Author Topic: Ischia from refrigerator to dough  (Read 440 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Ischia from refrigerator to dough
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
My first trials in dough proofing and baking from a culture on its fully active day one, was a success. Working "00" in a Blackstone provided the best pizza pulled from the oven to date. Thank you all for the insights and guidance. The cultures were divided and are presently stored in the refrigerator. I hope to put them to use on a weekly basis for pizza or an occasional loaf of bread. I would like to be sure my process to use them on such a schedule is correct.

1. Do I pull them from the frig to countertop and have them warm to room temp and use them immediately according to recipe?

2. Do I pull them from the frig to countertop, add warm water, stir vigorously, remove half of mixture, add 2/3 cup flour and enough water for thick pancake like batter? Then let culture rectivate to say 2 inches, then use for recipe?

3. Do I pull them from refigerator, remove half of mixture, add 2/3 cup flour and enough warm water for thick pancake like batter, then let set until active by increasing by 2 inches and read to use?

Somebody best said that your culture is like a pet. So not want to kill it with kindness. Please advise.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ischia from refrigerator to dough
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
Roman,

I use my Ischia starter once a week and this is what I do:

Remove it from the fridge, stir with a wooden spoon and discard half of the mixture.  This is usually one cup of starter.  It is then fed with equal parts of lukewarm filtered water and AP flour.  It usually doubles in size within an hour or two at room temperature.  If it has been in the fridge for longer than a week, it might require two feedings to become fully active.

Once it is active, I use what I need and then immediately refrigerate the starter while it is still active.

There are other members here that leave their starters at room temperature and feed every 3 or 4 days.  I have not tried that yet.  Hope this helps you.
Mary Ann

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Mary Ann,

I thank you, my culture thanks you.

May all your pies be over the moon!

Roman

Online anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:32:07 AM »
don't forget to replace what you took out with equal parts flour/water before you throw it back in the fridge or the amount of starter you have will decline each time you do this :)
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Kale dog

• SO VEGAN DAIYA OMG SO GIF IMAGE
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
Roman,

I use my Ischia starter once a week and this is what I do:

Remove it from the fridge, stir with a wooden spoon and discard half of the mixture.  This is usually one cup of starter.  It is then fed with equal parts of lukewarm filtered water and AP flour.  It usually doubles in size within an hour or two at room temperature.  If it has been in the fridge for longer than a week, it might require two feedings to become fully active.

Once it is active, I use what I need and then immediately refrigerate the starter while it is still active.

There are other members here that leave their starters at room temperature and feed every 3 or 4 days.  I have not tried that yet.  Hope this helps you.

I'm in the process of that starter trying to wrangle wild yeasties 3/4 days so far nice and bubbly *quite surprised at this*

I need a dough that uses SD starter, new to this..
Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
I'm in the process of that starter trying to wrangle wild yeasties 3/4 days so far nice and bubbly *quite surprised at this*

I need a dough that uses SD starter, new to this..

Kale dog,

What type of pizza do you want to make first with your starter?
Mary Ann

Offline Kale dog

• SO VEGAN DAIYA OMG SO GIF IMAGE
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
Kale dog,

What type of pizza do you want to make first with your starter?

NY style
I love how thin i can make the dough with a little rim, and just a little chew in the crust i want the flavor of the dough to come through that's why i choose to start making my first SD :)
Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »
Kaledog,

I have not mastered NY style with starter yet, but I'm still experimenting.  You may want to check out this thread where member fazzari does a NY style pie with Ischia, although I have not tried his formula yet.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29760.0/topicseen.html

I have tried NP-ish using TXCraig1's entire process (except for the WFO part) with more success than making NY style using a starter.  Take a read through this thread, lots of useful information.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.0.html

It helps to document your process and formula and note changes every time you experiment.  Good luck  :chef:
Mary Ann

pizzapan