of_giordanos_pizza_chain_complicated_by_owners_sovereign_citizen/

Peter
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:04:16 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »
Norma,

There were some pretty weird things that happened in this case, as this brief report makes clear: http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/article/bankruptcy_of_giordanos_pizza_chain_complicated_by_owners_sovereign_citizen/

Peter

Thanks for the link about what happened in Giordano's case.  I clicked on the click here in your link to view or post other comments.  It sure did get wacky.  :o

If no one else wants to send another email to Giordano's I will get my daughter's email address and send what you said to ask about their frozen pizzas.  I did contact Ceresota this morning and asked them some questions.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
In the course of the Giordano's bankruptcy proceedings, the Trustee in bankruptcy was forced to sue certain franchisees because of their failure to pay royalties and because they were using ingredients not authorized by the franchisor (Giordano's). Because these issues were affecting the prospective sale of Giordano's, a settlement was reached with the non-compliant franchisees. I managed to find the court document in which these matters were discussed, at http://www.kccllc.net/giordanos/document/1106098110920000000000010.

There were a few interesting tidbits in the above document that relate to the ingredients and other aspects pertaining to the dough used by the franchisees. For example, at numbered page 13 of the document, the price that Chicagoland franchisees would be charged by the commissary for dough balls was "$7.45 per tray to $7.00 per tray". Apparently, under the settlement agreement, franchisees were given the right, subject to approval by the franchisor, to make their own dough and sauce. But, they would not be allowed to use just any spice packet. They would have to continue to buy the spice packets from the commissary (see numbered pages 13-15 of the above cited document). As previously mentioned, one of the items that Greco & Sons has in its catalog is something called Giordano spices: http://net3.necs.com/grecoandsons/catalog/item/50582. Earlier in this thread, at Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29776.msg297991#msg297991, the "Sauce Seasoning" for the Giordano's frozen heart-shaped pizza was given simply as "(Salt, Spices, Garlic Powder), Basil". Whether Greco is the supplier of the spice packets is not entirely clear but clearly Giordano's felt that the spice packets were a material component of their sauce and pizzas that they did not want their franchisees to mess with.

In similar vein, it will also be noted that Greco carries spice packs called Connies: http://net3.necs.com/grecoandsons/search?offset=0&limit=60&col=item_no&dir=ASC&terms=spice&queryCol=. And one for Nancy's: http://net3.necs.com/grecoandsons/catalog/item/70549.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:40:25 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »
I don't know if this was posted about before or not, but when searching I saw these Giordano's stuffed crust pizzas in this kind of packagings.  http://otherwiseinc.com/Packaging_SignageDesign.aspx?sg=15&wi=163&pgId=1  I don't know if there is an ingredient list on those kind of packagings or not.  I don't know if someone contacted that company saying they might be interested in packaging if the company would send a closer view, or photo of what is on the top part of the frozen pizzas packaging.  This might be the company to contact if this never has been posted before.  http://www.crossovercollective.com/design-services/product-packaging/  Does anyone know if Giordano's still sell their frozen stuffed crust pizzas packaged the way that is show in the photo?

My daughter did send Giordano's a message, asking some questions, on their contact page Friday night but did not hear from them yet.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
Norma,

I did see examples of the packaging used by Giordano's in Google Images but even with amplification of the photos I couldn't tell if ingredients were recited. Since the ingredients list that Nate (pythonic) provided in the opening post in this thread was for a frozen stuffed pizza, I assume that the packaging for all of the Giordano's stuffed pizzas provides ingredients used to make those pizzas. But no Nutrition Facts as yet. Maybe that will follow once Giordano's reaches a sales volume where it is required to provide the Nutrition Facts.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Peter,

When does a company have to provide Nutrition Facts for frozen foods that are sold in supermarkets?  That might be a dumb question, but I wonder what sales volume must be met. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
When does a company have to provide Nutrition Facts for frozen foods that are sold in supermarkets?  That might be a dumb question, but I wonder what sales volume must be met. 

Norma,

There are numerous exemptions to providing nutrition labeling of products sold to the public, whether they are sold in supermarkets or via mail-order, as in Giordano's case. Those exemptions are set forth in the FDA CFR document at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.9. In Giordano's case, they may be relying on the exemptions discussed starting at 21 CFR 101.9(j)(18) in the abovereferenced document. Those exemptions are based on the number of full-time equivalent employees and numbers of units sold in the U.S. during a particular 12-month period. The relevant parts of that document starts with this paragraph, which appears near the bottom of the document:

(18) Food products that are low-volume (that is, they meet the requirements for units sold in paragraphs (j)(18)(i) or (j)(18)(ii) of this section); that, except as provided in paragraph (j)(18)(iv) of this section, are the subject of a claim for an exemption that provides the information required under paragraph (j)(18)(iv) of this section, that is filed before the beginning of the time period for which the exemption is claimed, and that is filed by a person, whether it is the manufacturer, packer, or distributor, that qualifies to claim the exemption under the requirements for average full-time equivalent employees in paragraphs (j)(18)(i) or (j)(18)(ii) of this section; and whose labels, labeling, and advertising do not provide nutrition information or make a nutrient content or health claim.

The actual exemptions are recited in detail after the above paragraph.

Happy reading ;D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
Norma,

There are numerous exemptions to providing nutrition labeling of products sold to the public, whether they are sold in supermarkets or via mail-order, as in Giordano's case. Those exemptions are set forth in the FDA CFR document at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.9. In Giordano's case, they may be relying on the exemptions discussed starting at 21 CFR 101.9(j)(18) in the abovereferenced document. Those exemptions are based on the number of full-time equivalent employees and numbers of units sold in the U.S. during a particular 12-month period. The relevant parts of that document starts with this paragraph, which appears near the bottom of the document:

(18) Food products that are low-volume (that is, they meet the requirements for units sold in paragraphs (j)(18)(i) or (j)(18)(ii) of this section); that, except as provided in paragraph (j)(18)(iv) of this section, are the subject of a claim for an exemption that provides the information required under paragraph (j)(18)(iv) of this section, that is filed before the beginning of the time period for which the exemption is claimed, and that is filed by a person, whether it is the manufacturer, packer, or distributor, that qualifies to claim the exemption under the requirements for average full-time equivalent employees in paragraphs (j)(18)(i) or (j)(18)(ii) of this section; and whose labels, labeling, and advertising do not provide nutrition information or make a nutrient content or health claim.

The actual exemptions are recited in detail after the above paragraph.

Happy reading ;D.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for finding the exemptions set forth the in the FDA CFR document.  It all sounds like a mumbo jumbo to me, but I understand more now.  I look at a lot of Nutrition Facts since being on the forum and thought most frozen products at the supermarket needed Nutrition Facts, but maybe I did not look at enough frozen products.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Norma,

Most frozen pizzas sold in supermarkets have Nutrition Facts because the companies behind them are large and have large volumes. Being large isn't always the case, however. For example, Home Run Inn only has a handful of pizzerias but sells millions of dollars worth of frozen pizzas. Giordano's has around 44 pizzerias but maybe not enough frozen pizzas sales to require them to provide nutrition information for those pizzas. But that might change and may be one of the reasons why Giordano's says that it is going to start providing that kind of information sometime soon. But I suspect the new nutrition disclosure regulations out of Washington that apply to restaurants may be a bigger reason.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
Norma,

Most frozen pizzas sold in supermarkets have Nutrition Facts because the companies behind them are large and have large volumes. Being large isn't always the case, however. For example, Home Run Inn only has a handful of pizzerias but sells millions of dollars worth of frozen pizzas. Giordano's has around 44 pizzerias but maybe not enough frozen pizzas sales to require them to provide nutrition information for those pizzas. But that might change and may be one of the reasons why Giordano's says that it is going to start providing that kind of information sometime soon. But I suspect the new nutrition disclosure regulations out of Washington that apply to restaurants may be a bigger reason.

Peter

Peter,

I thought most frozen pizzas had Nutrition Facts.  Even most frozen dough balls have Nutrition Facts.  I did not about know the new nutrition disclosure regulations out of Washington that will apply to restaurants.  Hopefully that only applies to big restaurants with chains.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:47 PM »
Norma,

Peter
Stay on 'em hound dog!  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2014, 06:32:46 AM »
I wonder how this supermarket sells the Giordano's pizza at these prices.  “Ladies and gentlemen today is an epic moment in the history of the grocery business. We are now carrying GIORDANO'S stuffed deep dish frozen pizza. Giordano's is a world famous pizza restaurant located in Chicago. We are the ONLY store that has these available!! Please share this post with friends and help us spread the word! This is an amazing pizza!!” posted by Lindy's Downtown Market on facebook.   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lindys-Downtown-Market/191154793788  I made some dumb comments on their page.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:30 AM »
Norma,

Since I am not a Facebook member can you tell us what your "dumb comments" were ?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
Norma,

Since I am not a Facebook member can you tell us what your "dumb comments" were ?

Peter

Peter,

I just said dumb stuff and acted like I did not know Lindy's Downtown Market was in Washington, IL.  I said I thought Lindy's was in Washington, DC and would have loved to purchase some frozen Giordano's pizzas if Lindy's was nearer to me.  I asked if there was an ingredient list somewhere on the packaging and Lindy's said yes, they thought there was.  I wanted to see if an ingredient list was provided in the new packaging for Giordano's if it was the same ingredient list Nate posted at the beginning of this thread.  I tried to copy all what members of facebook posted about Lindy's carrying the Giordano's frozen pizzas, but I could not copy that.

I also contacted Crossover Collective LLC to see if that was old packaging that might have had the same ingredient list.  I said I liked the way Giordano's packaging was designed and said I might want to offer my customers frozen pizzas.  I asked if I could have a blown up photo of that packaging to see.  This is what Todd Jones the Creative Director wrote me back. 

Hi
The giordanos work was done years ago – I don’t have any samples left I can shoot – I have seen these for sale in the Greek Town location. Regarding nutritional information – I don’t believe you need to do this – take “Homemade Pizza” for example – I don’t think I have ever seen the nutritional information. I would search online for that answer.

As far as design goes – I would guess somewhere in the 500-800 range – just depends on what exactly you want to do. A simple way may be to wrap the pie and then affix a label. Maybe keep them generic – leave a space to write: Cheese or pepperoni  - give it a real homemade/handmade feel.

I love doing this type of work and would be happy to talk about it more. Let me know if you want to talk

TODD JONES
CREATIVE DIRECTOR

In the end I learned nothing.  :-D

Norma

pizzapan